Tr-1 Gold autopilot

I just finished installing a TR1 that I bought last fall and have a SX14 Noland Expander being delivered any day now to connect to my chartplotter (the XP15 is discontinued). I contacted Garmin about a wiring connection (NMEA 0183) last week and they suggested I return my TR1 and get the new Reactor 40,which I can't do. I had a TR1 on my last boat and loved it and look forward to having it connected through my chartplotter this time to follow contour lines and routes.I jig a lot so I'll try to stay over the bait with the autopilot in reverse.It wasn't hard to install but I'll bet the new model is better running by NMEA 2000,I wouldn't think an expander would be required,but I don't know. These are pricey units , but if you tend to fish on your own at times or just want to go straight and stay in the fishy zone their worth it.

The main unit will work on any kicker,it's the throttle actuator that is bought to match the make you have.I have a actuator for Mercury if anyone needs one,their about $300 retail.I'd sell for 1/2 that.

Last edited:
Hannes what motor is it for?

I don't have the throttle control so it's independent of the kicker type. I was going to get one of the better throttle control units. I bought it for a Yamaha T8.

I'm just trying to think how much of a hit I'm willing to take. I paid $2,999 + taxes = $3,210. I'd let it go for $2,700. I haven't even cracked the tape on the box.

I don't have the throttle control so it's independent of the kicker type. I was going to get one of the better throttle control units. I bought it for a Yamaha T8.

I'm just trying to think how much of a hit I'm willing to take. I paid $2,999 + taxes = $3,210. I'd let it go for $2,700. I haven't even cracked the tape on the box.
If you decide to sell it, it should go quickly on Craigslist. River boats (at least down here on the Columbia) use the TR-1’s a lot for backtrolling and holding a spot. I sold mine (which was totally broken) and it was gobbled up within 24 hrs.

I'm going to call GPS city tomorrow and Garmin to see if they'll do an exchange but if they say no, I'll put it up on here first, then CL.

I'm going to call GPS city tomorrow and Garmin to see if they'll do an exchange but if they say no, I'll put it up on here first, then CL.

the Tr-1 gold is still a very good unit and they will have parts for a few years you can still find old parts for the gladiator system that is 15 years old , the gold is the newer version so your likely OK.
If I had that one bought already I'd install it using the updated norland port expander like rayvon mentioned

Just so you know there is a compatibility chart for the new system not all kickers will fit

Attachments

• Capture8.PNG
    Capture8.PNG
    47.6 KB · Views: 27
I just finished installing a TR1 that I bought last fall and have a SX14 Noland Expander being delivered any day now to connect to my chartplotter (the XP15 is discontinued). I contacted Garmin about a wiring connection (NMEA 0183) last week and they suggested I return my TR1 and get the new Reactor 40,which I can't do. I had a TR1 on my last boat and loved it and look forward to having it connected through my chartplotter this time to follow contour lines and routes.I jig a lot so I'll try to stay over the bait with the autopilot in reverse.It wasn't hard to install but I'll bet the new model is better running by NMEA 2000,I wouldn't think an expander would be required,but I don't know. These are pricey units , but if you tend to fish on your own at times or just want to go straight and stay in the fishy zone their worth it.

Its all NEMA 2000 wiring so I have to install a backbone and drop cables in mine as my boat is merc smartcraft wiring ,they claim the install is much easier .
I called as there was no info. on the Canadian site but on garmin .com you can look at the manual. They still are not shipping for a few weeks.
It will still do the hold and preset patterns like the gold but it's low draw motors no more pump and hyd. cylinder price at GPS city is close to the pricing for the Gold

I ordered today from GPS Central mid April ship date for 3286. without the separate display I'll use the MFD plotter screens .

I'm going to run a 7408xsv on the helm linked to a 7407xsv on the rear deck

Hey Mike,
Did you look at the GPSMap 942xs? Its on sale at GPS Central for $999. It does not have side scan though.
The 7408xsv shows discontinued. My understanding is the 7400 and 7600 series can run multiple transducers but other than that have the same features. They are older models too

Is TR-1 compatible with the Suzuki 9.9 EFI kicker?

(Is TR-1 compatible with the Suzuki 9.9 EFI kicker?) Yes,just have to order it with the right throttle actuator.

Hey Mike,
Did you look at the GPSMap 942xs? Its on sale at GPS Central for $999. It does not have side scan though.
The 7408xsv shows discontinued. My understanding is the 7400 and 7600 series can run multiple transducers but other than that have the same features. They are older models too

I haven't looked at the 942
I bought the 7408xsv and 7407 xsv last year they can both run multiple as well as the 1 KW transducer I will have them paired to have one on the back deck , once the weather gets better boats in storage.
I have the 600 W mid band chirp transducer the resolution is great .
Garmin is now combining their charts with Navonics charts as they bought Navonics .
the New G3 Charts are supposed to be the best of both

No dice with GPS city or Garmin. If anyone wants it, $2,700.

Had the Noland sx14 delivered yesterday,a very small unit that lists for $170 US. By the time it got to me it was about $330 Cdn. including $44 US shipping,the exchange rate, and $34 Cdn. in duty. So you can almost double the US price,Grrrrrrrrrrr. It kind of pisses me off that I have to buy a unit from someone other than Garmin (Noland) to make 2 Garmin units talk to each other. It must be a patent issue or something.

Had the Noland sx14 delivered yesterday,a very small unit that lists for $170 US. By the time it got to me it was about $330 Cdn. including $44 US shipping,the exchange rate, and $34 Cdn. in duty. So you can almost double the US price,Grrrrrrrrrrr. It kind of pisses me off that I have to buy a unit from someone other than Garmin (Noland) to make 2 Garmin units talk to each other. It must be a patent issue or something.

I think it's the fact that the voltage output/ amperage on the newer style chart plotters isn't high enough to run through NEMA 0183 to the ECU on the TR-1

Hey Mike,

The 942 XS looks like it has similar spec.s to the 7408 xsv should be a good unit

We are a Garmin dealer and sell a lot of TR-1 autopilots. Garmin still has plenty of stock of complete units. I just ordered 15 for inventory and plan on picking up another 20 in the coming month. As far as parts go, Garmin is a big company and they support their stuff very well. The TR-1 comes with a 2 year parts warranty, so they will maintain the parts inventory for a few more years for sure. After that, I can't imagine that they will leave all those customers hanging by not being able to support them. The new system should be good, but won't work in all circumstances / situations. Transom mount kicker motors, say the Hewescraft 20 Pro-V transom mount, won't accommodate the new style since the arm goes side to side through the steering tube on the kicker motor.

We are a Garmin dealer and sell a lot of TR-1 autopilots. Garmin still has plenty of stock of complete units. I just ordered 15 for inventory and plan on picking up another 20 in the coming month. As far as parts go, Garmin is a big company and they support their stuff very well. The TR-1 comes with a 2 year parts warranty, so they will maintain the parts inventory for a few more years for sure. After that, I can't imagine that they will leave all those customers hanging by not being able to support them. The new system should be good, but won't work in all circumstances / situations. Transom mount kicker motors, say the Hewescraft 20 Pro-V transom mount, won't accommodate the new style since the arm goes side to side through the steering tube on the kicker motor.

Thanks for the Reply I'm sure the guy's on the site are glad to hear from you about this .
I wouldn't hesitate to put one on my boat , I still see parts for the gladiator system.
So I too believe parts will be available for a long time.

I still can't get my TR1 to connect to my Garmin chart plotter so that it can steer to waypoint or route.The manual doesn't tell me how to get my Garmin echomap 94sv to aknowledge the autopilot.I've connected the Noland expander as shown and still nothing.Has anyone on here sucessfully connected their TR1 autopilot to their chart plotter? I must be missing something.

Back