Sell a BC boat to a US resident

BigHog

Have anyone done this? How does it work going from BC to WA? I have imported a couple US boats and it is straight forward. Does the owner need to physically take the boat across the border either on a trailer or by water? What sort of paperwork is involved.

thanks in advance.

Surely there is someone locally that would appreciate those beautiful Carolina Classic lines (and not have to go to North Carolina and pay USD's to get one! )

She's gorgeous!

The dollars so low I would imagine there would be a few Americans looking north for some deals....

No question on that! Only if they can find the right boat in our limited inventory tho....
Interesting as I had my boat on CL Van, Nanaimo and Seattle. No calls from the USA which really surprised me but tons of calls from Vancouver Island. $10K difference on a $41K Canadian boat.
Boat sold today after been on the market for 6 days to a fellow in Victoria.

I'll be trying to sell my boat in the US this spring, good way to get some US cash plus I'm thinking I can get the same denomination in usd that I would probably get here giving me an extra 30% approx. I think there may be some kind of duty on now going both ways from when Trumpet started the tariff bs. not sure on that though.

I've had a couple serious guys from WA and OR re my boat. I believe there is a duty (thanks Trump) on boat imports to the US. Just wondering what paper work I would need to provide to a US buyer for him to import it back to the US? Things should heat up in the next few weeks as both boat shows finish up and people start thinking about boating again! Some good deals out there but limited amount of good boats available for sure.

Make up a Bill of sale breaking down cost of boat/motor/trailer/ accessories. Buyer/sellers names and addresses.

They will need to bring that to border with the boat in tow and declare it upon entry back to US and will pay duties/taxes at the border.

Then they will take the forms from border to register in whatever state they are in to register and create title paperwork (US has titles for boats/trailers)

Should be pretty straight forward.

Not your problem if they are from the US it's up to them to figure out how to get it back same as when a Canadian buys a boat from the US it's our problem to figure it out :) Probably the same steps we take for outbound boats going south I would assume. I wouldn't make it your problem and or responsibility.

If you offer to haul it over the line what are you going to say at the border? Could risk having your boat seized. The only reason they would want you to I bet it to by pass the taxes and or duties. Why take on the risk.

Last edited:
Ya I have been asked to delivery it to Blaine or Bham. I am concerned what will happen at the border. Better to leave the transport from Vancouver to where ever up to the buyer ....

thanks

I would assume you could simply complete the sale in the US. Both parties sign the bill of sale, you take the plates off your trailer, get your cash and head home. Go to ICBC, turn in the plates and cancel the trailer insurance. Done! Once it's out of your hands, the buyer has to deal with US tax, license, boat registration etc.

I would call the border and ask them. You may need to look at whether your trailer and boat insurance is valid in the US also. May need a rider for the US travel part. (Not sure...)

Seems to me there is more here than meets the Eye. I have been asked many times at the US border if I am leaving anything in the States.-Duh-just this boat!! Sell it up here and complete the paper work then -if you must-tow his boat for him to the states. I would be careful with the sell it to him in the States bit-aren't you really exporting it??

There’s more into this. I would call the US customes and also check with CBSA in case the deal falls theough and you end up bringing the boat back to Canada.

You can also call one of the custom clearance/import-export companies and see if they can take the boat to Blaine at buyer’s cost? The cost is usually not that big.

If you complete the deal here in Canada, get your $$ wired to you and the bill of sales signed then it would actually be an “import” to US and the buyer is responsible to complete the custom release process on the US side.

Can the buyer not come to surrey and pick it up, like what we would typically do when buying a boat down there and bringing it home?

I would assume you could simply complete the sale in the US. Both parties sign the bill of sale, you take the plates off your trailer, get your cash and head home. Go to ICBC, turn in the plates and cancel the trailer insurance. Done! Once it's out of your hands, the buyer has to deal with US tax, license, boat registration etc.
I believe the duties and tariffs on the boat should be paid at the point of entry. Taxes on tbe trailer can only be paid after aigning the papers. There’s also checks on the trailer compliance with the US regs that are done at the border.

I believe that is the case same as when you cross into Canada you have to take care of paying the border your taxes owed and there is paperwork needed as well that you take with you that's required back here for registration etc. The border will smell a rat if they see a Canadian pulling a boat like that across the border and look up 25 Carolina Classic for sale Vancouver, there it is online your add or adds - busted. At that point they may give you the opportunity to come clean or maybe they will just impound it and make you go through a long process to get it back if your able to. At most get a deposit, meet him near the line but stay on the Canadian side get your cash and let him hook up and deal with the import :) Had a guy last year wanting me to bring a motor to WA at first I said sure I could figure something out, shortly after getting off the phone common sense kicked in and I said you have to come get it :) Deal didn't work out but a sale was made here at home shortly after no stress or risk involved.

Back