The Little Things

For me the little things seem to have changed over the years. first was the catching , Then it was the learning all the secretes to catching , Then it was the competition, Trying to catch the most and biggest. Now days it's spending time with my Dad who got me addicted to fishing as a small boy. Now the catching and big fish are just a bonus.

This is very true. The tale of the maturing fisher. After years of adventures, it boils down to just enjoying the outing. The fish are a bonus. Big ones, little ones, days with plenty of fish, getting skunked.... eventually it matters not. It’s just fun to do it and spend time with your family and friends. Never do I go home disappointed.

Every day is a good day on the water, but coming in with something to show for your efforts really makes me smile.

Growing up my dad would make me run the boat and rig all the gear, his job was to reel the fish in and make sure the beer didn’t get warm. Looking back this is what made me the confident fisherman I am today.

My dad would always say “ We aren’t out here for the boat ride “

It’s funny that guys mention not being able to sleep the night before like a little kid at Xmas, I doubt I have ever had a decent sleep before I have gone out. It even worse if I go out with a guide or on a trip somewhere.

I will never forget sitting up front of the 14’ Lund coming in from the lighthouse on uncountable summer evenings and my dad saying “ Hold on to your hat “ as he hammered the throttle.

Every day is a good day on the water, but coming in with something to show for your efforts really makes me smile.

Growing up my dad would make me run the boat and rig all the gear, his job was to reel the fish in and make sure the beer didn’t get warm. Looking back this is what made me the confident fisherman I am today.

My dad would always say “ We aren’t out here for the boat ride “

It’s funny that guys mention not being able to sleep the night before like a little kid at Xmas, I doubt I have ever had a decent sleep before I have gone out. It even worse if I go out with a guide or on a trip somewhere.

I will never forget sitting up front of the 14’ Lund coming in from the lighthouse on uncountable summer evenings and my dad saying “ Hold on to your hat “ as he hammered the throttle.
Thanks for both of your recent comments about the forum and now fishing. Glad to see you contributing! Looking forward to reading more about your knowledge and good attitude!
Cheers,
Steve

My best friend died 2 summers ago. he lived in Albuquerque New Mexico. We fished together for 40 years. he came up here for a week every summer starting in 1990 and we fished with Rollie in Sooke and Wayne Laungren and then bought a boat and fished Port Renfrew. We fished there every summer since 1993. He loved the crab and fishing and especially seeing the eagles. After he died his wife asked me if I would spread some of his ashes up here for her and for him. We spread them at the west mouth of the bay where the big rock juts up and has a tree growing out of it. There was an eagle setting in the tree on the rock as we did it. It was very special and boy do I miss him.

Stizzla, line through the head first time!! Especially on the chrome heads, when there is that little bit of paint? still covering it, and you've lined it up so perfectly it blasts right through... that one, that's the one that will get the tyee. It's ready to work!

First light, shallow water, mooching rods, rubbing next to the kelp... nothing beats that, especially on the north coast of Haida Gwaii. Anyone lucky enough to have spent time there knows the feeling. High slack, water starts to trickle, adrenaline starts to pulse, 7 pulls, rod doesn't buckle, but slowly corks over and then the head shakes start. Full body head shakes, rod tip pulsing a couple feet either way on each toss of the 40? 50? pounder's head! The behemoth blows up on the surface, shows off it's adipose fin the size of beer can, tail as broad as flasher, and shoulders that make the Rock a little jealous. Here comes that adrenaline, now exploding through your body like the line off your reel. And then, pop. He spits it..... he spat it?! He SPAT it?! But I set it perfectly, those hooks were in, I crushed it, he was already taking line, the drag was perfect, are those hooks sharp, razor sharp. He spat it!?

Ahhhh, but there's honestly nothing that makes me want to keep fishing more than those moments, that one, THE one, that keeps you searching for that adrenaline pulse. The landed fish are always great, but it's the ones we don't get that are the not so little things that really keep me excited on the water.

Also, anytime the sun is on the horizon, the beers are flowing, and friends and family are onboard with smiles on their faces.

Can't wait for summer to return!
The ones that got away keep me up at night............What did I do wrong?

The ones that got away keep me up at night............What did I do wrong?
I’ve lost only one big one that I had at the boat, and I would say I haven’t gone more than a couple of days without thinking of it.
I REALLY need some bigger fish this year!!
I definitely know what I did wrong. And I won’t do it again!

I love this thread because each time I read someone's post, it elicits a memory and a smile - from being the little kid up early (with my Popeil Pocket Fisherman in hand) so I wasn't missed) to simply being on the water with friends and family to spreading my dad's ashes down the canal where it truly all started over 40 years ago - so many awesome memories. There is truly an evolutionary process to these Little Things...Thanks Stizzla.

I’ve lost only one big one that I had at the boat, and I would say I haven’t gone more than a couple of days without thinking of it.
You didn't loose that one at the boat.... as you never had it. Reframe your thinking and all will be well.

You didn't loose that one at the boat.... as you never had it. Reframe your thinking and all will be well.
It was laying there on its side for 30 Seconds while I untangled the net. I had it!
I do look at the positives, like the fact that I actually convinced a large fish to bite and I battled it for 20 minutes, but the only cure is more cowbell! I mean another large salmon

Where to start....

The "wtf" moment when the first rod goes off in your hand when you are just starting to set the gear at first light.

4 sockeye on with 2 of you in the boat.

Every time someone says "switch over"

When coho hit the gear while you are putting the line in the clip.

The smell of a chinook.

Jumpers everywhere.

High fives when its in the net.

Stories only told on boat with really good friends.

Got to love boat time..period.

It was laying there on its side for 30 Seconds while I untangled the net. I had it!
I do look at the positives, like the fact that I actually convinced a large fish to bite and I battled it for 20 minutes, but the only cure is more cowbell! I mean another large salmon
I emphasize .....you never had it. Kind of like really good looking women in bars....just because they look in our direction we do not have them.

I emphasize .....you never had it. Kind of like really good looking women in bars....just because they look in our direction we do not have them.
Same there. I have them laying on their side for 30 seconds :D

The best memories are the ones that got away

As others have mentioned, a great thread Stizzla.

Having a boat and the luxury of being able to fish provides so many memories. One of my favourites was the first time my grandson, 7yrs old at the time, slept over so we could go fishing early next morning. I told him I would wake him at 5am. I got up at 4:30 and was going to go downstairs to make lunch for the day. Opened the bedroom door and he was kneeling on the floor waiting for me, all dressed and ready to go. Asked why he was up so early and he said he was making sure I didn't go fishing without him. We spent an absolute awesome day together on the water and I often think about the million and 1 questions he asked me that day. Can't remember if we caught a fish that day or not but it really didn't matter.
Ya, that one is priceless—we all remember not being able to sleep in Xmas eve— kids before a fishing trip ; you gotta love em

Ladies and gentlemen,

I have decided to use this particular thread (one of my own) to announce I will be leaving this forum.

There are SO many great people here that have been willing to share their opinions and knowledge to help others be better, and a few bad ones who want to drag happy people down. I feel as though I’ve shared so much with all of you including pictures of my family and the feelings of fishing failure I’ve had while trying to learn the skill of this beautiful pastime. It’s the bad ones that have made me not want to share anymore.

I have heard enough people’s view, that I post too much, and hijack threads, and that might be true. I’m an all in, passionate guy who likes to make others smile with a fun thread, or joke. The truth is I’ve got a busy life as a husband, father, son, friend, business owner, landlord, and being a terrible fisherman. I have some addictive behaviour and spend a lot of time on here. If I stop I’ll have more time to spend with my family and friends and actually going fishing.

If all goes well, I will come back to make one more post in the future on the bragging rights thread (my favourite one that I started IMO) so that those of you who have helped me can feel a bit a sense of relief when I actually land a good fish!

If anyone want to keep in touch or potentially go fishing shoot me a PM. I’ll keep in touch with those I already text with obviously.

Good luck out there!

Stizzla out.

Ladies and gentlemen,

I have decided to use this particular thread (one of my own) to announce I will be leaving this forum.

There are SO many great people here that have been willing to share their opinions and knowledge to help others be better, and a few bad ones who want to drag happy people down. I feel as though I’ve shared so much with all of you including pictures of my family and the feelings of fishing failure I’ve had while trying to learn the skill of this beautiful pastime. It’s the bad ones that have made me not want to share anymore.

I have heard enough people’s view, that I post too much, and hijack threads, and that might be true. I’m an all in, passionate guy who likes to make others smile with a fun thread, or joke. The truth is I’ve got a busy life as a husband, father, son, friend, business owner, landlord, and being a terrible fisherman. I have some addictive behaviour and spend a lot of time on here. If I stop I’ll have more time to spend with my family and friends and actually going fishing.

If all goes well, I will come back to make one more post in the future on the bragging rights thread (my favourite one that I started IMO) so that those of you who have helped me can feel a bit a sense of relief when I actually land a good fish!

If anyone want to keep in touch or potentially go fishing shoot me a PM. I’ll keep in touch with those I already text with obviously.

Good luck out there!

Stizzla out.
This place just wouldn't be the same without you. I know 99% of the guys on here feel the same. I hope you reconsider.

This place just wouldn't be the same without you. I know 99% of the guys on here feel the same. I hope you reconsider.

X 2, always enjoy your banter stizzla if some can’t handle your input that’s their problem, Your one of the bright spots on this forum. You’ll take a break, we all do now and then but you’ll be back.

All I can say is - don’t let the bastards get you down...

The vast majority appreciate your input and the rest, well they don’t really matter.

There’s already enough negativity in this world that we really don’t need to concern ourselves with personal attacks here.

If you don’t like what you see, don’t read the thread. Simple.

Back