Lets talk Downrigger Braid

Heres a quick picture walkthru on how I rig my DRs. Apologies for the filthy cooler lid. I used my manual rigger for the demo and a small hali weifght in place of the cannonball but you should get the idea.

Supplies needed (also lighter + scissors to trim+burn tag ends)
20190129_143938.jpg

Heres how to tie the overhand knot with a loop
20190129_144023.jpg
20190129_144035.jpg

And the 2nd loop
20190129_144107.jpg

Now you take the braid and make a loop, and feed it through the loop of the paracord like so
20190129_144144.jpg

Then loosely tie an overhand knot in the looped braid
20190129_144228.jpg

Then feed the big loop at the bottom end of the paracord through the loop you made previously in the braid
20190129_144254.jpg
20190129_144306.jpg

Start snugging up the overhand knot
20190129_144338.jpg
20190129_144349.jpg

Then pull the tag end until the knot is tight
View attachment 43024

Now feed the larger loop through the eye of the cannonball
View attachment 43025

Wrap the loop around the ball like so
View attachment 43026
View attachment 43027

Snug it up
View attachment 43028

Trim up the tag ends, and youre done!
This is basically how I do mine, except I use the biggest swivel I can find between the braid and the paracord. The swivel acts as the stop
I also set the tension on my downrigger so that when I stand at the side of the boat with a 15 lb ball on the line, the brake slips with about 50 lbs of extra pulling pressure.
I have saved more than a few balls snagged on the bottom by doing this.

I like the paracord method only thing different I will add is a large snap at the end instead of going straight to the cannon ball. I like to take off my weights and put everything away in it's spot when done fishing. I can see that paracord getting pretty tight on the cannon ball hook and being a bit of a pain to lossen all the time.

There is no need for the swivel as the knot acts as the stopper.
the swivel just becomes another possible failure point.
I must have to tie a bigger knot, because mine will come all the way into the spool.
With regard to the swivel. I have not had one fail yet.

The paracord I bought was 250lb (2.25mm?). The overhand looked too big so I went with the Albright. Much cleaner and works as a stop no problem. I still tied the snubber on (figure 8) for security, ease of ball removal, and the swivel because I use round balls (no fin).

The paracord I bought was 250lb (2.25mm?). The overhand looked too big so I went with the Albright. Much cleaner and works as a stop no problem. I still tied the snubber on (figure 8) for security, ease of ball removal, and the swivel because I use round balls (no fin).
That’s why you’re in a slump. Get some fins on those balls then dip them in glow!

I like the paracord method only thing different I will add is a large snap at the end instead of going straight to the cannon ball. I like to take off my weights and put everything away in it's spot when done fishing. I can see that paracord getting pretty tight on the cannon ball hook and being a bit of a pain to lossen all the time.
no snap needed just pass the loop through the eye of the cannon ball and over the ball and you are done, it never cinches on, been doing like this for a few years now, and i take the balls off every trip out

That is a good idea with big loop rather than a snap to attach the ball. My aging fingers are having a harder and harder time opening and closing those big snaps - especially on these colder days. Now to retie my rigs!

That is a good idea with big loop rather than a snap to attach the ball. My aging fingers are having a harder and harder time opening and closing those big snaps - especially on these colder days. Now to retie my rigs!
If you have trouble with a snap I really don't recommend the loop. I wouldn't say it was impossibly hard but definitely not easy to get it undone I found. Sort of a two handed flip and twist while balancing the ball, could have just been me. I find the snap on the snubber to much more of a natural movement.

Great info in this thread. I just took my downriggers into Scotty's for servicing. In addition to servicing, I've asked them to swap the stainless cable for braid on both as I am tired of the cable constantly getting kinked, fraying, and rusting. Seems to be an endless problem, and my wife is tired of me loosing cannon balls. At $45 for a 12lb, plus snubber, clips etc, I could have bought a lot of fresh salmon by now! I like the simplified rigging suggestions here with the paracord, might have to give that a try.

Back