2019 Nanoose Bay/French Creek Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the weather so nice we took advantage today and got out for the first troll of 2019 and first from the new home base out of French Creek. Launched off around 1130am so missed out on the tide change and ran over to Sangster. Did a tour around the island with no luck, didn’t see much for bait, spent most of the time in the fog so picked up and ran back to the humps. It was glass and sunny but no action, just a nice troll. Kickers shift and throttle cables seems to be seized also which kept us trolling in the main, that was the only real let down as the controls are only 2 years old.

New to fishing the area previously spent most of my time around Powell River in a family shared boat, the water there is pretty protected. I am looking to get a used boat, but don’t know the local water well enough to make an informed decision. For the next couple years I’m looking to go cheap before I start the sales pitch with my wife for a bigger boat. Is a 14-16 foot aluminum with a decent bow good enough for crabbing, prawning and some occasional fishing on an average spring/summer day? Looking at some used boats like a Gregor, Westcoster or Klamath. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also any suggestions for a guide to give me the rundown on local spots between Parksville and Bowser.

Thanks, tight lines.

I’m new to the area as well, fished all over though, base area was Vancouver. Fishing out front of French Creek seems as easy as it can get, can pretty much drop the gear right outside of the marina. I think it would be a good spot for a smaller boat.

I’m new to the area as well, fished all over though, base area was Vancouver. Fishing out front of French Creek seems as easy as it can get, can pretty much drop the gear right outside of the marina. I think it would be a good spot for a smaller boat.
French creek is pretty simple, most of the fishing is right out front of the marina or slightly to the north, an area known as "the humps". It can be a good spot for a smaller boat but the Qualicum winds can come up with little warning. In the summer the evenings are typically calm with the winds coming up in the afternoon.

Watch for the Lasqutie ferry, the wake from it is extreme even from a great distance. Best to check its schedule so you can ready.

Anyone heading out tomorrow, may get out for a little prawning and troll. See if the forecast holds true.

Anybody know if the herring are off French Creek still? Going to head out tomorrow to jig some up

Yep...just follow the big trollers. Seiners closed. Check out fisheries notices for updated commercial tests, helps to give you an idea where the largest spawns are happening.

Yep...just follow the big trollers. Seiners closed. Check out fisheries notices for updated commercial tests, helps to give you an idea where the largest spawns are happening.
Thanks. Boats not ready yet, so going to try off the French Creek breakwater.

Any update on the herring spawn? I tried off the FC breakwater but no sign of herring. The fleet was of Qualicum on Monday but we're far out, not within casting distance.

Spawned all over up at Denman and Hornby last weekend and gillnets took over half their quota and are now hoping it will go off from the Qualicums down. Decent bodies of fish offshore. Wait and see time.

Headed out off schooner tomorrow for salmon, anyone been out there of late?
Went out for the first time this year on the weekend. Spent the afternoon trolling around Ballenas trying all the standby rigs. Caught and released a nice 8-10 lb spring at 85' on the Scotty on a jelly flasher and a green / white hootchie. Big items on the sounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back