Monte Lake Kokanee ice fishing

FishDoc

This was my first ever successful ice fishing adventure for Kokanee Salmon fishing at Monte Lake. The lake is frozen quite well now and there are fish out there suspended below the ice waiting to find your lure. On my rod I used a Gibbs Gator Spoon flasher, 14 inches of four pound fluorocarbon leader tied to a Backcountry tackle 5 mm Pink Quick Flicker Tungsten Jig. I tipped the jig with half a meal worm. While many other people on the ice were not having much luck, I was able to pull my limit quickly using this method. A must have for better success in a Flasher Sonar like my Marcum or any other type of fish finder device. This will help you see where the fish are in the water column. You can use this advantage to present your lure in the right location. It also helps you get ready for a bite when you see the fish swimming towards your lure.

Last edited:
Good to see you guys limited out. We went out this past Family day using sling blades for flashers..glow hooks tipped with shrimp maggots..nothing not even a bite..

Good to see you guys limited out. We went out this past Family day using sling blades for flashers..glow hooks tipped with shrimp maggots..nothing not even a bite..

LJ, I've found the middle parking lot, straight out to deeper water 150-200 yards from shore , down to 40' if you don't have a finder and slowly jig your way up in the column until you find the depth, mark your line and get it back down there after hook up, you have the right set up just need to find em now, don't feel its just you, lots guys get skunked on Monte.....can be frustrating and very rewarding all the same, good luck !

Well BCROB the next time to go to Monte, give me a shout. I will meet you in the centre parking lot and walk out to the deeper water. Perhaps you can show me what Im doing wrong? Would be much appreciated...

Back