dhfishtales, thank you for your support and for putting out a challenge to the local anglers to do the same. Tickets are available at Sherwood Marine Centre (cash only) or through myself or Glen Varney who lives out in Sooke.

Out for the weak flood west of Sooke, fished ~11am-3pm in the sun. Put the gear down and hadn't even shut off the motor when one of the rods gets hit. My buddy's rod is bent over and he struggles with the fish as it returns to the bottom a couple times so I'm guessing it is too large and has to be thrown back. But no, it was legal...a legal long nose skate. A couple dogfish throughout the rest of the day and that was it. Not even the juvenile black cod I'd heard about. East wind and flood current wasn't ideal.

dhfishtales, thank you for your support and for putting out a challenge to the local anglers to do the same. Tickets are available at Sherwood Marine Centre (cash only) or through myself or Glen Varney who lives out in Sooke.
Hey Profisher, how many tickets do you have left? I'm putting a challenge out to all fishers that ply Sooke waters to buy some tickets!

I’m going this week again to get more for out of towners. Anybody want to add to my list?

Spoiler about 225 left so about half of the possible money from the sport fishing community left to raise for the net pen. $10,000.00 if we sell all 500 tickets. 500 tickets is a small number of tickets for a raffle like this and gives everyone good odds.

Fished out of Pedder today. Released a couple of small springs. Drifted for Hali’s off of Williams Head,,,nothing but dogfish. Beauty of a day on the water.

I drove all the way to Shearwater to purchase $200 worth of raffle tix to support the new hatchery net pen production in Sooke so I challenge all Sooke fishing people to match $100 worth of tix. Please post if they are available elsewhere

I did that yesterday. Bought $100 worth. Let’s get everyone to make it happen!

Sherwood has about 75 tickets left and I have 47 at home and Glen Varney still has some. I figure close to 300 sold with another 200 to go which is $4000.00 more for the 2019 net pen.

No it started with the generous sponsors of the Oak Bay Marine Group Juan De Fuca Fishing Tournament who wanted me to find another way to use their prizes to raise funds. Without them it never would have happened.

You can take a bow...you helped sell a few tickets!!

You can take a bow...you helped sell a few tickets!!
Still working on it. I’ll go as often as requested. Albertans?
Washington Staters? For you Yankees, it’s practically free with the exchange rate! Please Keep me going back...I always end up buying stuff for my boat when I go there too :D

Tell me about it...I was there servicing their fire extinguishers and emergency lights (and to pick up ticket cash) and noticed a 2006 9;9 parts motor on the rack in the shop. It was labeled parts motor with a dropped valve. It was super clean not a scatch and I have a brand new complete powerhead...so asked if $1000 would buy it....today I finished swapping the powerheads and now have a primo 0 hour spare kicker. I have another one that will go up for sale soon as I don't need 3 of them.

Not much for reports anywhere lately so thought I'd chime in. The weather has been spotty but there's still been some nice days out there. East Sooke has been good for winters. Lots of feed around. Scooped a 12lb for the crew the other day. Nice size for November.

Out for 4 hours yesterday and ended up hitting 2 fish about 8 pounds each, landing one. Lots of unders released. I have never seen such aggressive seagull before...the smaller brown ones. The bastards followed me for the entire 4 hours...every time a rod was touched they flew right up to the back of the boat. Any attempt to check a bait roll or float a line back that had bait on it was useless. I HAD to switch to spoons to be able to fish. I have often had them bug me for a few minutes and then they bugger off. I have never had them follow me the entire time.

Was tempted to let one of them get hooked and then sink the downrigger to have it check out what depth the fish were at for me.

Was tempted to let one of them get hooked and then sink the downrigger to have it check out what depth the fish were at for me.
I hooked one in Port Renferw once. He/ She took my chovie just as it was dropping below the surface. Same as you, the bugger had been following us and getting more daring with each bait change. I reeled it in grabbed it by the neck, removed the hook, while yelling the whole time, gave it several dunks under water and set it free. I don't know if it ever stole bait again, but it did not tell it's friends that's for sure

Had the same thing on a friends boat, gull grabbed his bait, but got the hook stuck in him. We both started to laugh about it, then it popped off the clip and started to fly away like a kite. We both are laughing are asses off, reel this silliness in and buddy grabs it and tries to unhook it and the thing is going crazy and it's pecking at him and the hook goes in to the back of his hand. Well now its not quite as funny, well not for my buddy anyway. Lol. Long story short took a while to get them both unhooked and they where both a bit worse for wear.

Back