wild-salmon-plan-panned-conservation-groups

Big business is finding it a little harder to pollute our world but still not that hard. Jobs trump wildlife almost every time. Like I say all the time, we need a unified Organization of Sportfishermen in BC, and Canada. A political juggernaut that has enough members to swing elections. Until then we’re just buckshot against a brick wall. Get organized and we’re a force that will need to heard and supported.

Big business is finding it a little harder to pollute our world but still not that hard. Jobs trump wildlife almost every time. Like I say all the time, we need a unified Organization of Sportfishermen in BC, and Canada. A political juggernaut that has enough members to swing elections. Until then we’re just buckshot against a brick wall. Get organized and we’re a force that will need to heard and supported.

Gotta get away from the "sports" and "recreational" fishing tags. It's a "public" fishery. I don't fish for sport or for recreation - I fish to put food on the table. Using the terms "sports" and "recreation" makes it too easy for others to suggest it be stopped.

Agreed Bruce our courts and constitution have always affirmed our rights when it comes to our resources. Nobody should have a right over anyone else when it comes to sharing our resources.

Gotta get away from the "sports" and "recreational" fishing tags. It's a "public" fishery. I don't fish for sport or for recreation - I fish to put food on the table. Using the terms "sports" and "recreation" makes it too easy for others to suggest it be stopped.

I think this is a very good and solidly founded point and idea!!!!!

Idea of the Year!!!!

I would actually call it 'Public FSC fishery'. For many of us (non-aboriginals) FSC fishery is just what we truly do. I guess those that fish for the sake of fun only are a minority if they even exist. This was easily visible in the Sooke marina last year where about 50% of the mooring was still available at peak fishing season after additional fishing restrictions were applied. Most people go fishing only when they also can keep the fish because they need it for food.
This renaming should also help DFO and court judges when they make quota decisions in regards of Aboriginal FSC fishery vs. Public FSC fishery. It is hard to argue why aboriginals should get access to fish while the public does not if the fish to be caught serves the same purpose for both user groups.

I think using the term public to describe the fishery is also far more inclusive and includes far larger number of stake holders. Not all members of the public may fish but they as individuals of the public should maintain the right to access fisheries for sustenance. I love this idea. It deserves it own thread.

I think using the term public to describe the fishery is also far more inclusive and includes far larger number of stake holders. Not all members of the public may fish but they as individuals of the public should maintain the right to access fisheries for sustenance. I love this idea. It deserves it own thread.

I enjoy every aspect of fishing....not just the hours when the rods are down.

Bringing home fresh seafood for the family is definitely part of it.

I would spend good money on any initiative that could result in this public fishery being redefined to this more accurate labeling.

Back