Winter fishing yes/no

^^^^ What SV, Derby, Searun, Rockfish and Trophy said.

I'll add that IMO this thread probably gets the top most ludicrous threads I have ever seen so far on this forum.

I got a great idea - How about those that don't like the idea of fishing for Chinook in the winter, just stay home?

It’s not surprising tho, I saw today a post on one of the Facebook fishing web pages where a guy from ECVI was claiming that the Fraser river sport fishery need to be shut down that the Fraser river sport is aloud 4 chinook a day but the guys in the chuck his fishery are only aloud 1.

Then said they should only allow fly fishing only in rivers.

Last edited:
Should not be shut down. Dumb comments that imply that. But too cold for this guy to head out...I’ll go lay on a beach instead :D

On SVI the mature spring and summer chinook are already off limit, now some of you proposing to shut down the winter fishery? Really? And you think this will make any difference?

To close the winter spring fishery on the south island will basically mean the end of recreational salmon fishing there. That would also mean the end of most salmon and stream restoration projects mainly funded through anglers and the Sooke net pen project as well as other net pen projects in the works there. Let's see if that is offset by a few morts in the current fishery!?

One thing can be done to reduce the mort rate and that is proper gear and proper C&R techniques. There is still room for improvement by some. Nothing wrong with a bit of peer pressure when you see poor methods!

On SVI the mature spring and summer chinook are already off limit, now some of you proposing to shut down the winter fishery? Really? And you think this will make any difference?

The winter fishery’s are becoming more popular in areas where summer restrictions are increasing or the fish in the summer arnt there to catch anymore.

Vancouver for chinook is becoming the same winter and spring is becoming more popular as the chinook in the summer just arnt their in numbers anymore.

Last year I did not even fish in June or July it’s pointless now in Vancouver. Just hit the reds in August and the whites in September

They are a symptom of a bigger issue

Last edited:
If concerned about winters, increase size,

Imagine all fishing groups putting fish first. It will only happen when everyone gets together and decides that this is the key to the success of all future harvesting opportunities. Until then if we keep doing it the way that we always have, all we get are the results of what we've always got. Oh well.
Yup - 55 cm minimum size would bring all fisheries (commercial and rec) under that same rule. 45cm means we harvest a lower age class of fish. Little larger and there's a different age group contributing to the fishery. Regardless, the winter fishery creates some good quality fishing - hardly worth tossing that under the bus.

Yup - 55 cm minimum size would bring all fisheries (commercial and rec) under that same rule. 45cm means we harvest a lower age class of fish. Little larger and there's a different age group contributing to the fishery. Regardless, the winter fishery creates some good quality fishing - hardly worth tossing that under the bus.
Not quite, some areas,for instance North of Cadboro pt. already have a 62 cm minimum. I’m told,although I can find no evidence that this was based on Science? Interesting to see though whether or not this is true or if DFO would decrease a minimum size.

Funny how what you get used to with a minimum size.... over here it being 62cm seems such a small fish. My keeper size have been well over that this winter, min. 66cm up to 81 cm so far so substantial fish. Decent numbers in the 45-60 cm range that need releasing. A 55cm min. size limit in our area would certainly make more fish available to keep (if you wanted to) . Obviously with any fishery, releasing fish properly ( and moving if too many unders present) is always an important aspect of our sport and that is our responsibility that we have control over .

Well said, Peahead. There are a few things that we as sport anglers can do to minimize the impact. Using smaller hooks, moving from areas where many unders are hooked, using catch-n-release nets and most importantly, releasing undersized fish without netting, if at all possible.

Some of you are saying that this shouldnt even be discussed, but I couldnt disagree more. I really enjoy the winter fishery and I dont think shutting it down is the answer, but the size limit issue is an interesting debate, and handling undersized fish properly, using appropriate hooks, moving off a school of juveniles, etcetc is absolutely something that anglers should be aware of and informed on. Stifling discussion on things that help the survival rate of these lovely creatures is only going to hurt our fishery. Somewhere out there is a googan who was whaling on jacks one weekend with 60lb test line and 16/0 circle hooks behind his coho killers thinking hes the greatest thing in fishing since downriggers, and maybe he just doesnt know any better.

Some of you are saying that this shouldnt even be discussed, but I couldnt disagree more. I really enjoy the winter fishery and I dont think shutting it down is the answer, but the size limit issue is an interesting debate, and handling undersized fish properly, using appropriate hooks, moving off a school of juveniles, etcetc is absolutely something that anglers should be aware of and informed on. Stifling discussion on things that help the survival rate of these lovely creatures is only going to hurt our fishery. Somewhere out there is a googan who was whaling on jacks one weekend with 60lb test line and 16/0 circle hooks behind his coho killers thinking hes the greatest thing in fishing since downriggers, and maybe he just doesnt know any better.

...... yes, and thank goodness most of us were able to evolve the thread to a discussion of size limits and proper catch and release methods, rather than .......a discussion of choosing to close yet another fishery for no viable reason.

Yes....c and r methods need to be addressed in all our fisheries.
Hammering Thompson jacks is one thing in Aug and Sept, but beating the **** out of winter shakers and not popping them off in the water is another thing.
If it's a hatchery fish make it no size limit...kill your 2 and mandatory stop fishing. Imagine how many fish that would save! Same as our wild coho...sweet you killed 15 wilds to get your limit of hatchery fish, almost as bad as gillnets;)

Last edited:
Yes....c and r methods need to be addressed in all out fisheries.
Hammering Thompson jacks is one thing in Aug and Sept, but beating the **** out of winter shakers and not popping them off in the water is another thing.
If it's a hatchery fish make it no size limit...kill your 2 and mandatory stop fishing. Imagine how many fish that would save! Same as our wild coho...sweet you killed 15 wilds to get your limit of hatchery fish, almost as bad as gillnets;)

What are you talking about? Who kills 15 cohos? I know there are some brick hands and careless ones out there but that is hardly the norm. If I harm 1 in 15 salmon I catch I would be surprised. These kind of wild and unfounded exaggerations in any kind of debate these days is frustrating and don't bode well for your credibility. Think about it!

What are you talking about? Who kills 15 cohos? I know there are some brick hands and careless ones out there but that is hardly the norm. If I harm 1 in 15 salmon I catch I would be surprised. These kind of wild and unfounded exaggerations in any kind of debate these days is frustrating and don't bode well for your credibility. Think about it!

ever been to big bank and watch the hero photo op group net and hold up a netted fish then flop it over the side? sickening, a fishing licence should have some sort of course on proper non-handling regulations and release techniques.

and i fully agree with whitebuck, maybe not the no size limit, but catch 2 coho yer 2 springs and yer done!! it would save more wild coho for sure.

I could care less about my credibility. The guys who have to send back wild coho after wild coho just to get their hatchery fish is pointless. How many wilds die each fall just to get a limit of hatchery fish. Kill your 2..stop fishing end of story.
Are you to short sighted to think outside the box Chris?

ever been to big bank and watch the hero photo op group net and hold up a netted fish then flop it over the side? sickening, a fishing licence should have some sort of course on proper non-handling regulations and release techniques.

and i fully agree with whitebuck, maybe not the no size limit, but catch 2 coho yer 2 springs and yer done!! it would save more wild coho for sure.

Not just on the big bank I've seen lots of floater coho On ECVI in my day certain lodge guides and sporties with poor handling skills.

If I harm 1 in 15 salmon I catch I would be surprised.

Actual scientific research contradicts your belief you are rarely harming released fish. Mortality consists of short term mortality, and delayed mortality. Most studies indicate this combined number of fish that are going to die immediately, and those that die later of non obvious injuries are more in the 15%+ range in undersized fish. In addition recent data has tried to assess the effect of predator concentrations on mortality, and that can increase the rate further. Using treble hooks in studies has been associated with higher mortality as well. So if you catch and release 15 fish, are using single hooks, and handle them properly statistically you are going to have between 2 and 3 of them die. If you are in an area with a lot of seals that number is probably higher or if you are using trebles.

I'm not saying people should or shouldn't go winter fishing, but just don't delude yourself you are causing no or little mortality, and make a decision that takes into account the mortality you are causing. As has been mentioned moving if you are getting a lot of shakers is one strategy, but many people do not do that, and for the most part to get legals you have to wade through unders, particularly early in the year.

^^^^ What SV, Derby, Searun, Rockfish and Trophy said.

I'll add that IMO this thread probably gets the top most ludicrous threads I have ever seen so far on this forum.

I got a great idea - How about those that don't like the idea of fishing for Chinook in the winter, just stay home?
I agree Peahead! I only posted it because people were flooding the Sidney reports with hate for those of us who love fishing year round.

I basically started it sarcastically and here we are 3 pages of bickering later.

This is why I barely ever look at conservation threads.

Last edited:
Back