WA Orca task force recommends 3-5-year commercial whale watching ban

Not a good approach IMO.

We need to focus on addressing the physical and acoustic threat pillar by following the science, which is staying back 400M to allow whales to acquire their prey.

The recreational fishing community has long advocated a best practice being implement a strong 400m bubble zone, where vessel operators are not allowed to jump in front of advancing whale pods, where operators who find themselves in closer than 400m proximity would be required to turn off sounders, and move away slowly (under 7 knots). This is about ensuring whales are able to hunt, ambush and eat their prey without being disturbed by vessel traffic. Whale Watchers can still position their vessels 400m away, and provide their guests with binoculars so they are able to view whales from a safe distance.

We can have both protection for whales and allow economic activities such as whale watching and recreational fishing...if we do it in a responsible way.

I think a 3-5 year ban on whale watching is over-kill. We need to also protect the economic values that whale watching and recreational fishing bring to small coastal communities in BC. Over a $billion/year combined ($713 million USD for recreational salmon alone).

I would certainly be in favour of restricting the hours in the day or days in the week to give the whales a break.
Also to restrict the number of whale watchers in an area.

One of the problems with current regulations and bubbles is that they don’t seem to be monitored or enforced.
Still too close. Still leap frogging.
Still harassing.
IMO

If we as a group get involved in the day to day operations of the whale watchers (in a negative light in their view to tbeir business) then we should expect them to do the same to us in return. Less Chinook fishing during times when stocks of concern are present, only fish certain days of the week, reduced limits down to one fish...keep that in mind when you go after someone...they will likely strike back

They have never asked us to support their activities...they have only asked if they could help us with Chinook recovery efforts. So not really sleeping with them, maybe holding hands at best. lol

I just posted this in the Here's what's new at PSF thread as I got an email sent to me but thought it's relevant here as well:

The Truth about Orcas, Seals and Chinook: A PSF Presentation

Pacific Salmon Foundation
Published on Nov 9, 2018

It's well known that the Southern Resident Orca population is struggling and one of the major issues is lack of Chinook - their primary food source. Scientists Dr. Brian Riddell and Dr. Andrew Trites address how we got here and what needs to be done in a presentation hosted by the Pacific Salmon Foundation. You can support Chinook restoration projects by donating to https://www.psf.ca/ by December 31st , 2018. Your donation will be matched and every $100 you donate will receive one entry to win a hand-carved Seawolf PEETZ reel. Become a part of the solution, donate today: https://www.psf.ca/

They have never asked us to support their activities...they have only asked if they could help us with Chinook recovery efforts. So not really sleeping with them, maybe holding hands at best. lol
Their description sounds a tad different?

Snip20181108_2.png

That came to the SVIAC boards attention and we are sure that it was not written by Dan himself. As it is definetly not his private project. Another example of knowing the person in question and how info gets mis represented the more people it passes through

The possible ban is on commercial WW opperations watching SRKW and it only accounts 15% of their WW time. or in 2017 SRKW were only in local waters for a grand total of 10 whole days.

While I am always somewhat against total bans, it's not the end of the world for their business. SRKW have already effected a lot of sports fishing areas by more than 15%.

From what I hear the WW have put at least as much $ into this Sooke Chinook project. I believe without their support it would not have gotten off the drawing board. Profisher may be able to confirm this. From that angle, they would have the right to get big credit for this project. So please spare us your unjustified frustration, searun.

If we as a group get involved in the day to day operations of the whale watchers (in a negative light in their view to tbeir business) then we should expect them to do the same to us in return. Less Chinook fishing during times when stocks of concern are present, only fish certain days of the week, reduced limits down to one fish...keep that in mind when you go after someone...they will likely strike back
The difference is they are hurrasssing the whales relentlessly. I am not.
My point is legit. Cutting us back is not.

From what I hear the WW have put at least as much $ into this Sooke Chinook project. I believe without their support it would not have gotten off the drawing board. Profisher may be able to confirm this. From that angle, they would have the right to get big credit for this project. So please spare us your unjustified frustration, searun.

But if you read their social media posts, they are taking full credit for the program as a strategy to make themselves appear to be the great conservationists, pushing the rec community aside. Last time I checked it was rec anglers who are doing all the work, fundraising etc. When the WW buy their way into claiming the project as their idea, and we are just "administrators" that is extremely disingenuous.

When I saw their posts, I went onto their websites to see what else they were saying about us. They are saying that physical and acoustic disturbances are an issue to find ways to push aside not embrace. They write things like "shift the conversation back where it belongs - improving salmon stocks and habitat." Sounds good on the surface, but if you read further they want to promote ignoring one of the most significant scientifically agreed upon threat pillars - physical and acoustic disturbance.

I started looking more closely at many of the people who are involved with the Green ENGO groups - the one's suing the government to stop rec fishing - funny how many are employees or former employees of WW companies. Hmmm. The more I dig, the more connections I'm seeing between those who would seek to do the rec community harm. I'm suggesting you take a look and dig yourself.

I sure would like to be wrong on all this, but where there is smoke there is often fire. Time will tell.

We are advancing the 400m bubble zone as a strategy that helps address physical and acoustic disturbance. The bubble would apply to all vessels under 60 gross tonnes, would require them to leave slowly under 7 knots when whales are inside that range, and require (if safe) the operator turn off sounders.

I would call my concerns "unjustified" if there was proof like the WW coming on side with this strategy
- it would allow us to work as a united front to speak with DFO to implement the bubble in place of Area Closures. The only exception to that being, in areas where we have strong science indicating a specific location is highly utilized for foraging etc., that we implement Special Management Zones (refuge areas) where no vessels are allowed - especially when whales are present.

So time will tell if the WW do indeed come on side to truly support the rec community - proof will be in their actions not words or money being used to distract us.

But if you read their social media posts, they are taking full credit for the program as a strategy to make themselves appear to be the great conservationists, pushing the rec community aside. Last time I checked it was rec anglers who are doing all the work, fundraising etc. When the WW buy their way into claiming the project as their idea, and we are just "administrators" that is extremely disingenuous.

When I saw their posts, I went onto their websites to see what else they were saying about us. They are saying that physical and acoustic disturbances are an issue to find ways to push aside not embrace. They write things like "shift the conversation back where it belongs - improving salmon stocks and habitat." Sounds good on the surface, but if you read further they want to promote ignoring one of the most significant scientifically agreed upon threat pillars - physical and acoustic disturbance.

I started looking more closely at many of the people who are involved with the Green ENGO groups - the one's suing the government to stop rec fishing - funny how many are employees or former employees of WW companies. Hmmm. The more I dig, the more connections I'm seeing between those who would seek to do the rec community harm. I'm suggesting you take a look and dig yourself.

I sure would like to be wrong on all this, but where there is smoke there is often fire. Time will tell.

We are advancing the 400m bubble zone as a strategy that helps address physical and acoustic disturbance. The bubble would apply to all vessels under 60 gross tonnes, would require them to leave slowly under 7 knots when whales are inside that range, and require (if safe) the operator turn off sounders.

I would call my concerns "unjustified" if there was proof like the WW coming on side with this strategy
- it would allow us to work as a united front to speak with DFO to implement the bubble in place of Area Closures. The only exception to that being, in areas where we have strong science indicating a specific location is highly utilized for foraging etc., that we implement Special Management Zones (refuge areas) where no vessels are allowed - especially when whales are present.

So time will tell if the WW do indeed come on side to truly support the rec community - proof will be in their actions not words or money being used to distract us.

Spot on.

It sounds like the DFO is now changing their tactic. They are looking to label their closure as more of an an abundance of Chinook issue as opposed to the noice disturbance of 2018.
Again, it’s absolutely preposterous that they are pointing the finger at the rec sector as the problem there because we put in the most time, money and effort into protecting the stocks.
They need to put their efforts towards habitat restoration, hatchery programs and culling the problem pinnipeds. Match that with a 400m bubble zone for all boat traffic and they should finally be on the right track. I try to tell them this in letters and emails, but I just get the generic response.

My on topic comment is they shouldn’t fully ban whale watching for he next 3-5 years but they should seriously enforce penalties on those boats that are not obiding by the rules. And they should put those fines directly back into salmon enhancement, and helping @Rain City buy his new boat!

Back