Ice Fishing for Kokanee on Monte Lake

lumberjac

Has anyone been to Monte Lake to fish for Kokanee? I would be extremely grateful to those who might share some of their know how on their success.

Has anyone been to Monte Lake to fish for Kokanee? I would be extremely grateful to those who might share some of their know how on their success.

I haven't tried kokanee fishing on Monte Lake yet, but I would imagine it's very similar to most kokanee lakes up here in the cariboo. Find the spot where most people are ice fishing out on the lake and walk out to a bunch of tents and ask if you can fish with them. Explain to the people you meet that you are new to kokanee fishing and are looking for some pointers. Most kokanee anlgers will be willing to help you.

If you're looking for more information about kokanee fishing in British Columbia, you can check out our YouTube channel, Fougere Family adventures or find us on Facebook at Kokanee Fishing BC.

Lumberjac,

Here's a video from my YouTube channel that I made last year. I'm hoping to make a few more ice fishing videos this year to help people learn. Stay tuned or subscribe to our channel for up to date information.

Lumberjac,

Here's a video from my YouTube channel that I made last year. I'm hoping to make a few more ice fishing videos this year to help people learn. Stay tuned or subscribe to our channel for up to date information.

Thank you very much Ben. R U using any scents? If you R please post them, I heard of scnts being used for Kokanee.

Thank you very much Ben. R U using any scents? If you R please post them, I heard of scnts being used for Kokanee.

We use a few different scents. I like to let the kokanee tell us what they want each day. Sometimes scents like garlic bloody tuna, bloody tuna, shrimp and anise work. Everyday is different.

Hi Ben,
What is the name of the "dodger" that you used in the video. Also how big is it?

The name of the Dodger in this video is a sling blade made by Mack's Lure. It is 6 inches long.

The name of the Dodger in this video is a sling blade made by Mack's Lure. It is 6 inches long.
Hi Ben thanks for the info...Mack makes a few different kinds of sling blades can you recollect which one it is? My nearest supplier of Mack Lures is in 100 mile House so Im going to place an order.

just be careful if you go up there. my brother-in-law lives right across the Hwy at Monte Lake and he said the ice is not very thick right now.
although with our current weather conditions that could change.
just be cautious!

just be careful if you go up there. my brother-in-law lives right across the Hwy at Monte Lake and he said the ice is not very thick right now.
although with our current weather conditions that could change.
just be cautious!
Thanks for the heads up. I was to Monte Lake a week ago Friday and measured 8" of ice

Kenkraft in Coldstream and Herbys in Vernon have some Mack’s flashers if you get that far in your travels
I phoned all over Canada to find one and didn't so I did an online purchase with Mack Lures. I was surprised the amount wasn't that steep.

Last edited:
Kencraft will have everything and more that you need for Kokanee , if you get to Kelowna stop in to Trout waters as well they have a great selection , but plan to stay for a while just to look through everything , good luck on Monte

Hi Ben thanks for the info...Mack makes a few different kinds of sling blades can you recollect which one it is? My nearest supplier of Mack Lures is in 100 mile House so Im going to place an order.

I like the bendable dodgers in red or blue tape. Mack's makes some dodgers that are not bendable. I'm not a fan of the non-bendable dodgers, but they will work and catch fish.

I ordered the blue UV 41158 sling blade. See if it catches fish(kokanee)..LOL

I'm sure it will. Good luck when you get to use it.

SlingBladeUV622.jpg

Back