2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was out around grace 2 hr's before low tide today(was the only boat fishing). Tons of fish on the TV. Got 61cm right away( released), another debatable size spit the hook 20 min later. Got a nice one on a couple minutes later, almost got it to boat and a big fat seal ripped it off the hook. Don't think the seal even ate the fish. Next him and two of his buddies followed me for the next 1.5 hr's. They took turns going down deep for many minutes then surfacing. A pall would then take over . The tons of fish that were there ran for the hills when the family of seals arrived. I went home(not happy). How can we deal with this out of control over population of protected seals that are killing are whales and fisheries.
Just shoot one with a rifle and the rest will disappear

buy a .22 rifle , buy a few boxes of sub-sonic bullets.
they dont break sound barrier so are very quiet...like clap of your hands.
And they do the TRICK>
Be a responsible shooter. And go quietly about our business.

Was out around grace 2 hr's before low tide today(was the only boat fishing). Tons of fish on the TV. Got 61cm right away( released), another debatable size spit the hook 20 min later. Got a nice one on a couple minutes later, almost got it to boat and a big fat seal ripped it off the hook. Don't think the seal even ate the fish. Next him and two of his buddies followed me for the next 1.5 hr's. They took turns going down deep for many minutes then surfacing. A pall would then take over . The tons of fish that were there ran for the hills when the family of seals arrived. I went home(not happy). How can we deal with this out of control over population of protected seals that are killing are whales and fisheries.

My advice to you is—-stop fishing and move to a different spot. When they are on you like that you are fishing for them....not you. The seal is going to win every time on a winter Chinook. I’d rather the fish live than feed a pinniped.

Sitting at the dock debating heading out but second guessing the logic based on the sky. Anybody out there that can comment on conditions out around Bowen?

Got one in the harbour near the West Van shore line with the STS flasher and Outfitter spoon. Bait showing up in there too. Prawning was good and the 3 crabs released were all 1/4" under size. The winds were an issue and there seemed to be a few more seals around than normal.

4E188597-5DBA-42BB-8521-1CE4FFC58044.jpeg Had planned on spending the morning out on the water but two fish before 9 a.m. shortened the time out there. Lots of birds and bait on the west side of Bowen. Nothing big but two spunky little 8 lb’ers made for a good morning ... both were caught on skinny g’s on bottom in +/- 160 feet of water.

Didn’t get enough time on the water yesterday so I had to go out again this a.m. for a couple hours or at least that was the excuse given to the much better half;) ... this time it was in the harbour amongst the freighters and out towards the Bell Buoy where there was a little bit of Howe Sound outflow action. Managed to box one about 9lbs and lost another about the same size to Whiskers within 4 feet of the boat ... tried to yard the salmon out of the bugger’s mouth but the skinny g hook gave way.
A8C1023C-59CC-4D2E-9B05-64B94D20B8C0.jpeg 8CE0D65E-9289-42B6-99B5-315AE7F02EB0.jpeg

Nice work and thanks for the reports, Teja Still at least a week before I van get the boat off the docks but I was on the Coast Friday to Saturday mid day and saw 2 boats off grace bouncing around like mad due to the outflows. Apparently it was nasty in Howe sound this morning too. Week after this and I hope to to have some value to add here too. In the meantime keep those reports coming!

Didn’t get enough time on the water yesterday so I had to go out again this a.m. for a couple hours or at least that was the excuse given to the much better half;) ... this time it was in the harbour amongst the freighters and out towards the Bell Buoy where there was a little bit of Howe Sound outflow action. Managed to box one about 9lbs and lost another about the same size to Whiskers within 4 feet of the boat ... tried to yard the salmon out of the bugger’s mouth but the skinny g hook gave way.
View attachment 43930 View attachment 43931

Nice chromer!

First order of business is replacing those hooks on Gibbs spoons when you open the package!

Love how every post people are complaing and seeing excessive seals. Why doesn’t dfo limit the seals to one hatchery marked fish a day..

Was out yesterday morning. Launched at Mcdonald beach tried to cross over to Bowen and it was really blowing out of the sound. Had to turn around and was full pucker retreating to the harbour. Fished the Harbour to the bell for a few hours dragging skinny g's off the bottom. 3 undersized and a flounder lol. Seals were ballsy and trying to snatch the fish right at the boat. Managed to release them successfully unscathed by the sea dogs. Turned out to be a beautiful afternoon. Need to find a keeper next trip

Was out yesterday morning. Launched at Mcdonald beach tried to cross over to Bowen and it was really blowing out of the sound. Had to turn around and was full pucker retreating to the harbour. Fished the Harbour to the bell for a few hours dragging skinny g's off the bottom. 3 undersized and a flounder lol. Seals were ballsy and trying to snatch the fish right at the boat. Managed to release them successfully unscathed by the sea dogs. Turned out to be a beautiful afternoon. Need to find a keeper next trip

herring spawn should be happening soon so more legal fish should be around

It was a stunning morning for a couple hours fishing on the west side of Bowen. I think the fish gods rewarded me as it was going to be the last time out until early April. Two extremely red springs ... an 11lb and a 9lb on bottom with skinny g’s.

2A9B8DB7-E37D-4C68-97E1-2A36EF301FD0.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back