WTB $300 000 Boat for $100 000. Serious offers only please.

I just went and checked out the 28 cutwster in port, just did a quick look over. Seemed to be in pretty good shape, engine compartment looked clean only 400 some hrs on it. A little bit of wear on some of the wood finishes and the leather seating on the port side had some wear and spider cracks
Oh crazy. Did the owner sound "motivated"? I guess guys were right about the quality of the finishes. The broker from Blackfish told me that another 2012 28 sold for $135 recently. You looking to make a quick flip there Dave?! lol

Not to sure how motivated the seller is, it’s on consignment at port boat house I believe. Definitely pretty nice boat but 170k sure is a lot of money. I check out the 24 cut water and thought that was pretty sweet. It’s actually 30 loa, has 3 sleeping areas and can cruise at 30 with out board. Think that’s the route I would go. The 30 is 35 loa by the way

I looked long and hard at boats before I decided to build. Again my final decision was more of a purpose built boat and doesn't check many of the boxes you are after. In saying that I have spent and continue to spend a lot of time looking at boats non the less. I had probably 4 boats on my list to bring up from the South at one time or another. One boat that stands out to me for a lot of bang for your buck is the Grady White 305 Express. There are lots of them in the States and honestly not too far off the mark budget wise other than the JT taxes that are in place unfortunately. A big boat with arguably some of the nicest lines on the water....IMO

Completely agree on the 305 express. My slip neighbor up on the sunshine coast bought one after he traded out of his restored 23 hourston. He immediately repowered with evinrudes and hes out all the time. It looks like an awesome boat with a nice big dance floor out back. If I was looking that would be on my list for sure.

I’ve definitely been enjoying this thread. Like Raincity, I've been considering upgrading from my Bayliner for a while and have looked at the Cutwaters a lot. IMO they are sooo close to nailing my perfect family fishing/cruiser. They are great looking boats with a lot of great features but there are just a couple of details that I keep getting hung up on. Like why does a 28' boat need 4 sinks?? Does it really need a stove, oven, and microwave? You can make great meals with 2 burners and a BBQ. In the cabin I'd like to see a bench/lounge seat (similar to Bayliner/Whaler) on the port side instead of a stove and all those cabinets. Ladies always seem to love the lounge seats, plus they are great for entertaining. And afternoon naps. Ditch the 'coffee bar' in the cuddy and put in an actual closet for hanging rain gear and storage. There are a couple of other items I’d change up as well. I’m hoping they start producing the “Time Out” version soon for weekenders like me, so I can pick up a good used one in a few years. :)

But still, I think they are great boats and I keep coming back to them. All the best with the boat hunt Raincity!
There are a lot of boats like this that are designed to sell at boat shows and have features that are not practical in real west coast boating. There are boats like Seasport, Skagit Orca, Commander, Osprey which have time proven, practical designs, that have not changed much over the years. They tend to hold their value much better too. I look at the back deck of the Cutwater and there is so much upholstery and hatches and channels how do you clean all the blood and guts or mud from crab and prawn traps off that? Any good fishing boat has an uncluttered back deck. Too much fold this chair over, lower this table, move this cushion, etc. Like slammin Salmon said a wet locker is more practical than a coffee bar.

There are a lot of boats like this that are designed to sell at boat shows and have features that are not practical in real west coast boating. There are boats like Seasport, Skagit Orca, Commander, Osprey which have time proven, practical designs, that have not changed much over the years. They tend to hold their value much better too. I look at the back deck of the Cutwater and there is so much upholstery and hatches and channels how do you clean all the blood and guts or mud from crab and prawn traps off that? Any good fishing boat has an uncluttered back deck. Too much fold this chair over, lower this table, move this cushion, etc. Like slammin Salmon said a wet locker is more practical than a coffee bar.
One of the most sensible posts in this thread

I think every guy on this forum would agree x1000, myself included. What would their wives say though? lol. If she's not on board with this (pun intended) Then I'm stuck to the budget of "whatever I can sell the Bayliner for." We've spent four seasons together now hauling four prawn traps, four crab traps, buckets of ropes and buoys, a bbq, the tender with motor, three coolers with a weeks worth of ice, down riggers, mooching rods, bottom fishing rods, kayaks, air mattresses and two cases of wine on a couple long trips a year. Plus all the countless overnighters with everything minus the ice. I'm no expert on the West Coast lifestyle but I have learned the fine ying and yang of keeping a woman with zero boating experience wanting more. If the budget goes from 50k to 150k because of a flippy foldy seat that's hard to clean then I'm all for it. But yes between you, me and the fence post I think these boats are a joke.

Completely agree on the 305 express. My slip neighbor up on the sunshine coast bought one after he traded out of his restored 23 hourston. He immediately repowered with evinrudes and hes out all the time. It looks like an awesome boat with a nice big dance floor out back. If I was looking that would be on my list for sure.

We own a 330 express, cannot say enough good things about it, has all the luxuries + more than enough room to fish, can find some decent deals down south on older models.

Stizz you're steering this in favor of your argument. I understand where you're coming from and do agree that having a 50k fishing machine would be ideal... if I lived in Bamfield. Try living on the hook for 10 days and catching a lot of your meals. Try preparing some nice meals while out there. Most importantly try not killing your wife or having her kill you. Sure we could get moorage and the occasional hotel room as we jumped around and strictly use the boat as transport and for fishing but that's not what we've chosen to do. There were times when we were on the boat, literally didn't leave the boat for three days. And then there's fireworks nights. Not sure if you've ever experienced Van Harbor fireworks nights. My wife and I love to cook fancy meals and light some candles and drink some wine (in real wine glasses) while entertaining another couple. You can't do that with this boat. And yes I know that a lot of guys on here would scoff at that but it's what we like to do. But I thank you for your help as always.

Stizz you're steering this in favor of your argument. I understand where you're coming from and do agree that having a 50k fishing machine would be ideal... if I lived in Bamfield. Try living on the hook for 10 days and catching a lot of your meals. Try preparing some nice meals while out there. Most importantly try not killing your wife or having her kill you. Sure we could get moorage and the occasional hotel room as we jumped around and strictly use the boat as transport and for fishing but that's not what we've chosen to do. There were times when we were on the boat, literally didn't leave the boat for three days. And then there's fireworks nights. Not sure if you've ever experienced Van Harbor fireworks nights. My wife and I love to cook fancy meals and light some candles and drink some wine (in real wine glasses) while entertaining another couple. You can't do that with this boat. And yes I know that a lot of guys on here would scoff at that but it's what we like to do. But I thank you for your help as always.

Rain City I get what you saying and this takes me back to the Commander 30. The bridge is ideal for this type of entertaining if it's a bit chilly lots of room inside. Very economical to run and you don't need to touch land for days with that boat. Anyway I know the wife said it's a no.
I will keep an eye out for you.

Pretty popular here to do multiply day trips up the sunshine coast. Sure lots of dudes grunt it out in a fishing boat but much better in a cruiser.

I think its possible to find a happy medium

That sounds like a really good time!

I ain’t mad at cha
~Tupac

actually looks like a nice boat!
My good friend has the same boat but 32’.
it’s a nice cruiser. He Just paid $25000 to replace a motor though. Big boats with all the bells and whistles cost a bunch in repairs. Those floors lift with hydraulics to access the motors. Pretty snazzy.

Rain City I get what you saying and this takes me back to the Commander 30. The bridge is ideal for this type of entertaining if it's a bit chilly lots of room inside. Very economical to run and you don't need to touch land for days with that boat. Anyway I know the wife said it's a no.
I will keep an eye out for you.

The only downside to this is the fact he has a young family and when I was looking at moving up from the Whaler the command bridge was quickly ruled out as a falling hazard. Mostly for myself...anyway that's why I think the 305 express is an awesome compromise as a fishy express with a hull that can manage when the Straits are ******. I didn't want a boat that large and my budget didn't support it so for us, the Island Runner fit the bill very well. There are still days I stay off the Straits but the only thing I would change is a pod with an outboard. 26' with a decent vee and a pretty hard chine is awesome for these waters. We are very fortunate to have a small summer place with a slip 10 minutes from our cabin...and then with all the marine resorts in the Straits it is super easy to head off and then tie up for the evening if you don't want to take a chance on the hook. Pages, Secret Cove, to name only a few...

Speaking of which I would have like to have kept the Whaler too but the funds from that paid to rig the Hourston for fishing completely and a bit extra.

Back