How Do You Get through The Tough Times On The Water?

[QUOTE="Stizzla,
Take care guys, and capt Ed, I didn’t mean to be a “D” there, I just didn’t agree with that one.[/QUOTE]

Stizz , NO worries , Believe me as an ex commercial fisherman and Captain aboard a floating lodge for 10 years I have very thick skin. I do however still feel very strongly about the resource that we have and to keep it going for the future I hope we all take no more than we can use ourselves . Also I wasn't trying to get off topic on your thread But there are not many threads on any internet forum that don' go off on some kind of tangent

Last edited:
Most of us know the smell of Pepé le Pew.
Sometimes it just a time or two, sometimes it’s 5,6,7 or even more times in a row.

I have had some confidence battles with my fishing Lack of success, including right now. The shining light here is that I love fishing even when I’m not into them. But come one, they sure are fun to catch.

I’m telling myself: I know I WILL CATCH FISH AGAIN! ...Even big ones... Even many in a day. I will high five my net guy and be high fived when I am doing the netting!

Does anyone else have any tips or motivating words to help pick up a buddy when he or she is feeling down on their game?!

You remind of me years ago. I always say it takes at least a few years of slogging it out to get consistent, and you can't do it overnight.

A lot of us blank out and yes the guided ones do too don't let them fool you ( they won't say anything). Remember also that many outfits that fish around are networked text messages/ private VHF channels sharing info. So you can't compare your result to theirs.

Your fishing in tough area. Sidney is great but can be hit and miss as you know.

Best advice. Stick with it. Start understanding where the fish are at certain time, and pay attention to current changes. Don't get hung up on tides. These periods of current changes are very important. As it can tell after you know where the fish may be. Take Sooke for instance it is steep learning curve at beginning. Took me a few years, but can usually take out some fish on some slow days. When you can take out the fish on slow days that tells you your catching on. One of the biggest mistakes I made is chased bites. Stay where you are and work the area.

We have a saying in Sooke Gibbys point. That guy will pound areas for hours, and he usually is successful. Many times fish next to all the others where you are sick of making tacs and all the sudden it turns on. Many times it is when people have left gave up.

In Sooke you chase bites/wonder you lose your chances.

The other biggest important thing is logbook. Can't stress enough. Your going to find over time some patterns. When you understand those patterns it makes it easier. My rant for day.

My last 2 times out , fishing turned on 15 min after slack and we bonked one each day. I always try to be settled in a fishy spot around slack.

I usually take one of three friends out with me on a rotational basis. They take the starboard rod and I take the port side. When one of them are with me, 8 out of 10 times if we get fish it’s on their side of the boat. I can match their gear and depth on my side but they do better. Now, when I want a keeper for myself I go alone. Lol. Maybe I’ll give them the port side this year. I’ve had many days with no fish but it’s a joy just to be able to get on the water and keep trying. Hopefully we don’t lose that privilege.

Take the pressure off yourself to catch something.

The more pressure I put on myself to get into fish, the worse I fish. Enjoy being out there, have confidence in what your running. Once I loose my confidence and start flip flopping gear and locations it is game over. Gather some info on whats working currently as well as years past, follow your instinct on what has that fishy feel and giver! Listen to what your sounder tells you and adjust your depths and tack accordingly.

Pay attention to your details, dial in everything, leaders, snaps,hooks, bait or gear, flashers, bait brine, and get your magic on.
Fish the best tides, play hunches, befriend guys who catch fish!
You are qualified to catch fish, based on the time you put in. Do this stuff, you get some hits....

A few years back as I was walking down to try my luck at beach fishing, I met an old fellow (even older than me!) as he was slowly walking across the beach rocks on his way back to the road. He had a fishing rod but no fish and I asked him as he approached. "Any luck today?" He looked at me and said " You bet! I'm alive and kicking....and it's a beautiful day on the ocean".

This old fellow had it figured out. The wisdom of age. It's too bad it takes some of us until we are getting rusty to realize that it shouldn't really be about the catch but rather about the experience and that we are privileged to have the opportunity. We are among the luckiest people in the world to live here and be able to experience these privileges.
I'm getting tired of hearing about how many we can bonk. I too enjoy the challenge of catching fish and doing it well. I have been fortunate to have been able to catch more than my share over many years and I enjoy eating a few but I have also enjoyed releasing most of my catch, especially the big ones.

Enjoy your fishing, even the slow "tough" times. It's wonderful out there and it may not always be that way.

A few years back as I was walking down to try my luck at beach fishing, I met an old fellow (even older than me!) as he was slowly walking across the beach rocks on his way back to the road. He had a fishing rod but no fish and I asked him as he approached. "Any luck today?" He looked at me and said " You bet! I'm alive and kicking....and it's a beautiful day on the ocean".

This old fellow had it figured out. The wisdom of age. It's too bad it takes some of us until we are getting rusty to realize that it shouldn't really be about the catch but rather about the experience and that we are privileged to have the opportunity. We are among the luckiest people in the world to live here and be able to experience these privileges.
I'm getting tired of hearing about how many we can bonk. I too enjoy the challenge of catching fish and doing it well. I have been fortunate to have been able to catch more than my share over many years and I enjoy eating a few but I have also enjoyed releasing most of my catch, especially the big ones.

Enjoy your fishing, even the slow "tough" times. It's wonderful out there and it may not always be that way.
I love the this post so much!

Stizzla, if we didn't get skunked, we wouldn't appreciate the fish we catch. Nothing in the world beats a first light tach while taking your first sip of coffee. Enjoy the time out there and thank the ocean. Go to where the fish are. If you've got a trailer go launch at macaulay or cattle point and head out to constance bank. Fish are there and then you just have to flirt with them enough. At worst you enjoy Victoria's "offshore" spot and get to see some wicked boats.

Remember, its always about the memories you create and not the fish you catch, no matter how much sweeter the fish make it.

One time back in the early 1990's I was in a slump. It was in late August at Way pt. out of Ukee. Fishing back then was bonkers. To keep 12 springs in a morning for guests was the norm as we were allowed to keep 4 per day back then. My slump came on kind of sudden though. I was catching lots every day until one day it just stopped!! I was using the nicest anchovies ever and trolling at 35 and 45ft thru a mega bite but just couldn't get a hit. At one time every boat around had one or two fish on but nothing for me. Guy's using buzz bombs got limits! One guy was trolling a pink lady planer with a hootchy and no flasher. Even he limited out! Everyone told me not to worry and that I was just being unlucky for a few days. Being a guide I was under some pressure to catch fish. It was a bit stressful!!

I knew it couldn't be just me. I was using the sharpest hook and best bait in town but something was keeping the fish from climbing on my gear. After not sleeping till the mystery was solved it was one of the commercial fishermen that helped me out. He explained the science of electrical transfer from the down rigger cables to the ocean. I quickly bought a black box unit which controls the voltage going down the cable. Even that didn't help at first because what the real problem was is missing zing anode on one of my trim tabs. Back the I worked for a resort so boat maintenance was done from the maintenance guy. A trim tab had fallen off and the new one never had a zinc put on. Well once that was corrected I was back on again!!!

Not saying you shouldn't just relax and appreciate being on the water but sometimes there is something wrong and if you corrected it the time on the water is more fun! Good luck!

Tough times on the water?! Hey it’s nice pounding springs and being busy out there fishing. If it’s not, who cares, I’m still out on the water. Relax, take it all in and enjoy. There are some times when I’m out there and it’s slow, I still always say what a great f ing day!

It’s time for a secret...titled the thread that way on purpose.
I knew it would get people saying how nice it is to get out on the water, fish or no fish. If you guys see my reports you will read about how much I enjoy fishing even when I get skunks, tangles and lose cannonballs (often all in the same day)
:)
I can even make a negative sounding thread a positive one!

I love the this post so much!
Agreed 100%.
Post of the year so far. I wish there was a "Love" button on this forum! :)

... He explained the science of electrical transfer from the down rigger cables to the ocean. I quickly bought a black box unit which controls the voltage going down the cable.
Moral of the story: Only use braid on your DR and the skunk will go away. :D

Last edited:
Back