Smoker recommendations

Are you looking for smoking only or do you want to versatility to grill at higher temps also?

The Cookshack PG500 might be a little over your budget, but it does both incredibly well.

Are you looking for smoking only or do you want to versatility to grill at higher temps also?

The Cookshack PG500 might be a little over your budget, but it does both incredibly well.
That's one fine looking unit, but way over my budget for now.
I blew 3 years worth of "fun money" on a new outboard this spring. It'll be a while building the fund back up.
Thanks for the post, though. The only pellet grill/smoker I've seen is the Traeger. I like the more utilititarian feel of this one.

My little chief burns all the chips and I mound it up and the pan gets so hot there is no way u can touch it ,lots and lots of smoke once it get going .. had the smoker for years like I said and only problem had to buy two new pans so far ...weird
I smoke all winter and it still burns up the chips , what kind of chips u using ???
I only use little chief chips ,the others are like chunks of logs and never did work well
Same ..gets hot and burns all the wood chips if i left it, i have a process of burn half then reload, read up somewhere it's important
for the first 4-5hrs is having smoke while the fish is raw, that's why i don't let it burn all the way for the first pan.

I use the army and navy wood chips not chunks or dust, it smokes pretty good for the first 2-3 hours.

In the end most smokers work .... The most important part is how you handle the fish and process,
some guys use a wooden shacks and put out the greatest product no electronics.

-do you dry your fish out creating a pellicle
-do you bring your fish up to room temperature before putting it in the smoker or all the fats will come squeezing out
-move the racks around to all cook at the same time or remove the cooked ones so it doesnt dry out

Last edited:
Well, huh! Now I'm all confused again ;-)
I think I'll order a new element for my buddy's rig & keep it here. He offered it to me 'cause he doesn't use it anymore.
Save myself a few bucks!
I'm gonna win the Bradley in the net pen raffle anyway.
Before you buy the element turn it on put a thermometer inside the smoker and see if it gets up to 165 F chiefs run a constant 165f might be lower
on cold days

People think we just light a fire , throw some chips in a pan, throw some fish on and wait ........... hahahaha , Kinda haha
But , its the years of experience and handed down secrets that make it taste unique !
Keep it up you'll get your own unique taste ..... enjoy the experience , its well worth it !!!

Lots of great advice here! Thanks to all who took the time.
And... Yes, I set up a couple of fans blowing over the pieces after brining. It took a few hours to get a sticky, shiny finish before I put them in the smoker. Everything was at room temp.
Both batches came out really nicely this spring. I was very pleased with the results, especially considering it was our first try.

yes its called pemicle (sp) and its a important step into smoking salmon best thing I can say to you is go slow if you see little white spots coming out of fish your doing it as little to hot , its the fat seeping out not a big deal just a FYI tastes just as good .
when you want to get into meats and stuff let me know and come by and check out my new smoker/shop i built

good luck wolf

Back