Not happy with DFO and the closures.... here’s a way to help get the real info out there.

Thanks everyone for your support. We are about to launch our Thriving Orcas, Thriving Communities Coalition effort. We are hosting a media event next week, November 28th.

In addition to that, we are conducting community outreach meetings to help inform communities about the value of the recreational fishery, facts around SRKW populations and threat pillars, and management measures that are science based and designed to protect southern resident killer whales that we all care deeply about, while also finding responsible science based ways to allow recreational fishing. Fishing that provides significant economic value, jobs, contribution to Canada's GDP.

We visited Port Renfrew yesterday speaking at the Chamber of Commerce meeting, where the community tells us the recreational fishery conservatively contributes annually $16 million in direct economic inputs. No surprise because a report prepared for the Pacific Salmon Commission determined that the recreational salmon fishery alone (not halibut or other species) contributes $713 million USD every year to Canada and 6,150 full time equivalent jobs. That's a lot of families who depend on the recreational fishery.

The same can be said for the commercial and FN fisheries taking place in our waters.

These are values worth protecting. People there in Port Renfrew obviously cared deeply about protecting both our precious southern resident killer whales, salmon and the recreational fishery.

Organizing our effort is being done carefully, and we are taking time to get it right.

Searun where is this meeting

Donated.
Finally some courageous actions from our sector to stand up to DFO's political BS and the media's "whale experts". Thanks to those who are taking time out of their busy schedules to support our common interests.
Let's try to spread the word on the campaign and get the average citizens' eyes on it.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this gofundme link. I donated immediately. Dfo's uninformed decision making needs to be checked. I hope this campaign reaches enough people to make a difference.

Thanks everyone for your support. We are about to launch our Thriving Orcas, Thriving Communities Coalition effort. We are hosting a media event next week, November 28th.

In addition to that, we are conducting community outreach meetings to help inform communities about the value of the recreational fishery, facts around SRKW populations and threat pillars, and management measures that are science based and designed to protect southern resident killer whales that we all care deeply about, while also finding responsible science based ways to allow recreational fishing. Fishing that provides significant economic value, jobs, contribution to Canada's GDP.

We visited Port Renfrew yesterday speaking at the Chamber of Commerce meeting, where the community tells us the recreational fishery conservatively contributes annually $16 million in direct economic inputs. No surprise because a report prepared for the Pacific Salmon Commission determined that the recreational salmon fishery alone (not halibut or other species) contributes $713 million USD every year to Canada and 6,150 full time equivalent jobs. That's a lot of families who depend on the recreational fishery.

The same can be said for the commercial and FN fisheries taking place in our waters.

These are values worth protecting. People there in Port Renfrew obviously cared deeply about protecting both our precious southern resident killer whales, salmon and the recreational fishery.

Organizing our effort is being done carefully, and we are taking time to get it right.

Still doing media event today?? Will we see it on the news tonight?

This initiative has my support, my donation has been made,and have been sharing it with anyone who will listen.

Still doing media event today?? Will we see it on the news tonight?

This initiative has my support, my donation has been made,and have been sharing it with anyone who will listen.
Hi Jen, we are working on getting more partners on board after more chambers that may be effected would like more info and potential to get on board...as well as we need to change one of our messages...stay tuned...thank you for your support!

Hi Jen, we are working on getting more partners on board after more chambers that may be effected would like more info and potential to get on board...as well as we need to change one of our messages...stay tuned...thank you for your support!
Roger that. Have meeting organized with FN's next week, and we have also talked with all the major Commercial fishing associations who have all expressed interest. Slowly building other partners to work with. Hoping to have all the Chambers on board and back on track shortly.

Roger that. Have meeting organized with FN's next week, and we have also talked with all the major Commercial fishing associations who have all expressed interest. Slowly building other partners to work with. Hoping to have all the Chambers on board and back on track shortly.

Whale watchers on board or are they having a pissing match on the 400 m rule

Damn== getting old I guess.. cant remember the email for the RDG for Paacific Region --, anyone ?

One way to make every one happy is have more net pens and run hatcheries to max stop cutting back on them ,you will see the number get up a little bit,things will not happen over night

I see another one is out? https://www.gofundme.com/help-the-bc-orca-whales-fund

What is the difference between the two?
They are the same, someone jumped the gun because we had a glitch in the first account. That glitch is all fixed. Original works just fine.

So far we have constructed a website and launched social media on Facebook and Instagram.

http://orcawhales.org/

https://www.facebook.com/BC-Orca-Whales-1919103328397800

The FB page has been boosted, and so far reached over 200,000

This site comes across as balanced and credible. There was some past information that was focused mainly on seals, but this site provides a much broader perspective and appropriately presents seals as one of the potential issues, not the issue. I think this is a good example of how the sport fisherman perspective can be communicated!

Where are all the guide companies, lodge operators, boat retailers, tackle manufacturers, tackle retailers, etc. etc.

I see some guides on there, both individuals and companies (thank you), but there are some very obvious names that are missing off that list.... and they will be some of the most heavily impacted by any closures.

Don't want to call out anyone or any company by name, but we all know who they are...

Doesn't make any sense not to see some of these entities donating to the cause.

Where are all the guide companies, lodge operators, boat retailers, tackle manufacturers, tackle retailers, etc. etc.

I see some guides on there, both individuals and companies (thank you), but there are some very obvious names that are missing off that list.... and they will be some of the most heavily impacted by any closures.

Don't want to call out anyone or any company by name, but we all know who they are...

Doesn't make any sense not to see some of these entities donating to the cause.

I think a lot of them donated behind the scenes, to create the website's, go fund me page ect...

But not 100% sure on that one

Back