Fish farms in Broughton Archipelago to be phased out by 2023

Alexander Morton has been at the Forefront of wanting to see Fish Farms out of our ocean and moved to close containment. Another individual who's played an important role of advocating towards this is Craig Orr of Watershed Watch. Craig has recently retired. I was part of the 20th anniversary celebrations which they recognized Craig's contributions. Definitely if Craig recognizes this announcement as being positive. I think we all have to feel like we've taken a step forward. We need to continue to advocate for those of us who want closed containment to be something province-wide, and holding our government accountable to this. Today though is a victory and one we should all be celebrating!

https://www.watershed-watch.org/med...ations-from-first-nation-and-b-c-governments/

have talked about this being most likely the prime area for fish farms to be removed for a number of reason, Fish farm density , Smolts go missing their (PSF confirmed) and most importantly 3 First Nations do no want them in their traditional territory.

I think its important to point out that while PSF have confirmed the Broughton is an area where smolts go missing they never confirmed or even had a discussion on why those smolts went missing. Smolts went missing in areas without farms as well, just not as many. There are many factors to be considered.

Alexander Morton has been at the Forefront of wanting to see Fish Farms out of our ocean and moved to close containment. Another individual who's played an important role of advocating towards this is Craig Orr of Watershed Watch. Craig has recently retired. I was part of the 20th anniversary celebrations which they recognized Craig's contributions. Definitely if Craig recognizes this announcement as being positive. I think we all have to feel like we've taken a step forward. We need to continue to advocate for those of us who want closed containment to be something province-wide, and holding our government accountable to this. Today though is a victory and one we should all be celebrating!

https://www.watershed-watch.org/med...ations-from-first-nation-and-b-c-governments/

Ya carful what you wish for as a sport fisher. Sport fishing is not immune to this type of decision making.

Its going to look like this: We the DFO with support from first nations feel that the risk to wild salmon and killer whales from sport fishing is a factor. We cant pinpoint any direct evidence but our feelings are that the precautionary principle should be taken to mitigate the risks which we can not measure and don't have to measure: we only need to hypothesize risk exists. For this reason sport fishing is closed for salmon until we have different feelings.

I would urge individuals to carefully speculate what is really happening here. It is far far away from simply getting rid of 17 farms in a single location. This is what the conversation should be here if its going to truly have a benefit to sport fishing. I just feel that celebrating a victory is very short sighted and fails to acknowledge the whole picture.

I think its important to point out that while PSF have confirmed the Broughton is an area where smolts go missing they never confirmed or even had a discussion on why those smolts went missing. Smolts went missing in areas without farms as well, just not as many. There are many factors to be considered.

Ya carful what you wish for as a sport fisher. Sport fishing is not immune to this type of decision making.

Its going to look like this: We the DFO with support from first nations feel that the risk to wild salmon and killer whales from sport fishing is a factor. We cant pinpoint any direct evidence but our feelings are that the precautionary principle should be taken to mitigate the risks which we can not measure and don't have to measure: we only need to hypothesize risk exists. For this reason sport fishing is closed for salmon until we have different feelings.

I would urge individuals to carefully speculate what is really happening here. It is far far away from simply getting rid of 17 farms in a single location. This is what the conversation should be here if its going to truly have a benefit to sport fishing. I just feel that celebrating a victory is very short sighted and fails to acknowledge the whole picture.
I'm not going to get involved in speculation on what you wish for!

Here's a study that was done by the PSF that shows there is a link between PRV virus and Chinook salmon:

https://www.psf.ca/news-media/prv-virus-may-cause-disease-chinook-salmon

I'm not going to get involved in speculation on what you wish for!

Here's a study that was done by the PSF that shows there is a link between PRV virus and Chinook salmon:

https://www.psf.ca/news-media/prv-virus-may-cause-disease-chinook-salmon

The point I am trying to make is in the title of the link you posted. PRV MAY cause disease....

My point being is if you are willing to shut down one industry, in this case salmon farming in BC, using science which concludes that maybe there is an issue with a certain topic that could cause harm to wild salmon then you are opening up other industries to the same type of regulation which is not based on solid science.

There are two particularly gin clear examples of this in our communities right now. 1, The SRKW issue and how it has been portrayed in the media and the fingers being pointed at sport fishing. 2, The intention to close sport fishing on the skeena next year. Both of these scenarios are train wrecks due to the lack of science supporting the decision making.

more from me later...

Funny how any science funded by an industry is considered by many to be biased favoring that industry. Where does that put PSF if they are largely funded by sportfishing?

Page one story in today's TC
"Fish-farm foes score major victory

Companies agree to shut down operations in Broughton Archipelago within five years"

https://www.timescolonist.com/opini...fish-farm-foes-score-major-victory-1.23538930

Great post. Some of the wording in this further supports the point I am trying to make.

From the article:

"They not only got most or all of the industry to shut down in that region, they got more guarantees of full involvement and recognition of the need for their informed consent on related developments in the future."

"They secured a key role in a monitoring and inspection program that could see First Nations become a powerful regulatory agency"

"Finally, Premier John Horgan presented the salmon farm deal as a “template” for how forestry, mining, natural gas and other resources can be dealt with in First Nations traditional territories."

IMHO those who are celebrating this as a victory are just standing in line to be taken out easily because this is setting a precedence that one group has influence on industry and fisheries that do not have to be secured by science.

Awesome!(sarcasm)

Ill also add that this situation does not exclude first nations in the broughton from putting all those farms back and or even more farms there or other locations. On this line of thinking its a sure thing that first nations will never hand over more fish to the sport fishing sector. Never.

Is anyone here getting what I am putting down here?

Im all for first nations involvement and business development, absolutely however I feel that this is pretty just wow. Hmmmmm.

30 posts in first day Fish Farm News has again been allowed on this site.
Hopefully we will just keep it to the news, science and fair debate and avoid the endless questions, accusations, sarcasm and attacks.
There has been a lot of news and science in the last few months.
Hopefully someone will bring us uptodate.
I totally support Admin's position of suspending any offenders!!

PSF have confirmed the Broughton is an area where smolts go missing they never confirmed or even had a discussion on why those smolts went missing.

They did have a discussion about it....You have to remember that the cohen commission also said they should remove fish farms in this area, It was the prime location to do this for a lot of factors and reason and look at the good press that everyone is getting and fish farms just have to move their production.

Quantifying Survival of Age Two Chilko Lake Sockeye Salmon
during the First 50 Days of Migration

"Several factors could differentially affect early marine survival in the CSOG and NEVI
regions. The NEVI area includes the northern-most 1/5th of the Strait of Georgia, and continues
north to encompass the Discovery Islands, Johnstone Strait, the Broughton Archipelago, and
Queen Charlotte Strait, and it is vastly more complex than the CSOG. The area north of
Johnstone Strait is world-renowned for its rich underwater biodiversity (Britnell 2010), and
offers whale watching and other eco-tourism opportunities (Destination BC 2017). The
Johnstone Strait, however, has little primary production (and thus zooplankton prey) because
wind and currents keep it well mixed to depths well below the photic zone (Thomson 1981;
McKinnell et al. 2014), and this leads to decreased juvenile salmon growth rates (Journey et al.
2018).
Following the 2009 Fraser River sockeye crash, a trophic gauntlet hypothesis was put
forth by McKinnell et al. (2014) which describes the extreme ocean and climate events occurring
in this region and Queen Charlotte Sound that may have led to poor survival of juvenile sockeye
in 2007, two years prior to the adults’ return. Extreme environmental conditions could lead to
either decreased growth and size-based selection by predators as a result, or outright starvation if
continued for long enough. For instance, (Tucker et al. 2016) observed that Cassin’s auklets
preferentially preyed on smaller salmon in poor condition in southern Queen Charlotte Sound,
area directly 610 north of our study site. The SOG, on the other hand, is one of the most
productive inland seas. Nutrient input and spring phytoplankton bloom timing means that there is
an abundant prey resource pool for migrating juvenile salmon (Harrison and Mackas 2014), and
growth rates are higher (Journey et al. 2018). In the Discovery Islands area between the SOG and
Johnstone Strait, there appears to be an abundant food supply in some years (Price et al. 2013),
but not in others (Neville et al. 2016); McKinnell et al. (2014) discuss the potential production
mechanisms associated with this transition zone

Predation by marine mammals, particularly pinnipeds, has gained more attention as more
studies reveal the preferred diets that these animals consume. The harbour seal (Phoca vitulina
richardsi) population in British Columbia,
and particularly the SOG, has rebounded to historic
levels since the species was protected in 1970 (DFO 2009) and there is evidence that they feed
on salmon species of conservation concern, including sockeye (Thomas et al. 2016). ()Even if
juvenile salmon comprise only a small proportion of the total diet, this results in large numbers
of fish (Thomas et al. 2016; Howard et al. 2013; Chasco et al. 2017). As the NEVI region
includes the northern-most area of the SOG, the lower survival we estimated for NEVI could be
partly attributed to fish becoming be more vulnerable to predation as they are concentrated in the
northern SOG and narrower waterways of the Discovery Islands where there are numerous seal
haul outs (DFO 2009; Yurk and Trites 2000)
().
Finally, the NEVI area, unlike the SOG, has numerous open net-pen salmon farms, and has
been fraught with controversy regarding the possible effect on wild salmon (Young and
Matthews 2010). The potential for interaction between wild and farmed salmon was highlighted
in a 2012 federal inquiry into the decline of sockeye salmon (Cohen 2012). The inquiry called on
the Department of Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) to enforce stricter regulations and

recommended prohibiting salmon farms in the Discovery Islands region if DFO cannot
confidently say “the risk of serious harm [to wild salmon] is minimal” (Cohen 2012). For
example, farmed salmon may transmit sea lice to migrating wild salmon, possibly reducing
foraging success and growth rates of wild salmon (Godwin et al. 2015; Godwin et al. 2017).
There are also a host of viral and bacterial pathogens associated with farmed salmon which may
be potentially harmful to wild salmon (Johansen et al. 2011) although the transmission of disease
has been poorly documented. Travel times reported here indicate that juvenile salmon migrate
quickly through this area, but the risk of serious harm is largely unknown, emphasizing the
importance of evaluating the effect of salmon farm exposure times on wild salmon survival."

Thanks WMY. I stand corrected on the discussion portion of my comment. I find is suspicious that the salmon farming companies are very pleased to execute this decision.

Thanks WMY. I stand corrected on the discussion portion of my comment. I find is suspicious that the salmon farming companies are very pleased to execute this decision.

Why would they be happy that they have to pay off first nations now, but they have to realise that is what it takes now...Do you like paying first nations every time you take a flight out of yvr?

Musqueam YVR Agreement
http://www.yvr.ca/en/about-yvr/who-we-are/musqueam-yvr-agreement

Vancouver International Airport and Musqueam Indian Band are located in the same community on land that is Musqueam traditional territory. Musqueam have played an integral role in YVR’s business and operations.

On June 21, 2017, together we signed The Musqueam Indian Band - YVR Airport Sustainability & Friendship Agreement. It’s a 30-year agreement based on friendship and respect to achieve a sustainable and mutually beneficial future for our community.

The agreement includes a number of scholarships and new jobs, one per cent of annual revenue share from YVR, identification and protection of archeological resources and support for ongoing operations and long-term development at the airport.

Your also right this will have huge ramifications for sports fishing, Just look what first nations have declared on the skeena their traditional territory. Will the provence also approve that request?

I'm no fan but I think Horgan has pulled off a huge coup with this as it seems nearly everyone is happy with the decision. I suspect there will be enough FN stepping up to want a piece of this industry that the companies will have no problem finding new sites, probably with government financial assistance.
Times are changing and this will for sure have an impact on future sports fisheries.

image.jpeg Here's an image of the seventeen farms in question with their locations, common names and dates for removal. Three of the four slated to go in 2019 have been dormant for years but it is good to see that Glacier Falls will also be shutting down in 2019 as it is nearest to Bond Sound and the Ahta River which has had extremely poor returns in recent years.
Looks like the Tribune Channel/Fife Sound migration corridor will be free of farms in 2021. Thompson Sound/Knight Inlet corridor will be mostly free in 2022 and Wakeman Sound/Kingcome Inlet corridor in 2023.

I totally agree times are a'changing but not just because of this agreement. Fed and BC commitments to reconciliation and UNDRIP resolution, upcoming MPA's and OPP all mean more FN monitoring, stewardship and guardian initiatives and presence. I don't see this as a bad thing but as added support for DFO C&P work which has been sorely underfunded in recent years. How it all plays out should be interesting.

Looks like the public does not agree with many of you here!
65 % think they should be allowed.

https://www.cheknews.ca/chek-point-...DCuMVXmfYYstDnsUCnEG7-XrRuFX14NBdPaIZTFBB2JJ4

Chek polls are simply vote, clear history, refresh, vote again. Industry has learned this and skews the polls in their favour. You will find it interesting that while the poll shows that majority in in their favour, 99% of the hundreds of comments are against the Farms. I believe that the comments speak very loud as to what the true public opinion is.

The public seems quite happy with the recent announcement regarding salmon farming rockdog. Could be the polls are right and the commentators are a vocal few.

Back