2019 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted to let everyone know that regrettably the Sidney Derby will not be held in 2019 due to the uncertainty around what the actual rules will be. Attached is the letter from our club President.

Attachments

• Derby Postponement Letter 2019.pdf
    70.5 KB · Views: 85
Wanted to let everyone know that regrettably the Sidney Derby will not be held in 2019 due to the uncertainty around what the actual rules will be. Attached is the letter from our club President.

Send that to DFO.

Real world impacts.

More $ for salmon in that area from that event alone over the past 8 yrs than our governments have provided.

Last edited:
Really too bad. That was always one of my favorite derbies of the year. Loved the Canadian/US fellowships I have established through this derby and all the good that's been done to the fishery because of it.

Based upon our Derby's success in the past few years, we had expected to raise around $35,000 with 100% of those funds going directly to salmon enhancement. It will be a real loss to the many great organizations that benefit from the derby. The good news is that we plan to move the derby up to late March in 2020 to hopefully avoid some of the uncertainty of guessing what the fishing regulations might be later in the year.

very sad to hear about the Sidney Anglers, having helped run the Consultants for many years, I admired what you guys were able to give back. It would be good for DFO to see these affects as the trend is endless - Bite Me (more about worn out right?), JDF, , Consultants, JDF the 2nd, now Sidney? Those alone is around $85000 that could be supporting salmon enhancement. I often feel guilt about our decision, but it was too much to organize, and lack of direction from DFO year after year was an annual headache that wore us down. This is on them....just one example of many.

very sad to hear about the Sidney Anglers, having helped run the Consultants for many years, I admired what you guys were able to give back. It would be good for DFO to see these affects as the trend is endless - Bite Me (more about worn out right?), JDF, , Consultants, JDF the 2nd, now Sidney? Those alone is around $85000 that could be supporting salmon enhancement. I often feel guilt about our decision, but it was too much to organize, and lack of direction from DFO year after year was an annual headache that wore us down. This is on them....just one example of many.

I agree I don't like that we all stepped away from Consultants (I regret it alot), but it is what it is. Now with this one gone it was really the last large derby on the south island. This is very bad news for enhancement groups such as the Peninsula streams society and Mill Bay District Enhancement Society as well as many others.

Anyone here gearing up for the Saanich inlet derby? Looks like the weather is going to cooperate other than the chilly first couple hours in the morning.

What are the rules and boundaries for this derby Mark? The facebook post I saw is just a picture with little info. Weather looks great on Saturday, maybe Ill try and rummage up a co-captain.

Spent a couple hours at Coal and Fairfax this morning. Bonked a 8# hatch at Coal on the slack, AP sandlance. Released one about the same at Fairfax an hour or so later.

Spent a couple hours at Coal and Fairfax this morning. Bonked a 8# hatch at Coal on the slack, AP sandlance. Released one about the same at Fairfax an hour or so later.
Might try tomorrow, are they on the bottom?

Is the Inlet derby this weekend or next ? I heard the Sidney derby was closed this year ( sad but understandable )

I just saw this post and friend asked me if I would fish it with him, out of my boat but never said what weekend. ( he has 2 tickets paid for by his boss )

Ok, beers away and bed time then.

May see me out there, if my friend has not found someone else with a boat to take him out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back