VHF radio AIS

Chuck

Have a Standard Horizon GX2150 with AIS and no longer plotting commercial vessels. Radio has been in use since 2012, always worked and now having an issue with AIS. Thinking I’ll start with refitting the connector to the coax. I’m definitely not an electrical radio ham, maybe the connection or maybe the radio! Heard SH has had issues with their radios in the past but there are zillion of them out there so possibly someone could shed some light on the AIS issue. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

What are you trying to see the AIS marks on your VHF or your chart plotter? If chart plotter I had an issue with my NMEA input/output rates that were somehow changed accidentally.

Are you still showing up on AIS? You can check on a number of free sites online (have your chart plotter and VHF on. That might help you trouble shoot which connection is the issue.

I don’t use a transponder to be able to send a signal, can only receive AIS.

What are you trying to see the AIS marks on your VHF or your chart plotter? If chart plotter I had an issue with my NMEA input/output rates that were somehow changed accidentally.

Chart plotter! I believe baud rate needs to be 38400 on vhf and plotter.. I’ll need to confirm that.. Thanks

I just set one up last week. Baud rate must be set to 38400. If it was working and now is not, I'd look at the wire connections. Those NMEA wires are awful thin and it wouldn't take much corrosion or mechanical action to cause a poor connection.

I just set one up last week. Baud rate must be set to 38400. If it was working and now is not, I'd look at the wire connections. Those NMEA wires are awful thin and it wouldn't take much corrosion or mechanical action to cause a poor connection.

X2 on those tiny data-transfer wires.

FD

I just finished wiring up a new lowrance system and was thinking same thing about many of the connections, you would think some of this stuff would be a little more robust.

Have a Standard Horizon GX2150 with AIS and no longer plotting commercial vessels. Radio has been in use since 2012, always worked and now having an issue with AIS. Thinking I’ll start with refitting the connector to the coax. I’m definitely not an electrical radio ham, maybe the connection or maybe the radio! Heard SH has had issues with their radios in the past but there are zillion of them out there so possibly someone could shed some light on the AIS issue. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

I also have SH GX2150 and am experiencing exactly the same issue. My radio is integrated with a Simrad system and until sometime when AIS was available as an overlay on my charts. Now it is not and I am trying to ascertain whether I have inadvertently changed a setting or forgotten how to apply a setting. I need to re-read the manuals but if anyone has a ready answer I should be pleased to hear.

Well this is still an issue. Talked to dealer said SH has had issues with the GX2150 so they come out with the 2200 that apperantly has no AIS issues.
Doing some research and it looks like if I’m to buy another radio to go for an ICOM 506AIS for a mear $600.00. But now I’m trying to convince myself that I need AIS but I don’t think it’s really necessary for my purpose, just a sportie. My 2150 works fine other than AIS. I don’t think I need to spend the cash.
Can’t see how I really need AIS, do I??

Well this is still an issue. Talked to dealer said SH has had issues with the GX2150 so they come out with the 2200 that apperantly has no AIS issues.
Doing some research and it looks like if I’m to buy another radio to go for an ICOM 506AIS for a mear $600.00. But now I’m trying to convince myself that I need AIS but I don’t think it’s really necessary for my purpose, just a sportie. My 2150 works fine other than AIS. I don’t think I need to spend the cash.
Can’t see how I really need AIS, do I??
No

Back