Protest the ENGO's request to close salmon fishing

Will you come?

• Total voters

fish brain

Crew Member
It looks like the ENGO's are planning an "Expert Panel Discussion" April 18 7-9Pm at Sunset Labs 401 Herald st Victoria to call for the closure of MARINE COMMERCIAL AND RECREATIONAL CHINOOK FISHERIES and AN END TO COMMERCIAL AND PRIVATE WHALE WATCHING ON SOUTHERN RESIDENT KILLER WHALES.
Now is the time to stand up and say you are out to lunch to the ENGO's or they will shut down our fishery and we will never get it back.
I am organizing an official protest to their platform. We will be at their event to protest and will invite the media for coverage. I don't have great connections, are there people who want to help?

We will need someone that is well spoken and knowledgeable about the state
of the fish stocks to be the lead spokes person, or better yet two or three. Who should they be?

We will need lots of people to come and hold placards and chant slogans.

We need several people who will loose their jobs and or businesses due to closures, Any volunteers?

I will contact DR Trites , and see if he will come and speak on our behalf. Who else should we try to get?

Can we access any of the go fund me money for this if they require their expenses to be paid, @fishin solo ?
I have posted this as a poll asking for donations, any money received above what is required to finance this protest will be forwarded to https://www.gofundme.com/orcaoutreachfund

If you can help, please do

Last edited:
@Admin Can you please fix my spelling mistake in the title of this post, I can't figure out how to do it
Thx

Any one can come. It turns out there is another protest being organized for this event also. I am trying to get a handle on exactly what is going to happen and who is doing it. We don't want to seem fractious in a public setting . Apparently there is a Facebook page for it, but I can't find it. I will post more information as soon as I have it. If any other member has info to share please do so.

I told this story before; I saw Suzuki on flight from Chicago to Toronto 15 years ago. He was sitting in Business Class where all Environmentalists should be of course. When we landed, a guy sitting in the front of the plane next to me waiting to deplane said how much he liked his TV series. Suzuki looked at him rolled his eyes and kept looking at the exit door without uttering a syllable. The word Prick came to mind at the time. The fact is that’s he’s a miserable two faced opportunist worth millions.

Comments I have received to date re this proposed protest are that we should avoid it as the ENGO's and media will not likely treat us fairly. It may be a NO WIN!

David Suzuki is a great man and should be praised by sports fisherman for his efforts and research to help the survival of salmon for years. Any serious fisherman would thank him and admire his ability to stand up for what is right. Redneck beliefs that he has some sort of agenda are just that. He has done more for the environment and therefore fish than myself or any one of you. if you fellas weren't so busy trying to blame everything else but the real reasons for fish decline you might figure out that the environment is why we wont be keeping fish not non governmental organizations but maybe the ones owned by jimmy p are having some influence. Blaming someone who has done nothing but help salmon and our province is crazy every comment on this place blames so called engos for them not fishing this year meanwhile not a mention of the fact that there is almost no spawning wild fish in the rivers in the fall. but that would take actually looking for yourself and knowing what it should look like. Catching mostly shakers gets old fast anyways shut her down so my kids might get a chance to eat salmon with their kids one day even if it doesn't work out at least we would have tried. the real reason you wont be fishing this year is logging past and present, commercial fishing past and present fish farms at present and droughts at present and sports fisherman almost everything else always existed that way for thousands of years (except acid rain:mad: of course). either way one of these years the fish wont show up at all then try explaining the 500.00 gas bill to the old lady:eek::mad:

Everyone’s entitled to have an opinion, I believe Suzuki to be a hypocrite whose lifestyle doesn’t reflect the principles he preaches. I also believe people have a right to know who contributed to his foundation, because nothing in life is free. Never met the man so I can’t comment on what he’s like as an individual.

Comments I have received to date re this proposed protest are that we should avoid it as the ENGO's and media will not likely treat us fairly. It may be a NO WIN!
WORST STRATEGY EVER just don't be heard...are you kidding me? No wonder the rec sector is getting walked over...protest and be heard or be run over. What a dumb ****ing comment. Man, that ticks me off. Let's hope sfi and other organizations don't think this way as well as leaders in the rec sector because if that is the case it makes total sense. THEY (FN and ENGO's) protest, and we wonder why they get what they want all the time!!! DUMB!!!!

David Suzuki is a great man and should be praised by sports fisherman for his efforts and research to help the survival of salmon for years. Any serious fisherman would thank him and admire his ability to stand up for what is right. Redneck beliefs that he has some sort of agenda are just that. He has done more for the environment and therefore fish than myself or any one of you. if you fellas weren't so busy trying to blame everything else but the real reasons for fish decline you might figure out that the environment is why we wont be keeping fish not non governmental organizations but maybe the ones owned by jimmy p are having some influence. Blaming someone who has done nothing but help salmon and our province is crazy every comment on this place blames so called engos for them not fishing this year meanwhile not a mention of the fact that there is almost no spawning wild fish in the rivers in the fall. but that would take actually looking for yourself and knowing what it should look like. Catching mostly shakers gets old fast anyways shut her down so my kids might get a chance to eat salmon with their kids one day even if it doesn't work out at least we would have tried. the real reason you wont be fishing this year is logging past and present, commercial fishing past and present fish farms at present and droughts at present and sports fisherman almost everything else always existed that way for thousands of years (except acid rain:mad: of course). either way one of these years the fish wont show up at all then try explaining the 500.00 gas bill to the old lady:eek::mad:

"the real reason you wont be fishing this year is logging past and present, commercial fishing past and present fish farms at present and droughts at present and sports fisherman almost everything else always existed that way for thousands of years (except acid rain:mad: of course)."

So what do you think happened to cause mass extinctions in the past? Do you think the salmon populations remained constant during those events? Is it only man made interferences that can cause it all? You may chose to support ENGO belief that removing all industry and fishermen from the situation is the right thing to do but it just shows how little you and the ENGOs care about people.

I hope you are not teaching your kids to hate every Canadian industry like fishing, logging, mining or farming. If so hopefully they will have compassion for others and be able to see that the people of Canada need some form of gainful employment.

I don't hate loggers or miners or farmers or commercial fisherman just because I don't agree with over logging over fishing mining with no regard for the environment doesn't mean I hate anyone of them. I hate our governments for allowing our logs to be shipped over seas without being milled and mines to keep dumping selenium and heavy metals into delicate river systems without consequence. Assuming that someone hates people or doesn't want them to work is a big step from being critical of things being done the wrong way. Mass extinction happened in the past naturally for sure but that isn't the case right now. Your response to my post shows that you aren't reading what im saying and jumping to conclusions. I have many friends that are commercial fisherman and loggers and mill workers, I am a tradesman and I work my bag off every day. Being critical of industry doesn't mean you want it too completely stop it just means there is more to the story then cut it down and pave it mentality which only serves to make shareholders rich and work guys out of jobs in the future. The big difference for salmon stocks this time around is that we have depleated the numbers so bad on all rivers and eliminated them in most small streams everywhere that they cant bounce back from it. 10,000 years ago if a slide blocked access to spawning grounds well **** that was just one salmon bearing stream out of thousands today that isn't the case.

I don't hate loggers or miners or farmers or commercial fisherman just because I don't agree with over logging over fishing mining with no regard for the environment doesn't mean I hate anyone of them. I hate our governments for allowing our logs to be shipped over seas without being milled and mines to keep dumping selenium and heavy metals into delicate river systems without consequence. Assuming that someone hates people or doesn't want them to work is a big step from being critical of things being done the wrong way. Mass extinction happened in the past naturally for sure but that isn't the case right now. Your response to my post shows that you aren't reading what im saying and jumping to conclusions. I have many friends that are commercial fisherman and loggers and mill workers, I am a tradesman and I work my bag off every day. Being critical of industry doesn't mean you want it too completely stop it just means there is more to the story then cut it down and pave it mentality which only serves to make shareholders rich and work guys out of jobs in the future. The big difference for salmon stocks this time around is that we have depleated the numbers so bad on all rivers and eliminated them in most small streams everywhere that they cant bounce back from it. 10,000 years ago if a slide blocked access to spawning grounds well **** that was just one salmon bearing stream out of thousands today that isn't the case.

Stop playing the victim. Your posts are very suspicious as with all the new members at same time trying to change the tone of the discussions. I think most are open to opinions, but starting sentences with David Suzuki is a smart man. Or we should thank him. Are you serious?

I am sorry for what should we thank him? Running a misinformed campaign to get a pipeline cancelled, and using us to do so?

If your going to step in this forum your going to be challenged. Same goes on Facebook or anywhere else.

As for saying save the environment. Many of us contribute financial and also volunteer at our local hatcheries etc. On this forum. We don't do that because we want right to fish. We care about salmon survival. Been here 30+ years before this.

Question for you if environmental groups care so much and that is what you say. Why do groups like ours donate our time on our creeks and rivers enhancing fish stocks and habitat unpaid?

Seems to be your groups want something out of it financially everytime project comes up.

In all my years as volunteer I have never seen one of these organizations step their foot on a stream and river. I guess there is no money it so they don't help.

That's just a personal opinion.

Last edited:
The BOTTOMFEEDER will be there !!!!!!!!!!!!!! not afraid of any one or any question !!! do not agree with staying away and staying QUIET = probably the worst thing we can do ! we should be there in numbers so large they fill the place of discussion venue / block the sidewalk and block the streets so the police come and want to know what s going on ! then the news will report massive numbers of sports fisherman protesting closures !!!!! not just sitting around and hoping for the best

The forum is not brutal, the fisheries management system in place is completely run with absolutely no type of plan or guidance in regards to salmon or halibut management or sustainability !!!!i m upset at no one group in particular at all ! dfo has become a political vote getting machine that doesn t represent canadians any more , just interests of groups period . ie whats there plan on salmon harvesting and sustainability ? they dont have one , that is why i am very concerned now !!!! Jimmy Pattison needs salmon for his stores guess what theres an opening when there should not be commercial seiners are too effective at targeting and wiping out a whole run period but jimmy needs fish !! herring fishery why ??? decorate sushi and grind up herring for atlantic salmon fish food ! not needed - roe sells for nothing !! netting in rivers has to stop - period !!! there you go , all the examples i have given are easy to fix but no has the will to do it because of the response of the interest groups !!! Lastly premior horigan could have shut down the salmon farms but took the cowardly chicken s##t route and passed it off to dfo- pathetic individual !!!! read enough lol

Why is everything always so left or right? If someone thinks industry has damaged salmon stocks he isn’t a leaf licker. If someone thinks there has to be some form of industry he isn’t a redneck. This forums brutal.
I'm OK with people having views that I might not agree with, and frankly there are many very good ENGO groups that do some great work. Healthy debate helps challenge ideas and hopefully brings about better solutions.

What I don't agree with are ENGO's that feather their business model by creating crisis in order to stir up financial support. These particular ENGO groups that are provoking in-fighting by advocating closing recreational, commercial and whale watching are simply out to feather their own nests....create a conflict, raise controversy and ignite financial support and membership by promoting mis-information.

They can spread this mis-information because the recreational dog doesn't bite. We are a push over, and when they kick the recreational dog, it won't bite back. Every day Joe Angler simply doesn't care enough to get behind an organized effort...lots of talk, little actual action. What that amounts to is there isn't a credible political threat that rec anglers will rise up and get political. I would love to be proven wrong, but sadly the track record speaks for itself.

The sportfishing community on the south Island is prepared to fight...even when it appears many secondary groups on WCVI are keeping quiet and hope this blows past THEM!

Here's your hero

https://business.financialpost.com/opinion/vivian-krause-suzukis-funding

Back