Georgia straight halibut

coast

I might be fishing out of area 17 this summer and am hoping to try for halibut... I fished this area last year for salmon and did not see anyone anchored for halibut... are the dogfish a big problem? I usually fish area 20 but have recently moved...

Dogfish are a plague not just a problem, plus whatever Hali that are found in the Strait are down hundreds of fathoms feeding on Hake-or so biologists tell us.

Certainly a few have been taken by dedicated anglers using the same techniques/bait and on similar tides that work on the Outside.

Heard of a hali riggered up last week i believe in Nanaimo.....

Last edited:
Few have the dedication to put days or weeks into maybe pulling up 1 hali around the southern straight. Some are caught incidentally while fishing for salmon and rockfish though.

Not that rare to hear of a hali taken on the rigger near bottom around Thormanby/Epsom Pt area.

August 2015 had a Hali right around 133cm while mooching light gear and live herring off young pt. Heard of more aswell from the same area

I spent a couple months in the summer of 2015 trying to find halibut in the Nanaimo area using a variety of techniques and came up with nothing but rockfish, dogs and lings.

I caught a hali while fishing for salmon off French Creek a few years back. It came after catching a few nice 20's springs over the day before. I thought man, this must be a 40+ pounder! Turned out to be a 20 lb-ish hali caught right in the middle of the "wrist" or whatever you call that part right before the tail starts. I pulled it up from 200' tail-first. The hook on the hootchie somehow snagged it there, and the skin was tough enough to hold the fish. Never before or afterwards have I caught one in the Strait.

Have caught one and had a cluster f%*k unintentional release around PR. Both we about 60lbs and we targeted. Haven't tried in the last couple years. Might be worth a try.

Caught one off thrasher in the hook, dragging bottom. Was during the Silva bay derby a few years back and won biggest bottom fish with the lucky fish

Back