Call to Action – Help Save BC’s Public Fishery

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Liberal pre-announcement machine is revving up. Former Minister Anderson (a Liberal) is preparing the way for the announcement for the recreational fishery. The Minister's decision will be made in next 2 weeks. DFO's science advice and recommendation hasn't yet been sent up for consideration.

https://www.timescolonist.com/busin...ded-says-former-fisheries-minister-1.23664363
Sounds pretty grim! hopefully they will give serious consideration to the proposal put forward by the Sport Fish Advisory Board.

Attachments

• SFAB_Fraser_River_Chinook_Management_Proposal_2019_Final_my copy.pdf
    267.3 KB · Views: 36
The Liberal pre-announcement machine is revving up. Former Minister Anderson (a Liberal) is preparing the way for the announcement for the recreational fishery. The Minister's decision will be made in next 2 weeks. DFO's science advice and recommendation hasn't yet been sent up for consideration.

https://www.timescolonist.com/busin...ded-says-former-fisheries-minister-1.23664363
This ploy is from the DFO handbook, seen it many times since the early 90’s

Let us think we are part of the process and then do whatever they had originally wanted to do.

Just a little weird that the Liberals are calling up the old guard at this time (out of the blue) to go into the media talking about big fishing restrictions being necessary....and remember Anderson was the Liberal Fisheries Minister who brought in our Thompson Coho zero mortality rule several decades ago and didn't back it up with habitat and enhancement to bring back the run...we are still under the same restrictions....wow, that worked! Here we go again.

Wilkinson was in Victoria and no one organized a protest?

Just a little weird that the Liberals are calling up the old guard at this time (out of the blue) to go into the media talking about big fishing restrictions being necessary....and remember Anderson was the Liberal Fisheries Minister who brought in our Thompson Coho zero mortality rule several decades ago and didn't back it up with habitat and enhancement to bring back the run...we are still under the same restrictions....wow, that worked! Here we go again.

Totally my first thought.

It’s pretty standard method ,bring out one of the Party Faithful who’s not running in the next election to do the dirty work. What would be interesting would be for someone to call him out publicly,for suggesting Public fishing bans are the only tool available and that they have a proven track record of success.

You need to know where he has been.
He is on the MPA Committee at the highest level.
And as you know that shoe has not dropped yet, but when it does things are going to be a lot different in the fishing world as to access.

Don't get me started on MPA....Tides Canada (another ENGO) is heavily invested in closing down vast tracks of our ocean. Death by a thousand cuts while everyone is sleeping.

I wanted to give a big shout to el.Pereh from our Forum. He approached me about submitting my Letter to Editor to the Vancouver Sun. He bought an ad in paper to get it published in today's Vancouver Sun. Hopefully it helps draw more attention to the issue. Just a side note the Sun screwed up the photo and used Char not Salmon.

Sun Ad.PNG

Awesome.
With the help of DFO we are returning to the era of the "King's Fish and Game".

Lawrence Gunther, North America’s only blind professional angler, is the host of Lake2Plate TV, Blue Fish Radio show

Dr. Brian Riddell is the CEO of the Pacific Salmon Foundation, an organization that prides itself on presenting facts without fear. Once again Blue Fish Radio turned to the Foundation for clarification on issues impacting BC’s southern Chinook salmon.

Hear Dr. Riddell on the actions required to rebuild BC’s endangered southern Chinook salmon population.
http://bluefishradio.com/pacific-salmon-foundation-on-southern-bc-chinook-salmon/

https://www.spreaker.com/user/5725616/e234-pacific-salmon-foundation-on-southe?utm_medium=widget&utm_source=user:5725616&utm_term=episode_title

I listened to the show. Some interesting discussion and good questions. Was disappointed that he didn't ask Dr. Riddell if supported option A or B?

Below is a copy of the ONLY reply (many didn't even bother to reply!!!) I got from numerous politicians and DFO bureaucrats (from the Prime Minster on down) that actually said anything more than "thank you for your letter" and not much else. Great to see him aware of and supportive of the SVIAC Sooke Chinook Sea Pen project. I'm not a NDP member but I have to say good on him for taking the time to be aware of what is going on in his riding.

Nevertheless I'm pretty damn mad at the very sad state of our fisheries and the total lack of leadership and vision from our elected leaders. So much for the Liberals and Conservatives - the last 100 years of history shows that they don't give a rats butt about the west coast fisheries (just like on the east coast) other than what profits and political donations they get from large corporations and companies that use and abuse our fisheries. - Disgusted to say the least!!!
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

I appreciated receiving your email regarding Chinook conservation.

Conservation efforts for Chinook stocks have been undertaken in the Juan de Fuca area, with admirable cooperation between businesses, First Nations and sports fishers. The plan to increase the return rate for Chinook spawning on the Sooke River has been very successful. With a combination of funding from the DFO and their own fundraising initiatives, the South Vancouver Island Anglers Coalition is revitalizing Chinook stocks on the Sooke River.

I agree with you, banning or too severely restricting the recreational Chinook fishery would have a detrimental impact on this conservation effort and others like it. This project depends on the enthusiasm and cooperation of the South Vancouver Island Anglers Coalition, generated by an active recreational Chinook fishery.

Thank you for taking the time to share your concerns as it helps with my work as Member of Parliament.

Sincerely,
Randall Garrison, MP
Esquimalt-Saanich-Sooke

Greg Teuling
Constituency Assistant|Adjointe de Circonscription
Randall Garrison, Member of Parliament | Député
Esquimalt-Saanich-Sooke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back