Cutwater sinking at dock

Let me just start off with ****** deal, I feel bad for anyone that gets hit with a nightmare scenario like this... BUT! This guy sounded like a nightmare from day one. I've experienced clients like this. They just expect things to go wrong and think they can micro manage their way out of issues. The problem is though that, in my experience, bad **** just follows these kind of people around. Maybe it's a lifetime of bad luck that made them that way? Maybe it's karma for not trusting in anyone? Who knows. But 100%, ****** clients ALWAYS have ****** **** happen to them. I've learned to avoid clients when I get that spidey sense about them.

And f*** man who doesn't get insurance. Come on.

I don't think a company that builds a good boat and stands behind it will find any ****** clients. But if you're the kind of company to build ****** boats then you will probably run into some "****** customers" .

What should those of us who are particular and specific do when buying a boat? Go with thoughts and prayers? :)

I don't think a company that builds a good boat and stands behind it will find any ****** clients. But if you're the kind of company to build ****** boats then you will probably run into some "****** customers" .

What should those of us who are particular and specific do when buying a boat? Go with thoughts and prayers? :)
I have no idea. Like I said the guy wasn't wrong. The whole web site thing and his emails just gave me a ****** vibe. I deal with clients spending hundreds of thousands, even millions on their homes. And I honestly believe a postive attitude, trust in the people doing the work and a good vibe on the jobsite ends up producing a better end product. This is just my personal experience I'm taking about here. I just shouldn't have said anything at all.

Great story. Poor guy. The end.

I have no idea. Like I said the guy wasn't wrong. The whole web site thing and his emails just gave me a ****** vibe. I deal with clients spending hundreds of thousands, even millions on their homes. And I honestly believe a postive attitude, trust in the people doing the work and a good vibe on the jobsite ends up producing a better end product. This is just my personal experience I'm taking about here. I just shouldn't have said anything at all.

Great story. Poor guy. The end.

I know what you meant RC, I have a friend that works as a salesman for a custom window company that make windows for multi million dollar construction projects down in the USA. They have numerous clients like this guy, you can tell what time of client he is in how he words his emails. Anyways despite my budy telling them about the limitation of the windows these guys always push the boundaries and limitations of the windows and are always happy to get their lawyers involved.

Anyways this guy did the royal shaft

I can’t believe that anyone would think that this poor guy is remotely responsible for this disaster! If even half of what he has said about that dealership is correct I would stay as far away from them as possible. Looks to me like they wanted to get the order and deposit then leave the guy hanging. With all the accessories he added and the boat that they started with it should have been “All hands on deck” till it was perfect! I agree there was some Quality issues but this looks to me like an engineering issue. Who decided what size that bilge pump should have been and how to wire it into the boat, who decided how the cables and hoses were to be routed into the hull, who engineered the mounting system they attached to the hull, who decided that the two 300hp engines were at the weight capacity? this is as much the engineer as the builder’s problem. They should reimburse him for the boat and let him go his way or just build him a new one with proper engineering. Yes I agree that insurance should have been purchased before it left the dock, that would have left them to deal with the bull s&*^ that they are giving him. I have made two boat purchases in my 62 years and I can say that both dealerships treated me extremely well, first a Sea Ray at Hunters in Edmonton in 86 and a Hydra Sports in 07 form Precision Power Sports in Sarnia, that was a 3 day drive one way, we got there, locked on the ball and haven’t looked back.

Very luck it didn’t go down when he was with his family in rough water, we may not have gotten the chance to read this sad story. Neither bad luck or **** happens applies to this guy, it’s all on the manufacturer and dealership’s shoulders period!.

I can’t believe that anyone would think that this poor guy is remotely responsible for this disaster!

That's not what RC was saying but clearly most read it as that.

hey should reimburse him for the boat and let him go his way or just build him a new one with proper engineering.

All theory's that still need to be tested...

upload_2018-11-29_14-35-22.png

Some prople can afford to forego insurance and effectively self-insure. Perhaps that is the case here. Didn't really think much of cutwaters before, and this really seals the deal...

I think you would need insurance to finance. If you can afford to pay cash, you can probably afford to litigate.

How many red flags do you need? I would have left it on the dock in Victoria with a big sign that said Lemon and told the Boathouse to come and get it. Could not imagine taking my family on a trip to Alaska in what was clearly a P.O.S.. I second what Raincity said about the customer. Just had one just like him, and yes bad **** follows him around like flies. All the stars aligned on this one. Glad no one was hurt. That could have been a whole different story....

The guy seems "interesting". I feel like the stuff on the website is very one-sided too. Not to say that there aren't problems with the boat....there are....but it seems naive to buy a brand new boat and on the day of possession you start a months-long family trip around part of the west coast of Vancouver Island and all the way up to Skagway Alaska!

Has anybody else googled his name? Andre Gutenberg

Looks like he owns Atlin Heliskiing.
https://www.atlinhelisports.com/team
andre-gutenberg.jpg

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nort...n-heli-ski-operation-to-close-early-1.3524232

And his lake-front property is or was for sale:
https://canada-realty.com/index.php/property/100/en/lake_front_property_open_for_any_use

I think he should also be suing Chris Janson for writing the country song "Buy me a Boat" and forgetting to mention to "put some insurance on it"

At least he still has his "yeti 110 iced down with some silver bullets"

"Money can't buy everything" - like a brain.

Last year at my marina there was a new 26 ranger tug moored there. Talked to the guy alot and he had nothing but negative things to say about his new $250k boat and port boat house. Said there were constant issues popping up with things not working or needing to be replaced, on his brand new boat. Said it was next to impossible to get any kind of action from pbh unless he pulled the boat out of the water and went and dropped it off at pbh. I wouldnt touch one of these cutwaters or ranger tugs with a 10' pole.

I bought a new boat from port boat house (P.A.) and was truly disappointed with the QC of the boat (Ranger Tug - same company that builds the Cutwater) and with the sales guy. Would never go back there except to maybe leave a skid mark on their bathroom towels.

I was just at the Victoria Boat show and looking at one of those Ranger tugs being sold by Port. Some low quality rigging on a 150k boat. Some of the fasteners were Phillips (star) and others were Robertson (square) I mean at least pick a style and stick with it! When the salesman saw me looking at the details he just walked away and never said another word.

Interestingly the cutwater302 website appears to be down so hopefully somebody stepped up and bought that boat back!

Back