Skagit Orca 22 - questions..

macro

Looking at an orca 22 for sale. Does anyone have any experence with them, or have any suggestions on what to look for? The foam on this one is waterlogged and will need to be removed. Any idea how hard the flotation is to access?

Any sugestions on what to look for on a fibreglass hull in general? I've only owned aluminum so am a little out of my comfort zone.

Any idea how they are for fuel economy?

cheers,

Get a surveyor...
The last boat I bought, I looked at, figured out the problems, then I flipped it, stripped it, and completely rebuilt it. I also got it for a song because I was able to show the owner all the problems... But it was alloy. I'm just looking for experience from others.

Skagit Orca’s have no wood and pressure inject the closed cell polyurethane foam which does not absorb water. So what makes you think it’s waterlogged?

The seller has disclosed that the flotation foam needs to be replaced.

Closed cell injected foam does break down unfortunately.

It's something I don't like in a lot of boat builds. I'd rather cut and placed foam blocks in airtight chambers. They stay dry and light, and in the event of hull puncture you still float home.

The seller has disclosed that the flotation foam needs to be replaced.

Closed cell injected foam does break down unfortunately.

It's something I don't like in a lot of boat builds. I'd rather cut and placed foam blocks in airtight chambers. They stay dry and light, and in the event of hull puncture you still float home.
Did you buy that skagit? Seemed like a screeming deal for $7500

No, thought hard about it, I can afford it, but I I can't afford the fuel to run it!

Comox craigslist or it was at least

Pretty sure it was a scam. I reached out to the seller right after it was posted and never heard back. Something seemed fishy about the ad.

It wasn't a scam...
It was an old dive boat from the fish farm industry..
And yes its been sold
Right on.....I stand corrected. I guess I was just too slow and missed out. It sure sold quickly. Should be an interesting project for someone.

Last edited:
Great score is right. Good on you. I'm jealous. I would have paid that just for the motor and trailer. I'm curious how you will make out with the flotation. Beauty boat.

FWIW: the Orca plant in Fairview got so many complaints about that foam that they've stopped injecting their new boats with it, or have significantly backed off on the amount they used to use. When I got my 24 footer, water had intruded into the bow foam through a hairline crack in the anchor locker....I scooped it out and don't stay up at night worrying about replacing it.....foam is a nuisance and it WILL take up water or degrade from water.

Last edited:
Back