Ever Seen an Orca in the Fraser River?

Van harbour yes...Fraser no. But I do recall a grey possibly up towards the port man a decade or so back...clearly lost..

I was born in Richmond to a commercial fishing family and spent a good part of my life on the Fraser river. In approx. 1960 while deckhanding on my fathers boat we observed a large male Orca proceeding upriver at Steveston in either July or August.
This was the only time this was seen and is still etched in my mind. I guess you can never say never.

That looks like blue water as well as tide lines where the orca is jumping, I may be wrong but, the FRaser never runs blue and those are ocean tide lines that I don’t think push that far upriver? I’m betting some one mashed together different images to get a “sexier” picture.

Cheers!

Ukee

They apparently come into the south arm at night. Or so I have been told

Edit: I tried a reverse image good search and that photo is a stock photo that comes up thousands of times.

To me it kinda looks photo shopped or it my be a filter all everything looks blue/white

upload_2018-11-13_13-0-1.png

Last edited:
That is the alexfraser bridge and considering the lighting being late in the day giving that intense shine I would say highly possible...in fact I do believe where that picture was taken...
Just off river road a pull out where
People fish in front of seaspan.

I know you can see the bridge from Boundary Bay. Its all flat farmland for the most part in between. Maybe high tide and some camera tricks?.....

I know you can see the bridge from Boundary Bay. Its all flat farmland for the most part in between. Maybe high tide and some camera tricks?.....

That makes sense considering the photographers comments

https://jonmccormack.squarespace.com/blog/2012/06/25/san-juan-islands-killer-whales-breaching

"Two days of waiting, one second of sheer panic - that pretty much sums up the life of a wildlife photographer. I spent the weekend with the wonderful folks at San Juan Safaris chasing Orcas. We spent a lot of time on the water looking for the resident pods and, while we saw some good things, the real treat came at the end when a fully grown male beached three times with Vancouver in the background. Each breach took less than a second and my only thought was "please God don't let me screw this up". The 6 frames below are a full breach from start to finish.
DSC3577.jpg

Whales weren't the only animals flying through the air. While we were out on the water a bald eagle and a golden eagle flew over the boat within minutes of each other. This was a fantastic trip and I feel incredibly fortunate to have seen these "flying wonders"."

That makes sense considering the photographers comments

https://jonmccormack.squarespace.com/blog/2012/06/25/san-juan-islands-killer-whales-breaching

"Two days of waiting, one second of sheer panic - that pretty much sums up the life of a wildlife photographer. I spent the weekend with the wonderful folks at San Juan Safaris chasing Orcas. We spent a lot of time on the water looking for the resident pods and, while we saw some good things, the real treat came at the end when a fully grown male beached three times with Vancouver in the background. Each breach took less than a second and my only thought was "please God don't let me screw this up". The 6 frames below are a full breach from start to finish.
DSC3577.jpg

Whales weren't the only animals flying through the air. While we were out on the water a bald eagle and a golden eagle flew over the boat within minutes of each other. This was a fantastic trip and I feel incredibly fortunate to have seen these "flying wonders"."

Chances of correct identification on the Golden eagle sighting versus immature bald eagle? 5%? :)

Back