sea lion shot in the head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I'm worried people think it's okay to shoot a sea lion in the head for whatever reason
So you are saying there is absolutely no circumstance in which you’d shoot a sea lion? Absolutely no reason? This is getting stale, doesn’t Misty Mcduffy or Elizabeth May or Andrew Weaver have a site?

Actually seal hunting goes back well over 130 years in all northern hemisphere coastal countries. This isn’t a BC thing or even a fishermen thing. Between 2008 and 2015 Canada authorized the harvesting of 1 million seals. Just not in BC. We’re talking about a potential for a harvest, as yet undetermined, of up to several thousand seals and sea lions. Canada is killing seals in the hundreds of thousands on another coast every year. Many of these sea lions are not indigenous to bc, they’re invasive from USA. We’ve protected seals and sea lions for 50 years on the west coast of North America. They were hunted to near extinction, they’re no longer in danger, but their eating habits are putting certain salmon stocks in danger. That’s established fact now. If there’s no intervention they could eat us out of certain runs. Nobody complained 80 years ago when seal hunting was a thriving business. Is it acceptable if it’s an industry? Or is it just killing animals of any type is wrong? Chickens Turkeys Cows, fish deer etc etc. Much of these species are raised to be eaten. Our salmon stocks are now being raised to be eaten. How many hatcheries do we have? Net Pens? These are fish being raised to be caught.

Let us all remember even the vegie eating vegan IS killing animals. Bangin your chest from your tractor about being a vegan while you destroy, nesting birds, insects and even worms. Right or wrong, for whatever reason even a dead botched headshot sea lion feeds the ecosystem. To be a human on this planet means you must kill something to live, unwillingly or stepping up and excepting that responsibility, still killing. Only a crazy person cannot except that truth. For ALL the vegans, anti's and animal right groups there is only 1 way to stop even YOUR killing, leave the planet.

HM

5AEDF997-8D38-4890-A532-48CA1B44586F.jpeg
Let us all remember even the vegie eating vegan IS killing animals. Bangin your chest from your tractor about being a vegan while you destroy, nesting birds, insects and even worms. Right or wrong, for whatever reason even a dead botched headshot sea lion feeds the ecosystem. To be a human on this planet means you must kill something to live, unwillingly or stepping up and excepting that responsibility, still killing. Only a crazy person cannot except that truth. For ALL the vegans, anti's and animal right groups there is only 1 way to stop even YOUR killing, leave the planet.

HM

absolutely have an agenda its the continued survival of salmon and steelhead whats your agenda ensuring you can eat the last of the few salmon remaining in our waters. I have young sons that I hope will one day own there own boats and fish like I have done in my life but I guess that's an agenda most on here aren't concerned with self interest and short term blame on environmentalists is the agenda on here. Reducing the take of sports fishers wont solve the problem but it will show that we are concerned and maybe get the general public interested in the pending extinction of salmon on our coast. Promoting killing predators and not talking about the real challenges to our sport only makes us look selfish and doesn't engage non fishers. Nor does saying we should still keep taking that gives the message there is nothing wrong, take a stroll down a stream in the fall to check out spawners and tell me its all good we should keep on keepin on.

To bad your young sons will never fish, once closed it never gets opened back up. I don’t know why so many people are talking like salmon are extinct. I have found the fishing to be getting better the last 15 years in my experience. In the 90’s the Georgia Strait was dead, Howe sound dead. Lots of life in both now. Stop pushing such a grim picture. 2010 saw the biggest sockeye run ever, there was a massive record pink run not to long ago. Yes there are ups and downs and pretty sure there always was. Be careful what you wish for if you ever want your kids to experience fishing in B.C.

Steeler These sea cows are not native to this area. They deserve no sympathy or respect , no better or worse than a poacher. A cull of 55% wouldn't make much difference but it would sure be nice to see their bloated carcasses turning into crab food!!

Canada is killing seals in the hundreds of thousands on another coast every year.

Canada AUTHORIZES the killing of hundreds of thousands of seals every year through the east coast quotas. Only about 50,000 out of a population estimated at over 7 million are actually killed because there isn't much of a market for the meat or pelts.

I'm only a new member because I changed my name from Slayr to Reefy. For obvious reasons...

I've hunted and fished the West Coast since 2009. Took a lot of willpower to change my diet. I've cut out 90% of meat and Dairy and don't hunt or fish anymore. I can't say I'm happy about that or it was an easy decision.

Anyways the only side I'm on is not being cruel to animals

You are so right Reefy. I can't abide cruelty to animals either. That's why I would recommend at least a .308 or .30-06 through the chest of pinnipeds for a quick death.

Last edited:

HM
I'm not saying I wouldn't shoot and eat an animal if my life depended on it, I would. I'm just worried that a youngster with a 22 is going to think it's alright to shoot seals and sea lions. It's the same kids whose parents teach them it's okay to throw rocks at geese because they don't like the poo on their lawn. We don't cull people to save the environment so why Is an animals life worth any less. Yeah it'll take a thousand years for the planet to fix itself, but not until humans eat evey last living thing, plants included and turn on themselves, which ever happens first.

We all cause harm by living, I get it. For me it's about causing the least harm possible and leaving the world better than I found it. Small changes to my lifestyle over a period of time. Every little bit helps.

Have you ever stopped to think that maybe plants are feeding us oxygen and waiting for us to die so they can feast on our rotting flesh??

Reefy, your last post...
Seriously not sure where you are trying to go, but give your head a shake!

It really doesn't matter if there are closures or not either way the reality is grim my home river has next to no spawning chinook in the last few years and that is the reality whatever reason seal or man and each year prime time for spawning went from lowest of low water to highest high water instantly not good for survival. Call me what you want I love fish and fishing and I am always looking for fish just feel like I don't see them anywhere near what I used to. One year I counted 12 fish that had made it to a stretch where I shouldn't be able to count them in the hundreds, this year a few more but nowhere near even 10 years ago. Every other river I went to was in the same state and I go to a lot of rivers. If someone can tell me that they are seeing good numbers in their rivers of wild fish not hatchery clones I would love to hear about it. At the very least we should be laying off wild stocks and only retaining hatchery runs until the proper assesments and habitat restoration has been done all over our barren island to allow for a buffer of stocks for when rivers start running dry like they will this summer on Vancouver island, basically are right now. A few years ago there was a huge run of sockeye in the somass and they were stuck in the chuck going belly up till the end of summer. doesn't mean anything if they don't reproduce in huge numbers. We should be playing it safe with how we fish I would support catch and release wild fish in areas of concern and whatever for hatcheries the way forward is reducing our take of wild fish or I **** you not they will be gone.

Reefy, your last post...
Seriously not sure where you are trying to go, but give your head a shake!
Give my head a shake at what part? I've first-hand seen self-proclaimed rednecks with guns shooting at seals. By supporting the cull you make these actions socially acceptable.

Killing a seal or sea lion so that you can eat fresh caught salmon when there are other options is not ethical in my opinion and you are welcome to yours.

Wow, that thread was 20 minutes of my life I can never get back...what a downer. The bottom line for me personally is people who are shooting these animals are accomplishing nothing more than giving those who oppose a science-based predator control program the forum to stage opposition based on emotional pleas. It is clear to me reading the science that pinniped predation (some specific animals at certain sites) has become a significant contributor to Chinook, Steelhead and Sockeye smolt mortality. For example, we see on the Fraser that ocean-type (smaller) chinook smolts have significantly higher survival rates than their larger stream-type chinook cousins. Several studies have shown that size does indeed matter - the caloric expenditure to chase tiny smolts simply isn't worth it to the same degree as chasing larger smolts. I can't, won't, condone cowboy efforts to blast these animals - its not right. I do support a well managed science-based predator control program that selectively addresses problem animals that have become smolt predator experts. If we fail to address this issue, I believe we are choosing to condemn Chinook, Steelhead and Sockeye to extirpation....along with other animals in the ecosystem dependant upon these fish for prey.

Wow, that thread was 20 minutes of my life I can never get back...what a downer. The bottom line for me personally is people who are shooting these animals are accomplishing nothing more than giving those who oppose a science-based predator control program the forum to stage opposition based on emotional pleas. It is clear to me reading the science that pinniped predation (some specific animals at certain sites) has become a significant contributor to Chinook, Steelhead and Sockeye smolt mortality. For example, we see on the Fraser that ocean-type (smaller) chinook smolts have significantly higher survival rates than their larger stream-type chinook cousins. Several studies have shown that size does indeed matter - the caloric expenditure to chase tiny smolts simply isn't worth it to the same degree as chasing larger smolts. I can't, won't, condone cowboy efforts to blast these animals - its not right. I do support a well managed science-based predator control program that selectively addresses problem animals that have become smolt predator experts. If we fail to address this issue, I believe we are choosing to condemn Chinook, Steelhead and Sockeye to extirpation....along with other animals in the ecosystem dependant upon these fish for prey.

I used to feel like this. Until I witnessed what happened to BC's Caribou population while the "science-based predator control program" took too long to deal with the wolves. Too late now. Screw it, I'm sick of the butt - dragging, bring back the bounty for a while or let the FN have at er.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back