New closed killer whale critical areas

Bill C-262 Is going on to it’s third reading in the senate and will probably be passed.

Sports fishermen need to find out a way to get First Nation Consent.

If we actually had control over our licence fees I would suggest a portion go to First Nations.

Like it or not pay for access is comming, fish farms could not stop and and will have to find a way too.

Tell me this...can they stop a fn food fishery in this area? Curious....
We need a 5 yr minimum moratorium on commercial fishing, especially the seiners. I’m sorry but the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. It’s just time, let’s start talking about the 800 lb gorilla in the room. Who owns the majority of the licences who profits the most from it.,it’s time for changes people no more skirting the issue deal with it, name it, it has a name, let’s get it out there

We need a 5 yr minimum moratorium on commercial fishing, especially the seiners. I’m sorry but the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. It’s just time, let’s start talking about the 800 lb gorilla in the room. Who owns the majority of the licences who profits the most from it.,it’s time for changes people no more skirting the issue deal with it, name it, it has a name, let’s get it out there

Why yes, let's discuss just who "profits" the most these days.
Have you seen the allocation numbers for 2019?
If not, let me enlighten you...
Recreational Sector: 50,000 springs.
Area G Troll: 8,000 springs.

Name it? It is YOU. And it has been for a while now...

Best be putting a muzzle on that crap, and listening to the advise being offered by the StormTrooper above.

Really,
Nog

commercial seiners have been restricted from keeping spring,coho and steelhead salmon for over 20 years. With the bunt along side of the boat these fish have been gently put over the corkline using a small net with flat web. I agree with the recent article saying there are too many salmon in the N Pacific esp pinks and chum from salmon ranching in Alaska. Spring and coho taken commercially and sport in Alaska take a huge portion of our S stocks while producing 3 %.

Best be putting a muzzle on that crap, and listening to the advise being offered by the StormTrooper above.

Really,
Nog

I can't see the rec sector holding onto anything close to that the next time the allocation policy gets done. With the recent supreme court ruling on the WCVI, the courts asked DFO to redo the policy.

the priority that rec has had for coho and chinook will end.

So here is the binding dam in the river found in the words and terms of your two sentences - if real and true, then imagine the loss DFO will encounter in every single volunteer program and fundraising project, stream keepers, hatcheries and other that encompass said species. Imagine that impact.

Yeah I wish I could say that that makes a lick of difference to Ottawa but I doubt it. They reward us by cutting SEP year after year, Go on what almost 20 years with no additional funding.

I’m not sure about this but:: is the closure in area 123/9???
That is about 40miles off the surf line.
Not to make light of it but, isn’t that quite a way past most of our sportfishing “hot spots”?
Please correct me if I’ve got this wrong. I’m from Poett Nook and need to let our clients know ! Thanks

Bill C-262 Is going on to it’s third reading in the senate and will probably be passed.

Sports fishermen need to find out a way to get First Nation Consent.

If we actually had control over our licence fees I would suggest a portion go to First Nations.

Like it or not pay for access is comming, fish farms could not stop and and will have to find a way too.

Ive been saying/warning this was coming for yrs to my circle of friends..and still believe, now more than ever, it will come to this in my lifetime,I'm 54
.. we have been paying for access through licence fees, but to the wrong? level of "government?"

Last edited:
I will never pay to that form of government...its 2019. One country one law....equal rights and laws for ALL Canadians!

I'm with ya ...but we already do to the toon of billions of $$ per yr

Back to OP.
Hope none of these areas become closed to all fin sport fishing

Well, in your thoughts and words you are getting exactly that. The FED has recognized the modern Law and Law from a time in our history that the men who helped form this country did so wrongly. The Law has recognized that when this country was formed the land was seized unlawfully and obtained illegally and that actions created in the exploitation of resources have contravened and infringed upon the rights of other existing human beings. Of which, the Kings Law, The Popes Law, the Magna Carta and Maritime Law the Law of discovery were contravened. Then in more modern times Canada was still found by the UN to be breaking Universal Declaration of Human Rights in the case of indigenous peoples of Canada. It is the One Law that you are screaming for that is righting a wrong from the past. Much like when a murderer is caught in this country and tried...it is the One Law in this country that we all abide. It is because we are in 2019 that the One Law is finally being recognized.

Back to the original thread topic. :)

I have to come to learn something over the holidays about this subject. Research Indian trust fund. It will change your views. The government is brutal. It puts all of things we are faced within between our groups into perspective and why things are happening right now the way they are. Anyway back on topic but do some reading. It also puts into perspective of why this prime minister is tryimg to fix the issue.

Really,
Nog

Interesting information, how does this compare to 2018? Is 50K recreational just WCVI?

They have been updating this page,
Date modified:
2018-10-30

http://dfo-mpo.gc.ca/campaign-campagne/protectingwhales-protegerbaleines/srkw-eng.html

Prey availability

We are making more food available for whales to eat.

• In May 2018, we reduced the Chinook fishery in British Columbia by 25-35 per cent to help increase prey availability.
Strait of Juan de Fuca – Full closure: Full closures for recreational finfish and commercial salmon fisheries. Goal: To reduce disturbance from recreational and commercial salmon fishing vessels in key foraging areas, and increase availability of preferred prey.

Gulf Islands – Full closure: Full closures for recreational finfish and commercial salmon fisheries. Goal: To reduce disturbance from recreational and commercial salmon fishing vessels in key foraging areas, and increase availability of preferred prey.

Mouth of the Fraser River – Partial closure: Partial closures to allow recreational and commercial fishers to operate in certain portions of the area at specific times to harvest species other than Chinook salmon. Goal: To increase the availability of preferred prey, and limit disturbance from recreational and commercial fishers while facilitating some fishing opportunities to mitigate economic impacts.

To continue to help increase this important food source, in 2019 we are:

• Examining further reductions of overall levels of Chinook Salmon fisheries for 2019 season, this includes the expansion of fisheries closures in key foraging areas
  • Identifying how to strategically rebuild and protect Chinook stocks
Protection of new habitat
These whales need habitat in which to live. They need space to socialize, feed and raise their young.

• We’ve identified a new area of habitat vitally important to Southern Resident Killer Whales off the Southwestern Coast of Vancouver Island -including Swiftsure and La Pérouse Banks.
  • We are continuing progress on establishing this new area as Critical Habitat and protecting it under a Ministerial Critical Habitat Order through the Species at Risk Act.

Back