Shockey Speaks Out: Yukon Grizzly Attack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any hunt where there is an additional "trophy fee" attached. In the case of grizzly bears, when there were no regulations that would put any expectation of the harvest of usable meat as well, which was the case in B.C. Besides Jackel, the province designated the term "trophy". Done with semantics. Put facts up, or ignore my posts.
********, first off look who is in power your buddies the greens and ndp. Look at the regs again Mr no it all, you have to pack out all meat including neck and rib meat, so the term trophy is mute. So i pay a guide to go elk, deer, caribou hunting that makes all these hunts trophy hunts, time to get off your high horse...speaking of arrogant!!

********, first off look who is in power your buddies the greens and ndp. Look at the regs again Mr no it all, you have to pack out all meat including neck and rib meat, so the term trophy is mute. So i pay a guide to go elk, deer, caribou hunting that makes all these hunts trophy hunts, time to get off your high horse...speaking of arrogant!!
Grizzlies were exempt from meat harvesting regulations. It was Andrew Weaver who did, in 2015 introduce a bill to remove grizzlies from that exempt status, making it a requirement for anyone harvesting a grizzly to also remove all usable meat and taken to the residence of the hunter. Also, making reference to Weaver and Horgan being my buddies is just plain childish. Like I said, come at me with facts or else just move on and ignore what I posted.

E9FA38EB-2641-4433-8A8F-19BEE302AAAA.jpeg Hey
Well if you want to use this incident as the example, the Yukon already has a trophy grizzly hunt. The last grizzly fatality in the Yukon was in 2006. The victim in that case walked too close to a den containing a sow and two cubs. Prior to that, it was 1996.
BC on the other hand saw its last fatal attack in 2005. That was an encounter that involved a sow and two cubs. You then have to go back to 1998, an encounter with a bear feeding on a moose, then back to 1995 when two hunters were killed while field dressing an elk.
These are not overwhelming statistics, given the amount of people that travel into grizzly country or reside in grizzly country. This most recent incident, as unfortunate as it was, still does not warrant any of this "they need to be hunted down and killed to keep them in control" nonsense. Sorry.
That one in 1995 was a coworkers cousin and his hunting partner , grizzly charged them from a nearby treeline while they were field dressing an elk as stated , his partner tried to chamber a round not realizing he had one chambered creating a jam at the worst time possible . Conservation officer said it was a problem bear that had been relocated and released in the area. While the most recent incident is extremely tragic i think Jim Shockey should have waited a little longer to pen his words on this one. I never have seen a grizzly in the wild until this fall when i went on a tour to see the bears in Orford river /Bute inlet on the 2 hour boat ride i had a dicussion with our guide about trophy hunting of grizzly bears, His take was that although a trophy hunt can bring in around 20k to the guide that same bear can fetch him alot more then that in the two month season he takes tourist’s to visit them in their natural habitat. No amount of arguing can bring either of them back from
The tragic ending. Hopefully further education and training for people working traplines in these remote area’s can prevent this type of outcome from happening again but myself i don’t agree with trophy hunting of these bears , conservation and management i am okay with.. just my 2 bits . 4C4F4A0F-B779-48B6-82B8-FD1902F60C35.jpeg

Last edited:
i don’t agree with trophy hunting of these bears , consevation and management i am okay with.. just my 2 bits .
My sentiments exactly. I would have been okay with the province keeping a "meat" hunt in place, providing the meat was not left to rot, and the grizzlies were removed from meat harvest exemption. That didn't happen however. I'm not bothered one way or the other, as I don't hunt grizzlies. Hunting or no hunting of grizzlies won't put me at any less risk of attack in the back country however.

My sentiments exactly. I would have been okay with the province keeping a "meat" hunt in place, providing the meat was not left to rot, and the grizzlies were removed from meat harvest exemption. That didn't happen however. I'm not bothered one way or the other, as I don't hunt grizzlies. Hunting or no hunting of grizzlies won't put me at any less risk of attack in the back country however.
100% I do not hunt grizzlies either but if i am charged by one wouldn't think twice .. sort the paperwork out later , i have no problem with proper management and meat hunting if it were legal.

Its so funny how some people are ok with a "trophy hunt" if you are regulated to take all the meat but if it isnt a requirement they are against it. Just because you are required to take the meat doesnt mean the person will be eating it. I wish everyone would get of this high horse. People are going to do what they want with the meat no matter how its regulated just like in fishing. Why is it that everyone is crying wolf when they put a max size limit on spring salmon when we all know the best table fare salmon are usually under 20lbs. If a hunt is sustainable to a hunting harvest then we should be able to hunt period same goes with fishing.
The grizzle closer in BC was 100% politically motivated. It was well managed with limited entry hunting. It wasnt a full out kill what every grizzly you see or destroy the population because they are the killer bears. No one is talking about a cull or even considering it. We all know hunters and fishermen probably care more for the animals and there sustainability then most green and anti supporters.

I always get a kick out of the Grizzly Bears bring in more money from viewing than hunting. They aren't mutually exclusive...one can and did exist with the other for years and years. In many LEH areas you wouldn't be anywhere near bear viewing areas when hunting anyway. And places like Glendale Cove are closed to hunting. That is just such a complete farce of an argument, I have no time for it. I got my Grizzly in Knight Inlet, extremely popular bear viewing inlet, but got my bear miles from the coast, where majority of bear viewing actually occurs.

I wont get into details of my LEH hunt where 'some ' guy fired 12 gauge shots at, over and near me to scare me from a gbear on the beach.

BC hunters willingly paid for gbear management in the whole province for years, including places hunting was not allowed. Problem now is spineless politicians who tell all dumbed down Canadians he cares, really he wants to keep his stolen job.

All who read at face value the financial reports on bear viewing vs hunting and state this, need to dig deeper, get the facts and look at what is and is not included from both sides. One may be surprised, apples to oranges comparison. Has anyone thought of what environmental damage is occurring from all those people visits in the "great bear rainforest". Normally, historically when a wild animal gets habituated to humans bad things tend to happen to both species. Do some worldly research and look up viewing /photo vs regulated sport hunting worldwide, again you may be amazed. What did the Kenyan Gov just tell its minister to do after so many years of no hunting???? What are the wildlife population numbers in any country that viewing/photography manages, compared to when regulated hunting is responsible for its welfare. Look up real facts for any country? Undisputable evidence worldwide, best way to in todays world to maintain wildlife is to have regulated sport hunting. Ask CITES. Me and my fellow hunters will gladly pay large sums of $$$$$ to keep all species numbers high so I can harvest 1. Benefitting the whole ecosystem. What did the bear watching spokesman ask the BC gov on the news the same day the closure was announced??? Amazing. Answer -Money for management of the Gbears.

But the bleeding hearts who eat a caged, hormone filled, force fed cow willingly whine because I choose to hunt, then dictate to me how to utilize the animal, based on their poor emotions. What a world we have made. Sadly disgusting.

HM

Yea nature is lucky to have us regulate them can you imagine how worse off they would be if humans didn’t exist? The horror.

But the bleeding hearts who eat a caged, hormone filled, force fed cow willingly whine because I choose to hunt, then dictate to me how to utilize the animal, based on their poor emotions. What a world we have made. Sadly disgusting.

Maybe part of that problem is their is not enough wild meat on the commercial market for everyone to enjoy?

Market hunting to feed the population we have now? That’s a crazy idea, look at the history of market hunting.

absolutely, Perhaps hunters need to remember then what a privilege they have then afforded to them. Shouldn't judge people that don't eat wild meat or don't have access to it. I'll take a nice wild deer roast over a beef one any day.

I never said anything about market hunting. That is a sure failure, again look at history. What I would like stopped is the emotional crazies pushing their invalidated beliefs on others, namely the most conservation minded people out there=hunters. I see Carmanah is in the leave it alone to look after itself world.... That works in todays world. As I stated before every species should be managed to its fullest carrying capacity and utilized.

HM

This debate just resolves itself into a pissing match on here over and over every time it’s rehashed. No one on either side is interested in being objective or even listens.

This thread should at least be moved to the politics ethics and conservation section where it belongs.

That is where most people go when the come on here and want to spin there tires, argue or read stuff that is depressing.

After reading through this thread there are 2 camps: One group feels entitled to hunt and fish, while the other group feels privileged - that's me. Wild animals are a public resource that are to be managed for conservation and general public benefit. Most of B.C.'s population does not hunt or fish. Therefore rather than complain about lack of hunting or fishing "opportunities" I count my blessings for what we still have. I have lobbied our politicians to maintain what we currently have, especially in coastal communities.

The entitled group is stirring the general public majority up about iconic species like orcas and grizzlies in particular and the "sportsman's rights". That is just dumb. They lost by the stroke of a pen in BC and they can lose in the Yukon, too. And yes, I have seen grizzlies in the wild, in the Yukon. It was a privilege.

What a dumb post. No one is saying they’re entitled... learn to read. It’s about the science and economic benefit in my opinion. Your post implied that there aren’t enough grizzlies to hunt and those that call for a hunt don’t respect the resource. Nothing could be further from the truth.

What a dumb post. No one is saying they’re entitled... learn to read. It’s about the science and economic benefit in my opinion. Your post implied that there aren’t enough grizzlies to hunt and those that call for a hunt don’t respect the resource. Nothing could be further from the truth.
"Wildlife managers are working to reduce the harvest of female grizzly bears and the number of bears that are destroyed in human-wildlife conflicts each year. The reproductive rate of the species is so low that the loss of a few female bears can have a significant impact on a population." From the Yukon Environment website.

This does not sound like a robust population that can tolerate hunting well. The precautionary principle would suggest they be left alone.

"Wildlife managers are working to reduce the harvest of female grizzly bears and the number of bears that are destroyed in human-wildlife conflicts each year. The reproductive rate of the species is so low that the loss of a few female bears can have a significant impact on a population." From the Yukon Environment website.

This does not sound like a robust population that can tolerate hunting well. The precautionary principle would suggest they be left alone.
Ok. Hold my beer. I’ll post the bc government study that said harvest rates could be doubled sustainably. That’s actual numbers. Not female bears which aren’t harvested via LEH.

Ok. Hold my beer. I’ll post the bc government study that said harvest rates could be doubled sustainably. That’s actual numbers. Not female bears which aren’t harvested via LEH.
Hey SG, don't argue with an idiot it brings you down to their level

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back