Tell us about the boat that got away..

BigReel

Did you sell your dream boat?
Did you miss the best deal you've ever seen?
Did your buddy sell his boat without asking you?
Did someone offer $100 more and get the boat?

Tell your story or post a pic.

I loved this 300 sedan bridge. Twin 350's cruised all over the gulf islands with my wife. She caught her first salmon on this bad boy. Cruised at 20 knots maxed out at 30! We had our first baby on the way. I knew it was time to downsize for now. I traded the sea ray for a 1965 mustang.
O ya baby 2 came and then gone was the stang lol.
I've got my 17 ft viking and to be honest really happy with this tough little boat.
I can trailer anywhere and it slays!

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1554384500487.jpg
    FB_IMG_1554384500487.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_20190325_075050_478.jpg
    IMG_20190325_075050_478.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 165
Got into a bidding war for a Double Eagle 185 at Galleon Marine a couple of years ago. Owner listed for something like $17K one evening, me and three other guys were there the next morning offering $2-5K over asking. Pretty sure the guy who got it bid $500 more than me.

Few years ago was interested in a boat in Oregon. Was emailing back and forth for over a week. Nailed it down and told buddy i was on my way on the weekend I'd meet him Saturday. Myself and the 2 kids made a weekend out of it and went over to Seattle Friday night. Left early and got a ways out of town about 9am I phoned him tell him we're an hour and a half away and he says.....oh...sorry I sold the boat yesterday.

Few years ago was interested in a boat in Oregon. Was emailing back and forth for over a week. Nailed it down and told buddy i was on my way on the weekend I'd meet him Saturday. Myself and the 2 kids made a weekend out of it and went over to Seattle Friday night. Left early and got a ways out of town about 9am I phoned him tell him we're an hour and a half away and he says.....oh...sorry I sold the boat yesterday.
I had the same thing happen to me on a truck south of Seattle. Tell him on my way from Victoria,Wife and I fly to Seattle by float plane and rent car. Phone him and same thing sold it Yesterday. Some people.

I had the same thing happen to me on a truck south of Seattle. Tell him on my way from Victoria,Wife and I fly to Seattle by float plane and rent car. Phone him and same thing sold it Yesterday. Some people.

Same Sh#t happened to me with a Suburban in Bellingham 3 years ago. Got all the way down there after calling the GM dealer and telling him to hold the vehicle because based on what I read on line I'd take it. When I get there 3 hours later I can see two sales pricks talking about not showing me the vehicle because they might have another buyer. I gave him a piece of my mind but got the sense he could care less. I forget the name of the dealer but I wouldn't do business with them ever based on that experience. Sorry, off topic but the SUV was for pulling my dream boat.

Really wanted a newer hourston 182 searched for years for the right boat an 05 came up on Craigslist about 5 years ago low hour yam 150 excellent price in Vancouver I waited for 1 day to head over and lost it I've never seen as good a deal since and now that hourston is out of business I no longer can buy a new one

I put a "what do you think it's worth post" on this site for a good deal on a campion sedan. Didn't get a lot of response and phoned the seller a day or two later and they sold it to a guy on the island who was on his way to pick it up. You snooze you lose.

I usually ask if I can put a small deposit down to hold it if I feel confident it's what I'm looking for at the right price. . Sometimes they say it's not required and I haven't been burned yet. (knock on wood...)

Funny you should bring that up....since September I’ve had an itch to get a 27 footer, up a few feet from the 24 footer I have now. There was a Skagit Orca available I’ve been eyeing since last fall. Last week I finally made the mental gyration to call on it ....I put it off, then finally called this morning. I’m very interested, says I. Sorry, it sold this morning says he...

“Says he”...... rhymes with........ c’est la vie...

Here’s what slithered through my fingers.....

C612A2C3-87AD-4C39-AE7E-B03FC77702CB.jpeg

Ha ha...thanks for that, BCR...but funny thing....I tried to sell it last fall to step up for a bit bigger boat and all I heard was how the decals make the boat less "marketable".... we'll, maybe...no offers so I'm hanging on to it

IMG_20180724_074622.jpg

I don’t know about the other guys but I think you have a very nice rig and no, I wouldn’t remove the decals. BTW, that tandem trailer is less maintenance work than the triple axel on the 27’. Another reason to be happy....

When I first started looking at Sport boats I was still new at values and didn't really know what I was looking for. I was looking for anything from 21-24' and no particular make or model. I wanted to keep it under 30k. but was not stuck on that number. during my search I started to have some health issues that have now straightened them selves out but in the midst of that this came along $44,000 I passed as I was still worried about my health . I love the 2459 I ended up buying but still kick myself in the butt. Someone in Kamloops got a hell of a buyweldcraft.jpg weldcraft 1.jpg

Sharphooks, the orca without the flames would of been better, remove them if you try to sell again. Flames on a whale just doesn't make sense!

those could look like or almost be called waves....;)

2011 campion 542, only used in lakes, all the bells and whistles like new condition, Went for 30k in 2013 had an opportunity to buy it would of had to buy it sight unseen. Sold in hours, Someone got a sweet deal. Since then the Used marked has skyrocketed on them.

I tried for close to two months to buy a 27 Skagit Orca that was for sale in Vancouver (I'm in Victoria). I was the first caller so the seller assured me I would get first option to buy. Week after week I would call the seller and ask when I could see it,he would tell me it was in the water and he wanted to pull it and clean it up before viewing.He was an older guy so I understood his slow action (for a while). Each time I called I told him I was very interested and could see past the dirt if he would just let me see it.This went on for a month and a half and then I get a call from him telling me he has accepted a full price offer,sight unseen,from an American .I'm really pissed off but let it go thinking it just wasn't meant to be after all the grief.He then calls me 2 weeks later and tells me the American didn't come through with the money so I could have it if still interested. I was really pissed off now and told him what he could do with his boat. In the end it was a good decision not to buy it,it was a dream boat for me ,but too much boat for me to handle and it had an inboard -outboard which I will never own again. My 21 Aquasport w/225 Yamaha has turned out to be a perfect fit.

Hey Rayvon—-you’re making me feel bad...that might have been me...I was just telling another SBC member the story this morning...

But just for the record, the owner gave me the exact same run around you got, then he got coy when I wanted to know if it came with a trailer—-this was last September and I’ve seen that boat languish on the market since then for 7 months...I never showed any interest one way or the other due to owner’s goofy attitude

maybe we should have another thread called “Seller’s Who Deserve To Choke On Their Boats”....ha ha, I’m probably one of those also, especially when I got low-balled when mine was on the market—-I recall getting all agro’ on the guy, telling him he should stick with Bayliners because he didn’t know his boats...

Last edited:
I really like our Hourston and wanted one for a while. I do have time I wish I kept the Whaler and will likely go after another one but the only thing that would make this boat a keeper for life is to pod it and that is definitely in play with one more epic Volvo Penta issue. Not that it hasn't been reliable and it has a brand new leg but if something blows its brains I am making a move.

It was a bit of a PITA to buy the seller was super disengaged and the broker on the other side was too. It took a few months but fortunately it was the middle of winter and we got it done regardless.

Back