Proposal By DFO - Changes to Prawn Daily Rec. Limit Being Considered

I posted this up on our SFAB Area 17 Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/NanaimoSFAC/, and circulated out by email . Please see the response from the SFAB sent to the DFO regarding potential shellfish management changes for 2019 ( Prawns, Crabs, Oysters and Crabs).

All of the pages are there, and see key points. Pay close attention to the Prawning section.

2019-01-04 SFAB Responses to the 2019 Shellfish Measures Implementation Documents_Page_1.jpg

Attachments

• 2019-01-04 SFAB Responses to the 2019 Shellfish Measures Implementation Documents_Page_2.jpg
    2019-01-04 SFAB Responses to the 2019 Shellfish Measures Implementation Documents_Page_2.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 2019-01-04 SFAB Responses to the 2019 Shellfish Measures Implementation Documents_Page_3.jpg
    2019-01-04 SFAB Responses to the 2019 Shellfish Measures Implementation Documents_Page_3.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 38
  • 2019-01-04 SFAB Responses to the 2019 Shellfish Measures Implementation Documents_Page_4.jpg
    2019-01-04 SFAB Responses to the 2019 Shellfish Measures Implementation Documents_Page_4.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 40
  • 2019-01-04 SFAB Responses to the 2019 Shellfish Measures Implementation Documents_Page_5.jpg
    2019-01-04 SFAB Responses to the 2019 Shellfish Measures Implementation Documents_Page_5.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 2019-01-04 SFAB Responses to the 2019 Shellfish Measures Implementation Documents_Page_6.jpg
    2019-01-04 SFAB Responses to the 2019 Shellfish Measures Implementation Documents_Page_6.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 2019-01-04 SFAB Responses to the 2019 Shellfish Measures Implementation Documents_Page_7.jpg
    2019-01-04 SFAB Responses to the 2019 Shellfish Measures Implementation Documents_Page_7.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
In the Vancouver-Sunshine Coast area there has been an explosion of recreational prawning in the last 20 years. There are days I estimate there are easily 300 or more traps prawning with sport sized mesh in the dead of winter—-in a Saturday and Sunday. When the spring weather hits....possibly many more. Never mind the ones I don’t see. Now that boats are bigger and electric pullers are more popular and readily available...participation is up..way up.

Personally, prawns are great...love ‘em. For how much I get out it sucks that I get 100.... but hey... go with 2 buddies and 300 prawns makes for a great feast! Add the Dungeness and Chinook and I have no complaints!

In the Vancouver-Sunshine Coast area there has been an explosion of recreational prawning in the last 20 years. There are days I estimate there are easily 300 or more traps prawning with sport sized mesh in the dead of winter—-in a Saturday and Sunday. When the spring weather hits....possibly many more. Never mind the ones I don’t see. Now that boats are bigger and electric pullers are more popular and readily available...participation is up..way up.

Personally, prawns are great...love ‘em. For how much I get out it sucks that I get 100.... but hey... go with 2 buddies and 300 prawns makes for a great feast! Add the Dungeness and Chinook and I have no complaints!

I get what you are saying.
For those who can spend multiple days on the water year round it less of an issue. Still an issue wen one starts to consider venturing a little further away from home to get away from the masses however.

The reality is that this is a 50% reduction in rec limits for reasons that have nothing at all to do with conservation. This is 100 % driven by the commercial sector and the result of lobby efforts along with Making sure they are kept in front of rec sector yet again.

They can hide behind the increase in our sectors efforts all they like. It holds no water as long as they refuse to talk about the 300% increase in commercial Licensing and the fact that this is about making sure they get dibs on the public resource.

This is NOT the result of two sectors working together to protect everyone’s interests.

If they cut the others back by 50% as well , then I am on board.

Btw. Best prawning I have ever had this past spring. Also talked to two guys that worked on commercial boats and they had great fishing and huge prawns. Not sure where they worked, pretty sure the one was north of Johnston.

Last edited:
I posted this up on our SFAB Area 17 Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/NanaimoSFAC/, and circulated out by email . Please see the response from the SFAB sent to the DFO regarding potential shellfish management changes for 2019 ( Prawns, Crabs, Oysters and Crabs).

All of the pages are there, and see key points. Pay close attention to the Prawning section.

View attachment 42288
Thanks @SpringVelocity I appreciate you taking the time to post this here, so us no FaceBookers can have a read too. I wish all the minutes of all the working groups were posted on line, with at least links here, on SFBC to their home sites. It would make it easy for everyone to know when new info was released and keep up to speed with what is going on.
Thanks again for all your work

OK-- here is the challenge people. DFO needs to hear from individual anglers, angling organizations etc that this is not just the SFAB speaking ( I am impressed with the tone of this reply to DFO from the SFAB-- its the strongest I have heard in years ). I understand that the BCWF will be replying too-- but how about a blistering letter to DFO from each of the BCWF affiliated clubs ???? So far I know of only one club , Courtenay Fish and Game, that has written a letter to the Minister, the Regional Director General, and Jeff Johansen the DFO shellfish guru that came up with these proposals with no basis in science.

Nanaimo ?Victoria ? Esquimalt Anglers, Port Alberni, Campbell River, etc-- can we please hear from you too. Dont make the mistake to let someone else speak for you.... Numbers count. DFO does plan to implement these restrictions . If we do nothing-- it will happen.

I fully agree all the points that you require to hit DFO with are laid out in the SFAB letter...

I'll dig out some info as to were to send the letters :) or Cuba libra can u ?

Last edited:
I fully agree all the points that you require to hit DFO with are laid out in the SFAB letter...

I'll dig out some info as to were to send the letters :) or Cuba libra can u ?

As you know, its best if the email also has a hard copy following it. I will put up the addys tomorrow Deryk. Cheers
Bryan

Its all available on the SFAC/SFAB thread...:)
Respectfully Derby,
Yes there are current minutes from last years meetings posted there, but this is new (much appreciated by me) and only contains last years meetings. This is the first time I have seen any formal position from the SFAC /SFAB posted anywhere. I have been trying for the last couple of years to get up to speed with what is happening with /to our sport, and it's been really hard to become informed. Yes there is the SFIBC, and now there is an excellent link to the SRKW issue on the main page. But until recently, if you wanted to find what they are working on; you had to (and still do if you want to know about more than SRKW) click on the about us link to find the issues tab. Try googling value of sports fishing in BC. I Get some useful stuff from the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC, a bunch of useless links DFO sites, and nothing from the SFIBC, or the Pacfic Salmon Foundation (where you have to know the name of document you want to search)
So once again I really appreciate that minutes and letters from the SFAC/SFAB are being posted here. I would LOVE for all the other groups to do the same. A midterm report from each group between meeting would be nice too. I don't post this to slag the people who are doing the work and taking the time to go to the meetings. But not everyone can be involved in those ways, and I think that the lack of easy to find information is not helping organize all the different fractions and upset people become more in line with the best interests of everyone

This is the email list of most of those in DFO Pacific who have responsibility for at least some aspects of our recreational shellfish harvesting. If you are sending an email to express your concern about how we are being treated-- please make reference to the SFAB paper. The Minister should receive a snail mail as well as electronic. And importantly, request a reply so they have to respond-- otherwise your letter will most likely get deleted after reaading.

The Honorable Johnathan Wilkinson, Minister of Fisheries and Canadian Coast Guard,

< Min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca >

Minister’s Office

200 Kent Street

Station 15N100

Ottawa, Ontario

K1A 0E6

Rebecca.Reid@dfo-mpo.gc.ca ( Regional Director-General)

Laura.Brown@dfo-mpo.gc.ca ( Director, South Coast)

Colin.Masson@dfo-mpo.gc.ca (Director, North Coast )

Jeff.Johansen@dfo-mpo.gc.ca Regional Shellfish Manager

Andy.Thompson@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Neil.Davis@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Jeff.Grout@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Brad.Breith@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Carole.Eros@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Stephen.Groves@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Juanita.Groves@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

John.Webb@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Respectfully Derby,
Yes there are current minutes from last years meetings posted there, but this is new (much appreciated by me) and only contains last years meetings. This is the first time I have seen any formal position from the SFAC /SFAB posted anywhere. I have been trying for the last couple of years to get up to speed with what is happening with /to our sport, and it's been really hard to become informed. Yes there is the SFIBC, and now there is an excellent link to the SRKW issue on the main page. But until recently, if you wanted to find what they are working on; you had to (and still do if you want to know about more than SRKW) click on the about us link to find the issues tab. Try googling value of sports fishing in BC. I Get some useful stuff from the Freshwater Fisheries Society of BC, a bunch of useless links DFO sites, and nothing from the SFIBC, or the Pacfic Salmon Foundation (where you have to know the name of document you want to search)
So once again I really appreciate that minutes and letters from the SFAC/SFAB are being posted here. I would LOVE for all the other groups to do the same. A midterm report from each group between meeting would be nice too. I don't post this to slag the people who are doing the work and taking the time to go to the meetings. But not everyone can be involved in those ways, and I think that the lack of easy to find information is not helping organize all the different fractions and upset people become more in line with the best interests of everyone

Yup.... I hear..as there is no paid person at this time to do it ..it falls to a few of us to gather it all up and thank u to SFBC to allow us to post what we have up..... We can only post up what is considered public documents .. .. ;):)

Yup.... I hear..as there is no paid person at this time to do it ..it falls to a few of us to gather it all up and thank u to SFBC to allow us to post what we have up..... We can only post up what is considered public documents .. .. ;):)
Thank you and the others for doing this. I would still like to see the minutes from a SVIAC and the SFIBC posted here, how about something from BCWWF or any of the other groups doing good work on our behalf.

SVIAC can request to post up there minutes if they chose... not sure what SFIBC is? and BCWF don't always send minutes to SFAC...when they are available i can forward them... I do recieve up dates from BCWF as a member a couple times a month.. i can forward them to SFBC to post up

This is the email list of most of those in DFO Pacific who have responsibility for at least some aspects of our recreational shellfish harvesting. If you are sending an email to express your concern about how we are being treated-- please make reference to the SFAB paper. The Minister should receive a snail mail as well as electronic. And importantly, request a reply so they have to respond-- otherwise your letter will most likely get deleted after reaading.

The Honorable Johnathan Wilkinson, Minister of Fisheries and Canadian Coast Guard,

< Min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca >

Minister’s Office

200 Kent Street

Station 15N100

Ottawa, Ontario

K1A 0E6

Neil.Davis@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Jeff.Grout@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

John.Webb@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

I have just put this out on our email. Thanks for this. I can't believe how minimal the outrage is on here honestly.

Anyhow we still have very low number of people following our Facebook page and Instagram. Can you guys make sure you are following our pages, and share these accounts with your buddies. Goal is 10k by summer.

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/NanaimoSFAC/
Instagram https://www.instagram.com/sfac_area17

< Min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca >

Minister’s Office

200 Kent Street

Station 15N100

Ottawa, Ontario

K1A 0E6

Neil.Davis@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Jeff.Grout@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

John.Webb@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

I am curious how many on this forum have actually taken a few minutes to write to the DFO contacts above. I would like to think that most have, but I have no way of knowing. But I do know that politicians get very nervous when they get negative letters from the public coming up to an election year. And , if you are a civil servant that has to justify what decisions you are making on resource uses to your boss and the politicians .... you get the picture. So, a big THANK YOU to those here that have taken the few minutes to write/email to the DFO contacts. And if you have been putting it off.. its still not too late to tell DFO that you object to the proposed /restrictions/limit cuts. Your letter just may be the one that makes the difference.

Just sent this to everyone on the DFO list above

Mr. Wilkinson

I am writing to voice my concern about proposed reduction in daily and possession recreational limits for spot prawns on the B.C. coast.

My family has been fishing B.C. coastal waters for four generations and using this resource to put healthy food on our tables is of utmost importance to us.

As far as I can see this 50% reduction in recreational limit is just a handout a commercial sector who is not being asked to make a similar reduction.

A sector that takes the lions share and consistently over fishes the resource to the point that fishing after their season is over is often futile for many months.

I believe your ministry has for years underestimated the cultural and economic importance of the sport fishery to many thousands of British Columbian and I would urge you to reconsider this latest proposal.

To continue to discount the benefit of sport fishing to the citizens and voters of B.C. would be a tragedy.

its the ****** commercial and natives pounding the **** out of this fishery in 23 in early May ,quit blaming the sporties out west !!!
they wipe it clean out before the majority sportys get a kick at it for the peak summer months , once again , complete horseshit
there plentiful before then.... all about money in there pockets.... SFAB better not agree to this,,,,,

fd

Back