Hali Rigs

I was once told if you would think twice about eating it so will halibut

I find fresh bellies ( from salmon I caught that day ) are unbeatable. Scent is key to drawing the Hali in.

Be patient, stick , stay and make them pay !! Anchor up prior to tide change and and then fish through it as long as you can stay on the bottom.

My 2018 Hali season was dismal though , so who am I to give advice ? Like has been said they are probably deeper and more scarce. It took me a while to get consistent Hali results and found that fishing the right tides / currents was the key rather than hey I got time this weekend let’s go.

If you want to hold it straight you can slide some surgical tubing onto the line above the hook and below the beads. Maybe a 1/2" to 3/4" piece. Wet it and slide it over the hook eye and crimp. Just a thought. A snell in 200# is pretty lame to pull off...

Derby

Thats exactly how I tie in my slider hook.I snell knot the bottom hook to the 90 lb then slide the next hook onto the mono then a tube similar to what you have there.When using herring, bellies or octopus you can slide the top hook to the desired length the wrap the mono three times around the shank of the hook and slide the tube over it to hold the wraps works Awesome !!

Tight lines
Billydoo

Thanks for all the great advice guys. love reading this forum. Ive been in hotels all around the world and always feel at home when reading posts on this website :) Stizzla, I love your posts - I hear we are both going through a rough patch on the water lol! I took some fresh octopus and salmon out of the freezer this morning and cant wait to get of work and launch the boat. I see there will be a nice slow tide this evening off Victoria.. As mentioned above, this will be my 9th trip out for hali and ive yet to land one!

Derby's solution to your slider issue is a good one, but frankly, I'd just fish it. I actually like seeing that hook sticking out like that, looks sticky. But make sure your swivels are in good shape because it could be a spinner in some current (not a bad thing probably),

fb

What size Halibut are you guys catching? I use 80 pound mono and haven't had a breakoff in a few years.
For me its not the size of halibut, But the number of dogfish that dictates the use of heavy leaders.

Back