Reels....Explain the differences to me...Islander, Amundson, Trophy, etc

Trophy XL QR Mooching reels been really good to me, clicker is quite but i'm beginning to realize that most of the fish that were landed
are the ones that i didn't see bending the rod, by the time i get it the line is straight hook is set, so i'm not gonna fix what's not broken,
we miss those little things and start changing things and wonder what happened, will move up one day to different reels.

I do have Amundson Therons with braid which I really like as a solid reel (no line creep) but I do worry about having loosing them or having them stolen from a pure $$$ perspective.

Called spoke to a lady, she said Dan was unavailable.
Anyways back to regular price $375 and they don’t like to ship to US.
Oh well it was worth the call.

He man, I could reship to you down south. Stores like Harbour Chandler have free shipping in Canada & it would be nothing to redirect to you. I see these reels on sale a few times a year. Next time I do I will send you a message. Next sale should be springtime.

Called spoke to a lady, she said Dan was unavailable.
Anyways back to regular price $375 and they don’t like to ship to US.
Oh well it was worth the call.
We are so close too! I can see the San Juan islands from my house.
I’ll touch base when I go in for my weekly shop and see what I can do.

He man, I could reship to you down south. Stores like Harbour Chandler have free shipping in Canada & it would be nothing to redirect to you. I see these reels on sale a few times a year. Next time I do I will send you a message. Next sale should be springtime.

Sounds good and thanks a ton

index.php

Amundson Trend X5 Mooching Reel Black (Limited Quantity Available)
Regular price $399.99 Crew Member Price $299.99. Includes FREE spooling with 30 # Suffix Mono line!
https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/featured-products-and-services.72797/

This may be the route I go.

I've got one. Its nice but nothing like an islander
I have no doubt that it's not like an Islander, but I got 2 of them for the price of one Islander. I like the fact that the Peetz has a modern one way drag system, but is otherwise very simple in design and also classic in appearance. Very reminiscent of the Hardy Longstone in appearance. While Islanders are certainly very fine reels, unless I were fishing for billfish I doubt whether the drag offers any tangible advantages for the experienced angler over a Shimano GT 4000, Daiwa M1 (what the Peetz are replacing) or the Peetz. Note that I said tangible advantages; the aesthetics of a smoother drag and other things are just that, aesthetic. And for lots of people, that justifies the higher pricer and that's certainly fine. But for me, less is sometimes more. I find that most mooching reel drags are more than adequate to the task, as I really fight the fish using the palming ring anyway. I almost switched to wooden Peetz reels with the new one way drag for salmon. But I did get two old Peetz wooden reels refurbished and modern drags installed - for halibut. The fact that they are Canadian reels with a long history is the aesthetic part that I like. There are reels for every taste!

PEETZ SS is certainly a workhorse. I couldn't compare it to a Hardy Longstone though. They are two entirely different animals. The PEETZ is quite a bit larger and heavier than the Lonstone, although - yes they will both complete the same job quite adequately. These are all Longstones and the flat faced one is smaller then the contoured one. Both models are a much smaller & lighter profile than the PEETZ. All my PEETZ are wood. :)

Hope that helps.

Reminiscent of the Hardy Longstone “in appearance” is what I said. I agree they are mechanically quite different, as they are in size and weight.

I’ve used the Peetz, Trophy, Amundson, Islander and Abel’s.
I started out with shimano gt2000 reels and I’d sooner get those before trophy’s.
Go islander. Don’t waste your money or time. Islander will last you forever and their customer service is incredible. When you pick up a trophy/amundson in one hand and an islander in the other you’ll understand. The cheaper reels don’t feel solid - almost flimsy. The drag I’ve found can be tough to find the happy spot. Islander MR3 feels like it’s bulletproof. The quality of the drag is nuts and they sound amazing. The stainless peetz is nicer than the cheaper ones, but my uncle keeps his on the boat year round and that drag contstantly needs refreshing. I also don’t love the fact they’re silent on the retrieve.

Abel’s are too expensive and of the same quality of islander. Don’t waste your money there either.

MR3 is the way to go. Well worth the investment. You won’t itch to upgrade again in a few years. Tr3 looks nice but I wouldn’t spend the $900+ on them. I take care of my gear so I don’t desire the sealed ceramic drag.

Tips in boys

If I was you, I'd take into consideration how deep you usually troll for salmon. If you fish in the Campbell River area, you'll be fishing deep, usually over 200'. From my experience Trophy and even the Islander MR series have a fair amount of line creep (can't speak about the TR3). The Amundson's have a carbon fibre drag and line creep is pretty much non-existent so for me, that's what I went with. I know several guides in this area that have also done away with their Islanders due to line creep. Just something to keep in mind. The new paddle handles on the Amundson's feel way better than the round aluminum ones.

Cheers,

WW

Have trophies and had a mr3. The line creep on islander was frustrating. Fishing solo off Nanaimo, I was constantly adjusting islander and not touching trophy. For a reel more that double the price should work perfectly out of the box, the line creep sucks. Yes they are built beautifully but not worth the money. The click, click was frustrating, and my friends agreed when I took it on their boat. Back to my trophies , love them, going 5 years strong

Last edited:
Back