95TH IPHC Meeting in Victoria

All right now im confused...

lol I know, I think they have a bunch of facts wrong i read it and was like??? I think last year they made big cuts to catch limits but most of the reductions never happened because canada and us could not come to an agreement so it reverted back to the previous year?

very hard to follow i find

Last edited:
lol I know, I think they have a bunch of facts wrong i read it and was like??? I think last year they made big cuts to catch limits but most of the reductions never happened because canada and us could not come to an agreement so it reverted back to the previous year?

very hard to follow i find

This one is confusing too

"The International Pacific Halibut Commission (IPHC) reported another year of declining stocks in most areas of the coast however.

The International Pacific Halibut Commission (IPHC) decided Friday to set the total US and Canadian catch limits at 38.61 million pounds, 38 percent more"

https://www.intrafish.com/fisheries/1691772/pacific-halibut-quota-increased-for-2019-season

This one is confusing too

"The International Pacific Halibut Commission (IPHC) reported another year of declining stocks in most areas of the coast however.

The International Pacific Halibut Commission (IPHC) decided Friday to set the total US and Canadian catch limits at 38.61 million pounds, 38 percent more"

https://www.intrafish.com/fisheries/1691772/pacific-halibut-quota-increased-for-2019-season

I doubt this works in canadas Favor... Probably more to the Alaskans

The 6.83m lbs is correct. Down 270k from last year. What I am waiting for is the actual Rec allocation. I ain’t holding my breath until we see what It actually ends up at. Also the 10% over /under is still on the table and undecided on,is it not??? Correct me if I am wrong please.

For the record that over/under makes me nervous.

On a side note I got a
Response from Andrew Thomas to my latest letter regaeding allocation. Same bs of repeating everything I said in letter. And then this:

“There are no plans to revisit the current halibut allocation formula, although I understand the concerns expressed in your letter and your interest in the conservation of Pacific halibut. The Department will continue to discuss how to support stability for the recreational fishery with the Sport Fishing Advisory Board (SFAB), recognizing that any such measures must operate within the allocations available to the recreational fishery.”

The 6.83m lbs is correct. Down 270k from last year. What I am waiting for is the actual Rec allocation. I ain’t holding my breath until we see what It actually ends up at. Also the 10% over /under is still on the table and undecided on,is it not??? Correct me if I am wrong please.

Jencourt, if you saw my earlier post, with the drastic increase in rec release mortality assigned by a DFO in 2018, it raised the total rec mortality from 83% of the allocated quota (lbs harvested) to 95% of the allocated quota (lbs harvested + lbs estimated lost due to rec release mortality) .... I would be highly surprised if DFO entertains carryover of 5% as that is smaller than the estimation error for rec fishing data. Also, given that the release mortality # used by DFO (which I feel is complete and utter, non- data supported BS) was reported as 177% of the pre-season release mortality forecast, I’m sure DFO will use that as an excuse to be even more conservative! I’d love to be wrong about that!

Cheers!

Ukee

On a side note I got a
Response from Andrew Thomas to my latest letter regaeding allocation. Same bs of repeating everything I said in letter. And then this:

“There are no plans to revisit the current halibut allocation formula, although I understand the concerns expressed in your letter and your interest in the conservation of Pacific halibut. The Department will continue to discuss how to support stability for the recreational fishery with the Sport Fishing Advisory Board (SFAB), recognizing that any such measures must operate within the allocations available to the recreational fishery.”

Just sent this response back to the minister and Thomson:

Mr Minister and Mr Thomson:

With all due respect Your response to my letter is an insult to myself and all recreational fishers. You have done little more than repeat every fact of concern I mentioned in the letter.

As previously mentioned the current allocation of 85/15 displays a complete lack of respect and lack of understanding as to the significant negative impact it has on the recreational sector, and the many thousands of people who depend on it.To suggest that “there is no plan to re visit the current Halibut allocation formula” is in direct contrast to your statement that “The Department will continue to discuss how to support stability for the recreational fishery”

Your departments predictable position of disregarding the significance of recreational fishing is one that myself and many others will no longer accept. I for one am very disappointed with DFO’s lack of respect and its insistence upon taking the easy (do nothing) approach regarding fair and equitable allocation of a Public resource such as Halibut.

In response to this and in absence of a move toward correcting this issue, I will be doing all I can to make sure this disrespect is represented at the poles in the upcoming federal election .

Regards: Ray Haines

So that’s pretty close (within 5%) to last year, plus the season seems to be opening later than last year. so with that we should get a larger of a fish? Especially if we go 1/1
Do t get me wrong it’s a pile of steaming BS what we get, in just trying to find something here that’s positive

So that’s pretty close (within 5%) to last year, plus the season seems to be opening later than last year. so with that we should get a larger of a fish? Especially if we go 1/1
Do t get me wrong it’s a pile of steaming BS what we get, in just trying to find something here that’s positive

Time will tell. I guess. Hard to know what will happen? I imagine the sfab has lots to consider this year more than others maybe. (Salmon regs, this years ASSUMED mortality etc). I am hopeful that they will find a way to give us a little more options on the demographic of fish we can choose from.

As far as a later start time. Did I miss something ? I was not aware it had been decided yet? The March 15 start that came from IPHC is for commercial sector as I understand it.

All I know for sure is I hope we all can enjoy a reasonable fishing season and make some more memories with friends and family. Bring on sunny days and bent rods.

Time will tell. I guess. Hard to know what will happen? I imagine the sfab has lots to consider this year more than others maybe. (Salmon regs, this years ASSUMED mortality etc). I am hopeful that they will find a way to give us a little more options on the demographic of fish we can choose from.

As far as a later start time. Did I miss something ? I was not aware it had been decided yet? The March 15 start that came from IPHC is for commercial sector as I understand it.

All I know for sure is I hope we all can enjoy a reasonable fishing season and make some more memories with friends and family. Bring on sunny days and bent rods.
I was curious as well. I thought the Sport season was set after the fact and any changes took place came into effect with the issue of the new license. Also in the past, didn’t they have an opening in the New Year that was based on leftovers and your not yet expired license? Maybe that was just when our 15% hadn’t been harvested?

It's not decided yet as far as I know as to date and details. Can't be decided on the forum in all honesty. SFAB has to meet and hash out details. Sure you will all know soon enough.

I was curious as well. I thought the Sport season was set after the fact and any changes took place came into effect with the issue of the new license. Also in the past, didn’t they have an opening in the New Year that was based on leftovers and your not yet expired license? Maybe that was just when our 15% hadn’t been harvested?

You are mostly correct to my understanding that is.

Rec season will be set once DFO has considered SFAB recommendations and has adopted the rules for 2019/20 licenses.
If we open prior to the april 1 start of new license we will be bound by the conditions of the old license until new license takes affect on April 1.

Any fish harvested will come out of new years TAC . As I understood it Wen we open in feb or March in the past all catch was taken from the New Years TAC.

I am not aware of a time where we where allowed to continue on old tac for feb/March opening. If I have this wrong someone please correct me as I take pride in trying to be reasonably sure of facts befor posting on stuff

You are mostly correct to my understanding that is.

Rec season will be set once DFO has considered SFAB recommendations and has adopted the rules for 2019/20 licenses.
If we open prior to the april 1 start of new license we will be bound by the conditions of the old license until new license takes affect on April 1.

Any fish harvested will come out of new years TAC . As I understood it Wen we open in feb or March in the past all catch was taken from the New Years TAC.

I am not aware of a time where we where allowed to continue on old tac for feb/March opening. If I have this wrong someone please correct me as I take pride in trying to be reasonably sure of facts befor posting on stuff
I think you’re right. I think we had an opening Feb 1 but the rules were from the previous year.

Correct above. I think the only way we don’t have the anglers choice option is if it isn’t completely modelled. But thing is if you have the two options you’re giving anglers you can get a pretty damn close approximation to what will be taken. In theory it wouldn’t go above the highest poundage of the two options. And more likely falls between them.

Curious, have DFO and SFAB/C ever discussed the option of basing openings before April 1, when new licenses and seasonal regs take effect, on the previous years TAC, assuming there is some carry-over? As I understand it, the harvest during the “shoulder” seasons, ie outside of the prime June- Sep summer months, is not that significant. This could be a win-win by giving the rec sector the same “carry over” opportunity the commies have as well as saving all of the “new” TAC for the new season. Of course, it doesn’t work so well in years of no TAC avail to carry fwd, but then we haven’t had predictable, year round openings for many years now.

Perhaps an opportunity for a true pilot or experiment where our sector commits to data tracking with the bonus season running until the data shows the carry over is used up?

I’d even suggest we advocate for a special stamp for such a carryover season, with all funds going to the data tracking and reporting. Everyone who wants to participate in the Feb 1 - Mar 31 “carryover season” buys the stamp and has to record/report all effort, release and harvest. If enough $’s were raised it’d be great to be able to add on a tagging/tracking study to get our own data on C&R incident rates and halibut C&R mortality. Such a study could lead to best practices like the White Sturgeon fishery has - that’s a 100% C&R fishery on a SARA listed endangered stock of fish and the Ministries fisheries experts are comfortable that the BMPs keep release mortality at low enough levels to keep the fishery open.

Not sure if I’m in the minority or if the silent majority even cares but, these smaller TACs require some more creative thinking imho.

Cheers!

Ukee

Back