Quietest Kicker in the 9.9/15 High Thrust Category

Pineapple Express

Thinking about buying a kicker and trying to do some research before the boat show.

What kicker is quietest in the 9.9/15hp category?

The Yamaha 9.9HT has the lowest gear ratio, but does this mean you have to run the motor at higher RPMs?

The Honda has the biggest displacement and lowest rated RPM range.

The Merc 9.9 seems similar to the Yamaha 9.9. The Merc 15 is close in displacement to the Honda.

Thoughts?!

Looks like the Suzuki comes with a 4-blade prop but it's not marketed as a high-thrust unit. Does Suzuki make a high-thrust version?

In the 9.9 or 15 hi thrust, my mere 15 pro kicker was quieter and deeper sounding than my 9.9 Yamaha. Like @dmurph said, less throttle. Also a deeper exhaust note from the larger displacement. The 25hp Yamaha is even better however you wanted to stay within the 9.9 and 15 range.

Larger displacement of the 15 will create a deeper noise, less 'frantic' than the 9.9.

And the new Merc 15 Prokicker is EFI.

Just one guy's opinion.You should decide between the Merc or the Yamaha.Honda's are terrible for servicing and parts,Suzuki owners I know haven't been happy with them,noisy and rough.I've owned many 9.9 Yamaha's on different size boats and couldn't be more satisfied with them.The power tilt and control's is a must for me,bad back.Maybe check out which service center you'd prefer to deal with.

hope they are better than my 1999 4 stoke big foot merc. god i hate the noise it puts out!!! way louder than the yamaha hi thrusts that i have been around. Im sure the new ones are much better though.

I went from a 15 merc on my 24' old boat to a 9.9 yam on my Orca. I always find the 9.9 sounded like it was revving high and noisy. Even my buddies 2017 9.9 on his grady is loud to me compared to the 15 merc. I really liked the extra push on the 15 when the water or wind was up really kept the boat on tack. Just bought another 15 merc for my project boat.

Looks like the Suzuki comes with a 4-blade prop but it's not marketed as a high-thrust unit. Does Suzuki make a high-thrust version?
“Suzuki's High-Thrust 9.9 horsepower 4-stroke was specially designed for slammin' salmon and whackin' walleye. The new Batteryless EFI powerhead with an integrated power tilt system makes raising and lowering Suzuki's DF9.9TH High Thrust a breeze. With plenty of torque, a high-thrust propeller and a 2.08:1 gear ratio...”

http://www.suzukimarine.com/Product Lines/Outboard Motors/Products/DF9_9BT/2012/DF9_9BT EFI.aspx

Some people complain of a 'ringing' noise from the Suzuki 9.9 EFI while fishing - enough to make them hate the motor. Further complaints of vibration, and of poor ability to hold rpm trolling with the tiller control handle (only applicable if you're a tiller guy). Some suspect it's a restrictor plate causing the ringing noise. Not sure which years are affected but a quick google search for 'suzuki kicker noise' will steer you in the direction to see the comments.

I have never run one so I have no first hand knowledge, but there are too many threads about it to ignore without at least doing more research if you are in the market...

Video from Aug 2017;

Last edited:
I have a suzuki 9.9 brand new last April. Not a single complain, no ringing or harmonicas as some have stated. My understanding was that it was something with the stock props when they first came out.

I have the xl with controls, love the EFI and easy quick starts. Definetly no regrets from me

Good luck in your search

Sudsy's motor is one year newer than that Youtube video, and so his motor is the most recent and he has no complaints and has actual real world usage. Sounds like they got it fixed and it should be back in your consideration.

I have a suzuki 9.9 brand new last April. Not a single complain, no ringing or harmonicas as some have stated. My understanding was that it was something with the stock props when they first came out.

I have the xl with controls, love the EFI and easy quick starts. Definetly no regrets from me

Good luck in your search

I am looking at a low time demo at local shop because I need a motor with tilt after recent back trouble.
The dealer assured me that the noise issue has been dealt with.
I use a Trollmaster for my yammy 9.9, but I'm not sure if they make a servo strong enough to work with the very strong throttle return spring on the Suzuki.
Anyone have first hand experience with this?
Trollmaster does list this outboard on their application chart.

Last edited:
I am looking at a low time demo at local shop because I need a motor with tilt after recent back trouble.
The dealer assured me that the noise issue has been dealt with.
I use a Trollmaster for my yammy 9.9, but I'm not sure if they make a servo strong enough to work with the very strong throttle return spring on the Suzuki.
Anyone have first hand experience with this?
Trollmaster does list this outboard on their application chart.

Itroll is a much better product than the trollmaster. You can call Joel who builds them and speak with him personally, he’s a great guy that stands behind his product. I know when I spoke with him he mentioned the differences in the quality of the servos etc.. www.itroll.us

Back