sea lion shot in the head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canada AUTHORIZES the killing of hundreds of thousands of seals every year through the east coast quotas. Only about 50,000 out of a population estimated at over 7 million are actually killed because there isn't much of a market for the meat or pelts.

Well I'm doing my part. Check out the beautiful pair of SEAL SKIN boots, that are made in Canada from Our First Nations collected pelts. I got a second pair coming in mens size. Also I have an order in for 2 x Sealion pelts from Haida Gwaii so I can make seat covers for my boat. Best money I have spent towards salmon conservation.

Attachments

• Resized_20190323_195309_7169.jpeg
    Resized_20190323_195309_7169.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 96
Well I'm doing my part. Check out the beautiful pair of SEAL SKIN boots, that are made in Canada from Our First Nations collected pelts. I got a second pair coming in mens size. Also I have an order in for 2 x Sealion pelts from Haida Gwaii so I can make seat covers for my boat. Best money I have spent towards salmon conservation.

Oh and I almost forgot! Check out the new seal skin mitts! Also thought I would should pair of wolf skin mitts I had made from a first nations up near the NWT boarder.

Attachments

• Resized_20190323_200120_9438.jpeg
    Resized_20190323_200120_9438.jpeg
    154.2 KB · Views: 88
  • Resized_20190323_200146_8838.jpeg
    Resized_20190323_200146_8838.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 90
I'm not saying I wouldn't shoot and eat an animal if my life depended on it, I would. I'm just worried that a youngster with a 22 is going to think it's alright to shoot seals and sea lions. It's the same kids whose parents teach them it's okay to throw rocks at geese because they don't like the poo on their lawn. We don't cull people to save the environment so why Is an animals life worth any less. Yeah it'll take a thousand years for the planet to fix itself, but not until humans eat evey last living thing, plants included and turn on themselves, which ever happens first.

We all cause harm by living, I get it. For me it's about causing the least harm possible and leaving the world better than I found it. Small changes to my lifestyle over a period of time. Every little bit helps.

Have you ever stopped to think that maybe plants are feeding us oxygen and waiting for us to die so they can feast on our rotting flesh??
I chase geese off of my fields because they destroy my crops. Am I bad?
Do you deprive deer of food by fencing them out of your garden?

I saw a pair of Sealskin boots on a city bus here in Vancouver recently-turned out the young woman who owned them was from Newfoundland where they are more common.

She said she was constantly asked where she got them and being complimented on her good taste.

These were like the models ILHG has-much better made and more modern design than the ones I remember from the 70's-perfect for our weather.

My kids love seals. They are great to show off to out of town guests. But I really hate it when they stalk me as I troll and then can’t get a fish to the boat. Out of town quests even love it the first time they grab a salmon on the hook. But not the second or third time. I once watched a seal destroy a school of shiner perch in Indian Arm. It was quite the sight. Still can’t believe how agile and fast they are. Can’t imagine what they do to salmon smolts. The problem today is that the ones that hang around river mouths have no natural predators. Transient orcas do not enter river mouths. And the First Nations that live in the Vancouver area river mouths are to busy extracting land rents to bother with seal meat. Their not so distant relatives loved seal meat. And there lies the problem. Ottawa is too distant to figure it out. I am not suggesting individual seal vigilante action at all. Just want to get my thoughts out there. Balance in nature is a difficult thing to manage but historically human predation on seals at river mouths was a part of that balance. Georgia straight is healthy, but certain Chinook smolts are getting wiped out as they enter the estuary. It doesn’t take an Agatha Christie to finger the culprit.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sealioning

Am I getting sealioned?

I better leave before I get shot...
Sorry Real world facts prove that its the anti's (thinking you from your posts) that normally resort to illegal activity towards outdoors people and legal consumptive users, who ARE engaging in legal conservation/activities. NOT what you suggest. Your welcome to leave though, only scientific facts here, not normally the anti's way.

HM

I saw a pair of ducks yesterday working their way down my local drought stricken river picking off fry at will thanks to the low water. I should have just killed them and ignored the fact that the sponge of a forest that used to exist and protect the water from getting so low is now gone. Is anyone out there paying attention to what's happening in the salmons home habitat or just blaming predators for doing what they have always done. The difference today is that you have a lot more time to notice the other predators when its harder to be one yourself.

I saw a pair of ducks yesterday working their way down my local drought stricken river picking off fry at will thanks to the low water. I should have just killed them and ignored the fact that the sponge of a forest that used to exist and protect the water from getting so low is now gone. Is anyone out there paying attention to what's happening in the salmons home habitat or just blaming predators for doing what they have always done. The difference today is that you have a lot more time to notice the other predators when its harder to be one yourself.
ENGOS = LOL :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sorry Real world facts prove that its the anti's (thinking you from your posts) that normally resort to illegal activity towards outdoors people and legal consumptive users, who ARE engaging in legal conservation/activities. NOT what you suggest. Your welcome to leave though, only scientific facts here, not normally the anti's way.

HM

You do realize you're on a thread defending your right to fish or whatever. The topic is shooting sea lions in the head and having them suffer right.

Go ahead carry guns on your boat and when you're the first one to get caught watch them make an example. They may sink but they always float back up ALWAYS. Headshot with a 22 will most likely stay inside the animal and be traced back to your gun..

And even if you're a good shot and you're not caught the animal will be there for everyone to see on the beach.

I come to this form because I do believe you guys know what you're talking about and you're trying very hard I really appreciate that and all the information. I don't speak up much because your opinions and personal research, I'm speaking to everyone here, has taken a great deal of time and it's all here for me to see. I have nothing to add to most conversations. I'm just trying to figure this whole mess out from all sides. I'm definitely waiting and watching for what the science says as well.

I'm okay with everyone fishing and I support your right to Fish Live and Let Live for f sake

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree there should be a reduction of seals and sealions.Using a firearm is not the way to do it.We don't shoot ducks sitting on a pond with gauge guns ,The duck must be inflight.We don't shoot calibure guns at the water,rocks due to ricochet that could kill the shooter or someone else , log booms aswell are to be milled and a piece of metal could kill the sawyer.so canadian club is how its done correctly and abiding by fair chase.

I think the problem is your missing the fact that the seal population isn’t just hanging out feeding as they always have. The populations have exploded to levels that the coast hadn’t had historically.

I think the problem is your missing the fact that the seal population isn’t just hanging out feeding as they always have. The populations have exploded to levels that the coast hadn’t had historically.

And as posted earlier riding log booms from estuary to estuary over and over. This is an imbalance we've created and there's only so many viable options to correct the imbalance.

You do realize you're on a thread defending your right to fish or whatever. The topic is shooting sea lions in the head and having them suffer right.

Go ahead carry guns on your boat and when you're the first one to get caught watch them make an example. They may sink but they always float back up ALWAYS. Headshot with a 22 will most likely stay inside the animal and be traced back to your gun..

And even if you're a good shot and you're not caught the animal will be there for everyone to see on the beach.

I come to this form because I do believe you guys know what you're talking about and you're trying very hard I really appreciate that and all the information. I don't speak up much because your opinions and personal research, I'm speaking to everyone here, has taken a great deal of time and it's all here for me to see. I have nothing to add to most conversations. I'm just trying to figure this whole mess out from all sides. I'm definitely waiting and watching for what the science says as well.

I'm okay with everyone fishing and I support your right to Fish Live and Let Live for f sake
Fully realize what tread I am on. When my outdoor passions come under attack from antis who usually prove to understand nothing but emotional BS, I will step up to defend. Many times I have a gun on my boat, not a 22 and not to shoot a marine mammal as I have no tag for said species. Only an anti would not know the rules concerning hunting marine mammals in BC. I know I cannot shoot them, I would be the first to pay to shoot one if the opportunity was ever to present itself legally. I will not use a 22 either as I understand it to be underpowered for such a large animal. I do not know the specifics of this case so will not speak to it. Many persons may be allowed to hunt, kill, or scare pinnipeds?

You state your here to learn, maybe some research on the pinniped population explosion in BC and its effects on our dwindling fish stocks. Also research the documented anti attacks on legal outdoors people. How many attacks go the other way?

I am OK and fully believe that mankind should protect, grow and harvest all species of this planet that can withstand regulated use., pinnipeds should be regulated now, scientific #s support this. Those who wish to deny their ancestral millennium of history may do that, eat with the cows, deer and herbivores, BUT don't force your moral crap on me or call me names because I desire to consume meat, fish and vegetables, wear fur and display my memories as my ancient ancestors did.

HM

Last edited by a moderator:
I have suggested on here before that culling problem sea lions and seals in rivers and estuaries would be a good step if done properly I have given personal experience of them eating steelhead. The fact that they have exploded in numbers is not based on anything prior to when they were openly killed and numbers were really low. If you want to look at numbers and historical data maybe look at salmon numbers as well, populations don't grow beyond where they should be at the same time their food source is reduced to nothing. I live on the coast and you are missing my point that salmon are in serious decline in Vancouver island rivers that is the reality, if you killed all of the sea lions salmon will still continue to decline. The problems are much greater than just sea lion and seal predation if it were part of a strategy that involved reducing our take of wild fish and rebuilding habitat i would be more inclined to throw my support behind it. Blaming only one thing only serves to distract from the other causes for the decline and time is ticking so why am I the only one on here that see's this. Salmon stocks were continuing to decline from historical numbers the whole time that seals and sea lions were being killed, so why was that. Maybe because of humans and we still don't want to change anything we do we will just try wiping them out again while ignoring all other cause for our fishery disappearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back