Lets talk Downrigger Braid

Just to clarify, granny knot you mean a square knot? What in your opinion is the best brand swivel and size for this? Much appreciated.

Thanks to all for the info. I had DR issues last summer while still learning - wasn’t adequately equipped with spare gear and missed a tide after pinging both DRs. Missing a tide is big for me given I get only two weeks on the ocean a summer. Won’t make those mistakes again...nothing beats time on the water to learn the hard way!

I have been running snubbers or the Scotty tuna cord/ snubber out of the box set up but I like the simplicity of this better. Gets rid of the stupid sure stops beads that never stay put.
They hold if you use two. But they're still stupid.
I'll be switching over to this as well I think.

The swivel will still be the weak point unless it’s huge then it won’t go though the roller. Just tie the braid straight to the gallion cord.

I use an Albright Knot for the paracord to the braid, and a figure 8 knot to the snubber (makes it easy to remove and replace if needed). Been doing it for years and has yet to fail me. The Albright also acts as the stopper as i hate using those things. It stops at the same place every time, but you can still feed it past if you need to (it basically makes the exact same shape as a stopper).

I use 200# scotty braid with a length of 2mm paracord at the end. Palomar knot to join the braid and paracord, with a loop at the bottom to connect the ball. No terminal tackle!

Where are you getting the paracord from ?

I have been looking to get 20-30’ of either this or tuna cord with our having to buy a lifetime supply.

Just to clarify, granny knot you mean a square knot? What in your opinion is the best brand swivel and size for this? Much appreciated.

Thanks to all for the info. I had DR issues last summer while still learning - wasn’t adequately equipped with spare gear and missed a tide after pinging both DRs. Missing a tide is big for me given I get only two weeks on the ocean a summer. Won’t make those mistakes again...nothing beats time on the water to learn the hard way!

I have been running snubbers or the Scotty tuna cord/ snubber out of the box set up but I like the simplicity of this better. Gets rid of the stupid sure stops beads that never stay put.

Granny or simple over-hand knot. Just connecting the two ends of the tuna cord... and knot can't be so large that it won't fit through eye on ball. I have used Berkley swivels and Matzuo swivels, both with excellent results. Something in the 100 to 200 lb. test range. As long as you are taking care to monitor the "health" of your swivel this setup will work great. The swivel goes in and out of the roller with no problem. It acts as the "stop" bead and trips the auto-stop on Scotty riggers. I use 15 lb. balls and no snubber. For me this setup has been working perfectly for 9 years.

“ If you guys need a more detailed breakdown I can do a step-by-step guide or something”

I’d be grateful for that and I suspect others would too!
Alright when I get a chance Ill snap some step-by-step pics from start to finish but its really simple guys

I have been looking to get 20-30’ of either this or tuna cord with our having to buy a lifetime supply.
I get mine from Trotac in Victoria, you can buy it by the foot and its super cheap. With that said, if you plan to make up a few spares, I find myself using close to 10' per rig so getting 50' or so is probably wise. I wanna say 50' will cost u somewhere between 10-20 bucks, and make 5 or 6 rigs which should last a long time if youre setting things up correctly.

Tuna cord works but it wears out sooner (and rots), and sometimes gets jammed in the pulleys so you need a really tight/streamlined knot.

Ill get around to posting a walkthru soon, just havent had time.

PNT also has it. I have bought it by a pre determined length as well as 50 feet to make your own custom lengths.

Oly

Tried other brands of braid, some are much thicker in diameter then others, had a store put on there stock line on for me and i
had Power Pro on already the other side diameters were noticeable, Power Pro cut the water like a knife very little blow back
the store stuff had major blow back was very annoying in just little current and faster speeds, just something to keep in mind
What lb Power Pro?

Why use the plastic clip to the snubber?
To be honest those are old pictures. Now I don't use any hardware, straight braid to paracord to the ball with a loop. So zero $$$ loss if you snag bottom other then losing the cannonball.

Plenty of good advice in this here thread. Another thing. I have different kinds of braid on my different riggers. The ones I like best are white or something hi viz, way easier to see my rigger angle in low light situations, and also easier to monitor angle on the turns. Just something to think about, since some of those braids are black or dark green, which are tough for me to see, so I end up using those riggers less often. Just something else to think about,

fb

What lb Power Pro?
200lb awesome stuff..
cq5dam.thumbnail.319.319.png

Last edited:
Granny or simple over-hand knot. Just connecting the two ends of the tuna cord... and knot can't be so large that it won't fit through eye on ball. I have used Berkley swivels and Matzuo swivels, both with excellent results. Something in the 100 to 200 lb. test range. As long as you are taking care to monitor the "health" of your swivel this setup will work great. The swivel goes in and out of the roller with no problem. It acts as the "stop" bead and trips the auto-stop on Scotty riggers. I use 15 lb. balls and no snubber. For me this setup has been working perfectly for 9 years.

Almost forgot... these last couple years I have been using a Spro barrel swivel and I like this one the best.

Does 1.85 mm paracord work? Says it's 95lb tensile strength. Can't seem to find 2mm. Jumps up to 3mm. This is on amazon.

Power Pro a few years ago advertised a downrigger braid. I called them to see the difference since it was a little more expensive and was told they are exactly the same. Not sure if it is still offered.

Plenty of good advice in this here thread. Another thing. I have different kinds of braid on my different riggers. The ones I like best are white or something hi viz, way easier to see my rigger angle in low light situations, and also easier to monitor angle on the turns. Just something to think about, since some of those braids are black or dark green, which are tough for me to see, so I end up using those riggers less often. Just something else to think about,

fb
Me too. Sitting in the command bridge it is hard to see where the lines are. Looking for 200lb hivis yellow 500 yards but not easy to find. Might have to just order on Amazon.

Back