something a little lighter for a change

Jencourt

It seems that as of late much of our relationship with fishing is becoming more and more about preserving the ability to continue fishing and less about, the fishing.

That said, I have spent the last week focusing on all the positive things I take from fishing. In doing so I found myself at the keyboard writing my thoughts and memories. To my surprise doing so washed me of much of the negativity that I could not see past.
I hope sharing my little story with you all will, if nothing else entertained you. Maybe it will spur a memory or two that you have not taken time to enjoy lately. Possibly you will find familiarity in some of my tales and find yourself reflecting upon what being able to fish means to you. At worst I hope it puts a smile on your face and maybe even spark a desire to get out there again. Or maybe you don’t fish at all, but will walk away wanting to try it. If not, then maybe you take from this, a greater understanding of how important it is to so many of us. I am grateful for every opportunity I have to fish. It has always brought “good” into my life; therefore I am hopeful that future generations will have those same opportunities.

I attached as a pdf I hope it works?? Let me know if it does not.

Attachments

• What Value Does Sport Fishing Have.pdf
    428.2 KB · Views: 263
Nice work Ray...I enjoyed your thoughtful words. I am sure that if more people worked their energy in a similar direction as you have taken, for certain things would be much brighter. :)
Nice work Ray...I enjoyed your thoughtful words. I am sure that if more people worked their energy in a similar direction as you have taken, for certain things would be much brighter. :)

Thanks for taking the time to read it. I am glad you enjoyed the read. was not sure if the pdf would work. I guess it did. It is a little long at 7 pages LOL

Good stuff man. Stories like this make me appreciate my own wife and our shared love of not only fishing but just being on the salt. I never grew up on the water and certainly never ocean fished with my dad but even the crappy tire rod with a chunk of bread fishing for a smile during our one week a year in Osoyoos was enough to get me hooked. Thanks for sharing.

A great read and it has inspired some fond memories of my own path to sport fishing. Thank you

I can’t seem to open the link. Tried two days in a row. Am I the only one. Says download failed.

What a great write up, you are an excellent story teller.
Your story of fishing MCDougle creek almost exactly mirrors mine Fishing Storrie creek at Storries beach. My father is a non fisherman but likes to boat. He could never figure out my fascination catching small minnows from under an eroded creek bank, or dangling a line in almost any body of water to see what was there. Also like you I get a deep sense of calm and satisfaction from being near or even better on the ocean.
I wonder how many others have spent their childhood lost on a creek bank, or find peace in the ocean?

I can’t seem to open the link. Tried two days in a row. Am I the only one. Says download failed.
Couldn't do it on my phone but worked on my laptop

I will try it on the computer. I was on my tablet and it wouldn’t open. Tried again now but alas, same message.

Oly

Computer worked. That was an awesome read, thank you for that. As some have already eluded to, your story mirrors some of us almost to a tee. I also started out fishing, just south of you in the Okanagan and about the same time started to fish Okanagan lake for the rainbows, catching and loosing some monsters. We (family) have come to the same conclusion and have sold the house and are in the process of moving to the Island. Maybe catch up with you sometime and BS as we are there (Comox) often with family that live there. Again very well told life story. Wish I could hit the like button more than once.

Oly

Really nice story. Thanks for posting it.
Living in PR since the 80's I know all those local spots & visit most of them regularly.
Ive been down with back problem since late September & your story has me ITCHING to get back out there.
See ya on the water soon!
(I opened the file on iBooks. Worked fine)

Back