2019 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is correct !

I believe the pulse fishing ended April 1 and it is wide open now until the fall.
*There is a one week closure when Commercials get opening in May.

As noted very hard to find on DFO site but I think that is what I see...

The following areas are closed January 1 to March 31, 2019. Re-open April 1, 2019.

Subareas 19-7 to 19-12 (Saanich Inlet) are closed:

• December 1 to December 15, 2018
  • January 1 to January 15, 2019
  • February 1 to February 15, 2019
  • March 1 to March 15, 2019

Last edited:
So confusing when you don't have your bachelor of DFO site navigation and Masters in DFO language. From what you copy and pasted, it looks open. Can I get a confirmation on it being open by a few other anglers please in case Tips Up and I missed something. Don't want to break any rules. Thank you for your input.

I believe the pulse fishing ended April 1 and it is wide open now until the fall.
*There is a one week closure when Commercials get opening in May.

As noted very hard to find on DFO site but I think that is what I see...

The following areas are closed January 1 to March 31, 2019. Re-open April 1, 2019.

Subareas 19-7 to 19-12 (Saanich Inlet) are closed:

• December 1 to December 15, 2018
  • January 1 to January 15, 2019
  • February 1 to February 15, 2019
  • March 1 to March 15, 2019

You are right Tips, the pulse fishing ended March 31

... for Saanich inlet anyways.
I don't prawn Sidney or Pat Bay so not sure about that area.
You can always call DFO. I have had to do that before. They will confirm and email you the proper page.

Too bad the website is not more user friendly.
It shouldn't be that hard to set up.
I use search engines for information on my Supplier sites for work all day everyday and find what I need quickly.

I havent been out in a while as I sprained my ankle and cant really walk right now. Had to pull out of a friendly am-can derby this weekend because of it. The weather looked awful from shore but apparently the derby still went on and 5 fish were weighed in, winner was 12 or 13lbs. Not sure where it was caught or what it was caught on. I generally stay away from 2nd-hand reporting but figured it was worth noting.

Gave it a go with my old chum @Original today.

Tried Cordova spit and powder wharf for a few hours (noon-3pm) with nothing to show but some REALLY nice weather and some laughs.

I’m on one of my old Stizzla trademark skunk streaks, but my attitude says if I keep going that will be behind me soon :)

It’s going to be my breakout year folks. Just you wait!

Got 7 and 8 lb hatcheries last night at tide change, right off Wymond Point, both on needlefish spoons at 85 feet - both fish had tonnes of needlefish/sandlance in the bellies...no other boats except one, looked like he was drifting for halibut in between Hamley Point and the reef off Halibut Island?? Anyway, been following the Sidney reports for a while now and finally signed up - appreciate all the reports and tips in the forum from all the usual suspects...

Got 7 and 8 lb hatcheries last night at tide change, right off Wymond Point, both on needlefish spoons at 85 feet - both fish had tonnes of needlefish/sandlance in the bellies...no other boats except one, looked like he was drifting for halibut in between Hamley Point and the reef off Halibut Island?? Anyway, been following the Sidney reports for a while now and finally signed up - appreciate all the reports and tips in the forum from all the usual suspects...
We’re lucky to have you!

Had a 9lber yesterday at fairfax as well as a couple others that wiggled loose, 9lber was on a sandlance but most of the hits were on anchovy. Got an 8.7lber today at Coal on anchovy and released one that was probably undersized. Also had a really (really) good fish on, ran straight back from the boat at least a couple hundred feet and of course somebody cut in behind me maybe 75 or 100 feet behind on my starboard side and ran it over. There was a brownish or rusty colored abrasion where the line broke presumably from his downrigger line.

Had a 9lber yesterday at fairfax as well as a couple others that wiggled loose, 9lber was on a sandlance but most of the hits were on anchovy. Got an 8.7lber today at Coal on anchovy and released one that was probably undersized. Also had a really (really) good fish on, ran straight back from the boat at least a couple hundred feet and of course somebody cut in behind me maybe 75 or 100 feet behind on my starboard side and ran it over. There was a brownish or rusty colored abrasion where the line broke presumably from his downrigger line.
I witnessed the event. Looked like a great fish - we saw the initial strike bend your rod over and the fight. I saw that other boat that went in for a closer look and broke you off. Why do people do that? Is it that difficult to understand that a large fish is running away from your boat and you need to be given as much room as possible. Brutal.

I dont think they even realized what happened. The same boat cut me off twice in like a half hour before that. When I steamed over to give them ****, they said "You catching any fish?". Im like yah you just ran the ******* thing over. Sidney Anglers member too, he should know better.

I witnessed the event. Looked like a great fish - we saw the initial strike bend your rod over and the fight. I saw that other boat that went in for a closer look and broke you off. Why do people do that? Is it that difficult to understand that a large fish is running away from your boat and you need to be given as much room as possible. Brutal.
How did you do on the weekend?! Are you bringing me any halibut tomorrow??

I dont think they even realized what happened. The same boat cut me off twice in like a half hour before that. When I steamed over to give them ****, they said "You catching any fish?". Im like yah you just ran the ******* thing over. Sidney Anglers member too, he should know better.

Sorry to hear about the lost fish, but I can’t stop laughing at the rhetorical statement you dished back. Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back