Herring Petition

Squid are around far more than 2-3 months. We just had a feed caught off my dock in the Deer group islands. Squid are now in Barclay sound year round, if you look for them.

With consideration of this thread it is petitioned to close herring fishing in attempt to increase food for Chinook. I am assuming you support this act where popular group desire is to close down a fishery. How do you feel about ENGO groups with their desire to close Chinook fishing to help Orca? They have staged up all kinds of science to show that Chinook is the preferred food for SRWK. Should our fisheries be closed to please the masses of ENGO anti fishermen who claim people have other resources to acquire food from?

Closing herring isn't just about food for chinook. Its about removing trillions of eggs, billions of larvae, and hundreds of millions of juvenile herring from the ecosystem, that a wide variety of organisms depend on. Removing a species instrumental in converting plankton to useable protein, to harvest its eggs (for a foreign market) , while over 90% of the fish is reduced for meal is wasteful to the extreme. It enriches a very few at the expense of the entire ecosystem. Local populations of herring coast wide have been lost. I am against almost any roe fishery, that includes salmon. The tired excuse that we have to support all fisheries, no matter how destructive or wasteful, because it empowers the ENGOs for salmon closures is utter nonsense, and not one I buy into.

Closing herring isn't just about food for chinook. Its about removing trillions of eggs, billions of larvae, and hundreds of millions of juvenile herring from the ecosystem, that a wide variety of organisms depend on. Removing a species instrumental in converting plankton to useable protein, to harvest its eggs (for a foreign market) , while over 90% of the fish is reduced for meal is wasteful to the extreme. It enriches a very few at the expense of the entire ecosystem. Local populations of herring coast wide have been lost. I am against almost any roe fishery, that includes salmon. The tired excuse that we have to support all fisheries, no matter how destructive or wasteful, because it empowers the ENGOs for salmon closures is utter nonsense, and not one I buy into.
I find your response to be of a religious tone and typical of ENGO mentality. Using herring for meal is not wasteful but resourceful. What other sources do you approve of for meal? You seem against a lot of things. Herring is not the only component of the oceans food webs that convert plankton to protein and they aren't wiping out the population by fishing up to 20% in some areas. You are just following suit of half of the rest of Canadians who couldn't give two s@#$t about people and their jobs other than yourself. I don't even think you are a fisherman but an engo rep. The tiered excuse of the whole coastal ecology is in jeopardy because of a herring fishery is utter nonsense. So there!!

Herring is not the only component of the oceans food webs that convert plankton to protein and they aren't wiping out the population by fishing up to 20% in some areas.
Are you saying we are "fishing up to 20%" only of the herring biomass.
Does this apply to certain areas or the entire coast?
Do you have any data on the herring biomass today compared to historical averages?

I do not keep that information on hand. Do you have credible data that proves the commercial harvest is harvesting more than 20% for the entire coast?

What hurts to see here is the engo mentality of closing every resource based industry to save the environment. Well what about the importance of Canadian economy? Suppose, because of popular demand we close the herring fishery. Then we close the ff industry. Then we close whale watching, logging, mining and sportfishing because it all has a negative effect on the precious environment. Congratulations to you engo patrons for continual support of the demise in Canadian economy and coastal way of life!! Your turn on each other practice is effectively chipping away at it nicely!

really fogged in, Data has been provided numerous times, Right now the only commercial herring fishery for roe is in the SOG.

https://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/scien...rring-hareng/herspawn/pages/stockreg-eng.html

My question was referring to Fishmyster's statement that we are only fishing 20% of the herring biomass and if he was referring to 20% of the entire BC biomass or of selective areas.
While I am at asking questions, what is considered an acceptable herring biomass, why is SOG the only place herring is being harvested and do you, wildmanyeah, consider our present practices of herring harvest levels to be acceptable?
just asking...
I am of the opinion we need to reduce our level of Herring harvesting to allow the stock to grow back closer to historic levels

do you, wildmanyeah, consider our present practices of herring harvest levels to be acceptable?

I do, Yes in the past it was way over harvested and you can clearly see that on the graph but herring management has come a long way. As California has pointed out its not a matter if this population can be sustainable harvest and have them come back at similar numbers year after year but a matter of leaving them for the ecosystem. Does the value you they add being left in the ocean out way the value they add being harvested.

I personally don't think they add anymore importance to the ecosystem then salmon. If you over fish a herring population other bait fish will move in or the stock will recover, this has been illustrated many time. Over fish a salmon population and they man never come back and nothing is going to replace them. So in my mind everything has its place in the ecosystem.

This idea that DFO should assign different species levels of importance and then harvest them based on that is a bit wild to be honest. I wouldn't even no where to began but maybe there is some sense in it. Tho if we go down this road of saying the Eco system needs it more then we humans do (Essentially the ENGO message) then expect everything to be closed.

View attachment 44842
“It’s just a matter of time before the Strait of Georgia herring collapses and all those boats are forced to wait at the dock,”

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-p...other-season-controversy-over-catch-continues

The National post is on point eh? Herring one day, salmon the next day

Groups sue to restrict salmon fishing, help Northwest orcas

https://nationalpost.com/pmn/news-pmn/groups-sue-to-restrict-salmon-fishing-help-northwest-orcas

So we have Fogged in, Terrin and whitebuck who are proud supporters of the demist of west coast fisheries! That's right guys, just one piece at a time.
I can only speak for myself and say that if we kill off the last healthy stock of herring by overexploiting for fishmeal the sportfishery won't be far behind and I really don't want to be fighting for the last fish. I'm sure Jimmy's lobbyists will have the last say anyway selling Wild or Farmed as long as they are still selling is all the same to them. The Montery Bay approach I posted at #19 is one I can support with a maximum Biomass exploitation of 4% .

15,552 TONS OF HERRING TAKEN THIS YEAR
Total Quota 2019: 19,783 tons
quota achieved: 79% only
I guess they decided to leave 21% of their quota behind due to conservation...
OR do you think the run was just not strong enough to support the quota?
The cash they are getting since the Japanese demand has fallen off is only a fraction of what they used to get!
Me thinks it best DFO close the Strait of George in able to allow a comeback of the herring stock to benefit the Salmon, Orcas, Sea Lions and Seals.

The following is a summary of the Pacific Region 2019 roe herring commercial
fisheries. All weight values are in short tons:
STRAIT OF GEORGIA
Seine
Number of Licences: 209
Quota: 8,311 tons
Catch: 7,178 tons
Gill net
Number of Licences: 1,190
Quota: 11,472 tons
Catch: 8,374 tons
WEST COAST VANCOUVER ISLAND
No Openings
CENTRAL COAST
No Openings
PRINCE RUPERT
No Openings
HAIDA GWAII
No Openings
ALL SEINES
Total number of licences active: 209 of 252 licences
Total seine quota:8,311 tons
Total seine catch: 7,178 tons
Percent of total catch : 46 % of coast-wide roe catch
ALL GILL NETS
Total number of licences active: 1,190 of 1,267 licences
Total gill net quota: 11,472 tons
Total gill net catch: 8,374 tons
Percent of total catch: 54% of coast-wide roe catch
ALL GEAR
Total Catch 2019: 15,552 tons
Percent of total roe fishery quota achieved: 79%

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Amber Neuman (250) 756-7246

15,552 TONS OF HERRING TAKEN THIS YEAR
quota achieved: 79% only
I guess they decided to leave 21% of their quota behind due to conservation...
OR do you think the run was just not strong enough to support the quota?
The cash they are getting since the Japanese demand has fallen off is only a fraction of what they used to get!
Me thinks it best DFO close the Strait of George in able to allow a comeback of the herring stock to benefit the Salmon, Orcas, Sea Lions and Seals.

The following is a summary of the Pacific Region 2019 roe herring commercial
fisheries. All weight values are in short tons:
STRAIT OF GEORGIA
Seine
Number of Licences: 209
Quota: 8,311 tons
Catch: 7,178 tons
Gill net
Number of Licences: 1,190
Quota: 11,472 tons
Catch: 8,374 tons
WEST COAST VANCOUVER ISLAND
No Openings
CENTRAL COAST
No Openings
PRINCE RUPERT
No Openings
HAIDA GWAII
No Openings
ALL SEINES
Total number of licences active: 209 of 252 licences
Total seine quota:8,311 tons
Total seine catch: 7,178 tons
Percent of total catch : 46 % of coast-wide roe catch
ALL GILL NETS
Total number of licences active: 1,190 of 1,267 licences
Total gill net quota: 11,472 tons
Total gill net catch: 8,374 tons
Percent of total catch: 54% of coast-wide roe catch
ALL GEAR
Total Catch 2019: 15,552 tons
Percent of total roe fishery quota achieved: 79%

FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Amber Neuman (250) 756-7246
Leave the nice fat 5, 6, and 7 year old breeders in the strait to keep spawning and feeding the bigger fish.

Back