Proposal By DFO - Changes To Recreational Crabbing

Sounds great! But again it will have to be enforced.....

Mike

When DFO says you cannot 'set' or 'haul' except within their specified daylight times, does that mean you can leave them overnight you just can't be out there in the dusk/night time setting and hauling?

Seems like they are wanting to stop illegal poaching which probably happens in the dark, but does not sound like they are against an overnight set-and-leave-it trap the way I read it.

Anyone know if an overnight soak will be ok?

I hope they do restrict overnight soaks for all recreational crab and prawn traps. That would be a great step in the right direction.

Does this mean my traps are now going to be thrown in the garbage because they don’t have 100mm escape rings?

Most rec traps that you buy already come with one escape ring in place,
sounds like next year we might need two ?

I hope they do restrict overnight soaks for all recreational crab and prawn traps. That would be a great step in the right direction.

wow...no overnight soaks for recreational crabbers or prawners as of April 1.
Right or am I misreading this????
It appears Commercial crabbers can still do overnight soaks.
Lots of rec guys leave their traps in the water sometimes for a few days between fishing trips, often with no bait.
Does DFO really plan to seize these traps, often side by side with commercials?
Me think there will be a lot of people pissed off.
What with all the salmon and halibut restrictions.....Just another kick in the butt for Sportfishers.
And oh yes, DFO recommend you do not engage in conversation with those who you observe keeping illegal crabs either thru ignorance or mostly thru a disregard for the regulations.
Is it any wonder DFO is so poorly respected by so many!

I read it to allow overnight soaks but like the current commercial prawn fishery you can only haul or set your gear during a window of time within daylight hours.

Pretty sure you can't leave traps in the harbor overnight for safety reasons.

Does this mean my traps are now going to be thrown in the garbage because they don’t have 100mm escape rings?
Just means you will now tell DFO that you are shrimping and not crabbing. :)

How exactly is one supposed to catch a 115mm legal crab with two 105mm escape rings in the trap??

How exactly is one supposed to catch a 115mm legal crab with two 105mm escape rings in the trap??
If there's lot's of bait they'll stick around. The escape holes are for when your buoy gets cut off by a commi and the trap sits down there for a year and once the crab have all eaten each other the last one can eventually find its way out through the top of the trap. Allegedly.

your suppose to have rot cord on your traps so they open up are a set time...not sure how long that takes..interested if someone knows?

Back