Drunk Fishing Boat Captain Arrested in Port Hardy

Heard on the radio today that over the weekend at a roadblock in Esquimalt they had someone so gooned that he offered the police a hamburger instead of his drivers license. Was so intoxicated he wasn't capable of blowing into the machine. Will be interesting to see if he was served at a licensed establishment.

On another note I have heard that they might start treating boats like motor vehicles as far as alcohol is concerned. I.e no open alcohol on board. Anyone else heard this? Should be interesting for both rec. and charter operators that do overnight trips onboard.
Maybe just a rumour.

On another note I have heard that they might start treating boats like motor vehicles as far as alcohol is concerned. I.e no open alcohol on board. Anyone else heard this? Should be interesting for both rec. and charter operators that do overnight trips onboard.
Maybe just a rumour.

Already not allowed open alchohol on board. Unless the boat has a galley, head, and is at a berth or anchor. This is nothing new.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-quick-quick_visitor-1610.htm#s4

Already not allowed open alchohol on board. Unless the boat has a galley, head, and is at a berth or anchor. This is nothing new.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety/debs-obs-quick-quick_visitor-1610.htm#s4
Yes...they changed the regs as to what pertains to a public place as far as boating and alchohol is concerned in bc, but up to now they have been using a large degree of discretion up to this point. All I am pointing out is I heard there will be zero discretion and there could be some surprised passengers.

Yes...they changed the regs as to what pertains to a public place as far as boating and alchohol is concerned in bc, but up to now they have been using a large degree of discretion up to this point. All I am pointing out is I heard there will be zero discretion and there could be some surprised passengers.
And who’s going to enforce it?? :rolleyes:
IMO, zero discretion can only be done if they can enforce it on all bc coastal and in-land waters.

Yeah, besides which I have read that alcohol is involved in the overwhelming majority of boating accidents, and inexperienced boaters are most at risk.

If most accidents happen while people are drinking and the contributing factor is lack of experience, how am I supposed to get enough experience drunk boating to cope with emergencies if they start enforcing this?

I mean where is the logic

Yeah, besides which I have read that alcohol is involved in the overwhelming majority of boating accidents, and inexperienced boaters are most at risk.

If most accidents happen while people are drinking and the contributing factor is lack of experience, how am I supposed to get enough experience drunk boating to cope with emergencies if they start enforcing this?

I just reposted that on a three other chats lol. Thanks.

lol....
Let’s just hope that they’ll exercise discretion and Darwin’s theory will take care of the rest. :D

Last edited:
Back