Important Chinook Information - Feedback Required

My MP is an NDP tree hugger that’s not pro sport fishing so I’m not going to waste my time.
Call Jonathan Wilkinson's office 604-775-6333!

We got to go full court press on this making our parliamentarians a know we are not going to accept option A. Any MP that supports it is going to pay in the fall when sport sportfishermans vote!

Inn my mind there is a downside to the repeated need or calls to write specific people, for instance Jeff Grout, the RDG, or the Minster. We have excellent representatives speaking for us....we really do....and if we allow the Government to say they do not believe our reps, and demand that we send in thousands....because apparently 1,ooo letters is considered a poor return, we are allowing our reps to be put on the sidelines. I believe our letters should simply say..."listen to our elected reps....they speak for us! "

Inn my mind there is a downside to the repeated need or calls to write specific people, for instance Jeff Grout, the RDG, or the Minster. We have excellent representatives speaking for us....we really do....and if we allow the Government to say they do not believe our reps, and demand that we send in thousands....because apparently 1,ooo letters is considered a poor return, we are allowing our reps to be put on the sidelines. I believe our letters should simply say..."listen to our elected reps....they speak for us! "
Without a huge voice we will be ignored. This why high level people involved in discussions with DFO are saying write the Minister and call your MP. I can't stress this enough!!!!

Democracies are decided by people who show up to vote. Its a free country, and the Minister hasn't yet made a decision with respect to our fishery. Respectful, thoughtful input and ideas on how to address the problems impacting Chinook recovery would always be helpful.

However, I do agree with Traveller that there are several good folks advocating on our behalf. Hoping science and good judgment regarding finding a win/win are where we end up. The SFAB advice to the Minister was science-based, professional, and provides a pathway forward for the Minister to follow. When it comes to the recreational fishery, the SFAB is the official advisory body to the Minister so the SFAB input should be respected and appropriately weighed by the Minister IMO.

My MP is an NDP tree hugger that’s not pro sport fishing so I’m not going to waste my time.
Do you think that a liberal or conservative member would care more about sports fisherman. All they care about is corporate interests and would be happier with no wild fish at all under harper and now under Trudeau nothing has been done to help our cause or even acknowledge there is a problem. Just excuses and more environmental damage and fish farms, covering up and not implementing their own science. Maybe people on here should stop blaming people who care about the environment and start blaming those that are destroying the environment then we might be getting somewhere. The reality is salmon are on their way to extinction rapidly and two of the three main political parties would love to have no salmon getting in the way of pipelines and fish farms, but keep blaming the one party that isn't in power federally ever and might actually change things if they were given a chance and some direction. Restrictions on limits and size should have been implemented many years ago our current and former governments are responsible for the mess we are in not tree huggers.

I have a bad feeling about this-time is running out and the closer the decision is to April 1 then the less chance it will be favourable. I expect the decision whatever it is will be let go around 4pm either today or next Friday-we would expect no less from DFO and their political masters. Just remember who did this to us when it comes time to vote-the only option left to us ! I would not buy a new fishing license until we see what if anything is available to fish for!

Do you think that a liberal or conservative member would care more about sports fisherman. All they care about is corporate interests and would be happier with no wild fish at all under harper and now under Trudeau nothing has been done to help our cause or even acknowledge there is a problem. Just excuses and more environmental damage and fish farms, covering up and not implementing their own science. Maybe people on here should stop blaming people who care about the environment and start blaming those that are destroying the environment then we might be getting somewhere. The reality is salmon are on their way to extinction rapidly and two of the three main political parties would love to have no salmon getting in the way of pipelines and fish farms, but keep blaming the one party that isn't in power federally ever and might actually change things if they were given a chance and some direction. Restrictions on limits and size should have been implemented many years ago our current and former governments are responsible for the mess we are in not tree huggers.
Gee thanks for the lecture

My point was I abhor my useless MP. He sucked when he worked in Tofino and he sucks now

I had been fishing the west coast of Vancouver Island for many years. I've heard many of you call the big Salmons the "Columbians" because you say they mostly come from the U.S. and return to the Columbia river. In the 30 years I've fished the west coast, all marked fish came from the U.S.A. but, I still donated to the Canadian hatcheries along the coast. i.e. Thorton Creek at Ucluelet BC, Port Alberni and Sooke. It's sad that we are having such a tough time with the lack of salmon runs now days. I know Washington state is bumping up its hatchery production to produce more salmon and also is now allowing the state to eliminate some of the seal lions that are decimating the salmon returning to the Columbia river. Washington state is also working harder on making the habitat for returning fish much easier, safer and cleaner. Now I read the the Canadian government is allowing Imperial Metals along with a Australian company called NewCrest Mining to start a drilling exploration at the head waters of the Skagit River which runs back into Washington state. Copper is deadly to all salmon and this in one of the pristine rivers in our state. With our state trying to bring back our Salmon for both you and me, your government is allowing this kind of exploring near a major river. In case you didn't know, Imperial Metals has a poor environmental record. So sad both government can't work together and save an Icon of the WestCoast.

What’s going to happen is going to happen nothing will change.
Why do they not go with tags just like hunting. I got 3 spring on my 2018-19 fishing license that’s enough. So tags like 4 for residents and 2 for out of province. Could be done with each species of fish. Once tags are used no more and at end unused tages sent back then they would know the actual take. Just a tough.

Can you provide any links whereby the Federal NDP or Greens are making any noise to support the public fishery? My Green MP can’t even be bothered in answering my letters. Won’t be getting my vote because of this. If the NDP or Greens are going to do better, nows the time to step up prior to the election and reveal their platform. I’m sure many of us are waiting!

No I don't have links to their platforms it probably isn't in there, but we know the two main corporate influenced parties don't give a **** we have proof of that from the start of confederation.the greens or ndp could more easily be influenced by regular people then the silver spooner or the bible thumper they only care about getting your votes then just look out for their buds who own commercial fleets, fish farms and pipelines that's been proven over and over again. Scheer isn't going to be an improvement over truedeau just more harper style ignorance that got us into this mess.

Well being as how this is a fishing site, maybe we should try and stay on fishing topics and politician/ party reaction to them. I’m sure there are multiple “my politicians are better than yours sites” where you can debate your individual likes and dislikes and show your partisanship. I think we should as fishers,be asking what your policy is on public fishery, if you want my vote, this information is important to me. Lots of other sites to do the same for other interests.

sorry I guess everyone else can talk politics on here just not lefty's I didn't make this a political issue just responding to posts that were. politicians are the ones at the center of this issue and it seems pretty politically charged just going with the flow or maybe against it.

We were told at our sport fish advisory committee meeting that all of the information gathered was being presented to the Minister on Monday. We did ask DFO staff at the meeting if any recommendation had been made on option A or option b. They said no it would be a ministerial decision. They expected to have the decision announced by early April.

... They said no it would be a ministerial decision...

In short, they lied.
Having worked alongside the Department for decades, I can sincerely tell you that a REAL "ministerial decision" is actually much rarer than hen's teeth. The minister is simply a figurehead, and very little more. He is the talking head for the department, but damn near 100% of all decisions are made well behind the scenes prior to discussing anything with the public.
Just the way it is...

Nog

In short, they lied.
Having worked alongside the Department for decades, I can sincerely tell you that a REAL "ministerial decision" is actually much rarer than hen's teeth. The minister is simply a figurehead, and very little more. He is the talking head for the department, but damn near 100% of all decisions are made well behind the scenes prior to discussing anything with the public.
Just the way it is...

Nog

One of the real kick in the nuts thtough all of this is the Ministers insistence that’s decisions will be made with strict data/science backing their outcome.
This couldn’t be further from the truth inbthis latest battle as for instance....area 12/13 has shown through data that they intercept 0.03% of the Fraser chinook is crisis.
Yet we’re asked to take a massive cut in any chinook landings.

The general public should be made aware that this is about reallocation to a singular user group....plain and simple .
No matter how they sugar coat it , it’s all about the lost court cases and no appeals .

The tragic truth is the fisheries is just the beginning.

Back