They're gonna industrialise Barclay Sound!

I see they are hooked up with Steelhead who tried to build a plant in the Saanich Inlet. Something not quite right about these guys?

We can't keep saying no to everything. A lot of jobs will be created if that one goes through, and alberni will boom. So it is a trade off.

We do have to say no to massive new fossil fuel developments. In case you hadn't noticed California has just had two huge record fires; it's largest (in area) ever recorded in the summer and the most destructive one ever with a town of 27,000 gone and 60 or more dead. This coming after BC has had two record fires seasons in a row!
Meanwhile the Arctic and Siberia are experienced constant new records. One reading from Greenland in February this year was 45F above normal! We had many other record temperatures set all over BC, Eastern Canada in June with 80 deaths attributed to the heat in Montreal, Britain (34C in Motherwell, Scotland of all places!) and all over the world.

Jobs mean nothing set against these events, as all these jobs do is ensure we leave an unlivable planet to everyone's grandchildren, including their own!

Meanwhile jobs exist in their thousands in alternative energy technologies and energy efficiency building retrofitting. If we have to industrialise Barclay Sound then let's do it with wind and wave power. We have a choice; a legacy of death and destruction or hope and a new direction.

I think the general Idea is to supply the Asian market with natural gas to get them off coal while we wait for cleaner energy to take over.

At lest that is the propaganda, I have no idea what to believe any more

We do have to say no to massive new fossil fuel developments. In case you hadn't noticed California has just had two huge record fires; it's largest (in area) ever recorded in the summer and the most destructive one ever with a town of 27,000 gone and 60 or more dead. This coming after BC has had two record fires seasons in a row!
Meanwhile the Arctic and Siberia are experienced constant new records. One reading from Greenland in February this year was 45F above normal! We had many other record temperatures set all over BC, Eastern Canada in June with 80 deaths attributed to the heat in Montreal, Britain (34C in Motherwell, Scotland of all places!) and all over the world.

Jobs mean nothing set against these events, as all these jobs do is ensure we leave an unlivable planet to everyone's grandchildren, including their own!

Meanwhile jobs exist in their thousands in alternative energy technologies and energy efficiency building retrofitting. If we have to industrialise Barclay Sound then let's do it with wind and wave power. We have a choice; a legacy of death and destruction or hope and a new direction.

The more the world can transition from coal to NG the better off we will all be. We need to be realistic about this & have a viable source that can replace coal. Technology will continue to advance & one day NG will not be needed, but it has to be a transition. NG is the cleanest source of energy that can be used & BC is sitting on a massive source of it. Would you rater China get NG from the middle east where they have no regulations? This needs to be embraced as a step in the right direction..

The more the world can transition from coal to NG the better off we will all be. We need to be realistic about this & have a viable source that can replace coal. Technology will continue to advance & one day NG will not be needed, but it has to be a transition. NG is the cleanest source of energy that can be used & BC is sitting on a massive source of it. Would you rater China get NG from the middle east where they have no regulations? This needs to be embraced as a step in the right direction..

This whole notion that gas is a bridge or transition fuel and can get us to a more "clean" environment, whatever that means, is an over simplification. While it is true that a modern, newly constructed gas fired power plant will produce 50% less CO2 than an older coal fired plant, it will still produce millions of tons of CO2. The latest IPCC report says we have to de-carbonise our economy by 45% by 2030 and completely by 2050. Yet the biggest and scariest part of the whole LNG myth is the methane losses associated with fracking, transport and liquifaction. Methane is 80 times worse than CO2 as a green house gas. LNG is a bridge to nowhere.

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/07/21/3-natural-gas-climate-myths/

This one is a bit of a travesty.

Some here will recall the enormous efforts that went in to rebuilding the Sarita River.
One hell of a lot of that was tax dollars (we are talking millions) to rebuild the habitat destroyed by decades of barbaric logging practices.
At the time, the local FN's made a hell of a pitch, put their own coin in, and trained their young on how to work habitat and fish properly.
They also put out a very great 2 part flick titled The Heart Of The People:

Due to these massive efforts, fish populations rebounded, and once again the Sarita was back on the map as a producer.

Hand in hand with the development noted above is an in-river power generation project.
That has been designed to take the Falls completely out to establish the generation facility.
Work is well underway.
And the road to support that runs immediately alongside the river for a considerable distance.
As does the massive clear cuts (yes, right to waterline) both well above and below the project site.
Already major siltation has been documented, and that will only get worse.

So, in this case the "Heart of The People" obviously is not focused on what those videos p[resent.
Rather on money. Or greed per-see.

Jobs. Sure. At what effing cost.
The Sarita will soon be as barren as she was before we poured so damn much energy, and so much public money at her in the efforts to rebuild.

And that, at least to me, is a rather shameful tragedy...

Nog

Latest conspiracy theory?!

The American education system is in deeper trouble then I thought. Monetizing nonsense proves that some know this and sure can make a good buck off it.

Anyone know what the death toll from the latest fire is that this video wants to capitalize on?

Last edited:
Some days yah just want to scream lol.

There has to be a balance. Some people enjoy hospitals, roads, sewers and treatment plants - where will the money for these things come if we kill every job producing development. We can protect the environment, and allow responsible development that generates jobs. Without projects such as this there will be no economy.

I'm all in favour of responsible, science based economic development that accomplishes that balance between the environment and our economy.

It is not realistic to stop everything. It is realistic to influence wise choices around how we implement these developments.

Also, when was the last time anyone here on this forum hopped into a carbon burning car, or heated your house with Nat Gas, or took a shower heated by Gas? I often want to be that reporter who asks one of the enviro protesters how they got to the protest...probably 9 out of 10 came in a fossil fuel burning vehicle.

Responsible use is a realistic goal.

part of the development deal should include river habitat restoration/hatchery and smolt pens in the bay. utilizing local labour.

There has to be a balance. Some people enjoy hospitals, roads, sewers and treatment plants - where will the money for these things come if we kill every job producing development. We can protect the environment, and allow responsible development that generates jobs. Without projects such as this there will be no economy.

I'm all in favour of responsible, science based economic development that accomplishes that balance between the environment and our economy.

It is not realistic to stop everything. It is realistic to influence wise choices around how we implement these developments.

Also, when was the last time anyone here on this forum hopped into a carbon burning car, or heated your house with Nat Gas, or took a shower heated by Gas? I often want to be that reporter who asks one of the enviro protesters how they got to the protest...probably 9 out of 10 came in a fossil fuel burning vehicle.

Unfortunately logical thought eludes most of the anti crowd. Makes you wonder some days how some were able to hold a steady job and support themselves, mind you our social welfare system has enabled many of them to flourish in this country. Who needs work when you have a government right ??

part of the development deal should include river habitat restoration/hatchery and smolt pens in the bay. utilizing local labour.

Im sure that would be an easy agreement to come to, they would sign onto that in a heart beat.

A project like this could be a real win for the local indigenous group as well. Good solid on the job skills training, long term direct jobs, many hundreds of spin off jobs for them. But many would still like to see them under the direct ownership of the state rather than see them accomplish true self awareness as a people.

http://www.steelheadlng.com/project-news/

Last edited:
China is already getting it in gas form (not liquified) from Russia. Do we want to give them LNG for free just for a few jobs and the contamination of vast quantities of our fresh water? LNG cannot compete against Natural Gas unless it is heavily subsidized. https://ig.ft.com/gazprom-pipeline-power-of-siberia/

Last edited:
18 Billion dollar project from a company that has as far as I can tell only a few million dollars backing. Maybe enough to work out the paperwork and the permits but would most likely have to sell off the project to a major to get it built. That would be where the profit would is on a project like this. Perhaps the working stiffs that have experience with this stuff could chime in with their homespun knowledge.

Last edited:
I'm not sure this project backed by this obscure company is worth worrying too much about in the near future. The LNG project in northern BC is already much more advanced and has companies like Shell, Petronas and China oil investing in it. Politically new pipelines aren't that easy to get built.

Yes responsible use is a realistic goal. However, building more multi-billion dollar fossil fuel developments is not responsible.

Developing Barclay sound with wind farms or wave power would be responsible. Decarbonising our economy by 45% by 2030 would be responsible and create more jobs.

Climate change is here and now, and the 70 dead in California resulting from the latest fires deserve more respect. The BC Forest Service say that the regular fire season has got longer and more intense. The guys on the front line deserve more than to be just dismissed as collateral damage in the name of "jobs".

Sacrificing people's lives, now and in the future, for "jobs" is not responsible.

Just wondering if you think that massive wild fires burnt in North America long before we have the population we have now. Is it possible that massive wild fires aren't 100% related to fossil fuels and just Mother Nature doing her part. I'm not saying that things we are doing to this world don't have some affect but who would of known what was happening in other parts of the world with Natural disasters etc. up until more recent times. We as people really don't have accurate data on what has really happened all that long ago in the life of the planet. IMO And yes my family and I were among the 88 000 people that were evacuated from Fort McMurray two years ago so I'm not insensitive to the destruction that is taking place right now.

Back