Status
Not open for further replies.
Well went out fishing for some white gold and found a couple but it was just sure luck as I dont fish sooke often for halibut as many know(mostly oakbay /vic).Breaking in new power plant so took a buddy out just took a guess what looked like a ok spot on sounder gps and well dinner.....
53677054_265036311089645_2357043614997020672_n.jpg

Wolf I thought you just got a whole new engine and leg a few years ago?
Did you have some problems?

I did and 267 hours later catastrophic oil pump failure!!! right at end of season... So a brand new one went in again...

I did and 267 hours later catastrophic oil pump failure!!! right at end of season... So a brand new one went in again...
And some think there is big money in guiding....those new motors will take a bite out of the profits for the year!
My bet is you guide cause you love it, not for the money...eh?

Wow guess your not retiring then.
Never said I did ...was just diversifying what I do ... fishing is secondary to my new meat business. I love guiding and fishing always will but being forced out by government on their terms not mine is what hurts. I love meeting people from all over the world , what i will miss is seeing someone who has never fished before get a fish to me thats the greatest reward. btw fishing was good in sooke again today i have some dates available for halibut if anyone wants to go...
Fogged in luckily it was covered here was the oil pump
upload_2019-3-18_6-37-9.png

First outing in Sooke this year, thanks Kelly for the tip! Two nice winters, another good one lost at the boat as we forgot the net and had to gaff these whirly little fish! Made for some good laughs with my son! Skinny G and AP sandlace near or on bottom, 100-130'

Trolled from bluffs to trailer park and back 10 till 1:00 yesterday while soaking some crab traps in the basin.
No fish to be had and very little on the sounder.
Lots of crabs in traps. But only 4 keepers. Had traps spread out as I haven’t crabbed in sooke for a long time. 1 trap brought all the keepers so I know where to put them next time.

Nice day in the water with my son.

Anchored for hali yesterday off of Pedder. Lots of boats around. Nothing for us and didn't see much action around us but there were a couple of chickens at the cleaning station when we got in. Spoke to one guy at the ramp who had picked up a 40lber on Friday. Absolutely a beautiful day on the water.

Anchored off of Muir Creek for a few hours. Then tried Jordan River. Nothing, but no current, flat calm, sunny and warm so no complaints.

Anchored for hali yesterday off of Pedder. Lots of boats around. Nothing for us and didn't see much action around us but there were a couple of chickens at the cleaning station when we got in. Spoke to one guy at the ramp who had picked up a 40lber on Friday. Absolutely a beautiful day on the water.
Hey Newf, guess we met and spoke. I got the 40 Friday but could not find them Sat or Sun. They moved but not far as I was beside someone who did get them. Posted here.... Was a very rare weekends fishing, no wind all day, perfect tides/currents and sun. One worry is the amount of boats anchored, every hump, hole, shelf, reef had boats. =worry's me for future.

HM

Been slow the last few trips. Couple nice ones from Constance last week but nothing in/around the Sooke area. Hoping to start picking up soon. Been trying everything we know..

Anchored for Hali this morning off of Pedder. Lost a nice one around 9am, my buddy had a big skate around 11am and then we got a hali around 25lbs at 12:30. Only had herring for bait. There were a few boats around and another awesome day on the water.

Haven’t had any luck with Hali so far. Do you just wait it out at one spot or do you move around?

Thank you

Haven’t had any luck with Hali so far. Do you just wait it out at one spot or do you move around?

Thank you
I've only been anchoring for the last two years so others that have more experience at it than me may chime in but for me I stay in one spot. I don't have hot spots like seasoned guys, just go straight out from Williams Head at Pedder Bay until I hit 300-320ft and drop the hook. I check my bait every 25-30 min , change it up sometimes and add scent each time. Not much skill involved in what I do but I'm pretty patient and will stay until the current is too much for my comfort level. I have more dogfish days than Hali days but I keep trying. Your time will come.

Yesterday we anchored just inside the shipping lane boundary in front of Pedder and east of Race for two hours in 344 feet then two more hours in 310 feet (closer to the pinnacle) then swung into 280 with the ebb
. Three ratfish and a dogfish; (sorry for the build up) . It is indeed a grind out there this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back