Important Mtg. Reminder: Nov. 6 Victoria & Area SFAB Meeting

You werent there so you should not comment on this SV , all I can say it wasnt a good one.

Still an area I spend most of time and fish, so yes I am going to say something. Sorry about that. Maybe it is because I am saying what most people will never say. It may sound harsh, but it not personal in any shape or form. I have tremendous respect to what Chris/Tom and SVIAC did in the past, but things are different now. Anyway it is done now and I am interested to see the new direction.

It does look that we need to call that halibut meeting.

As Kelly mentioned on here on early season. I asked a long time ago if it made sense to do what you said Feb- May for just the Area 19/20 fishery but was told the it was hard to model. I think it comes down to the fact we are pretty mobile as a group and fish a lot of different areas. Maybe it really is time to think about an area specific fsihery on halibut if possible? I don't know that one but maybe Searun has more input.

Last edited:
SV not sure what SVIAC has to do with this thread? We are talking about SFAB and the continual attack on our rec fishery by DFO and others. In reflection it may be a blessing to let someone else take the helm at a time when things are going to get much worse. Having seen how people who know little think about the expertise and performance of those in the lead...Ryan will now bear that criticism and he will experience how unfair judgments can be when things don't go the way you want and are out of your control.

SV not sure what SVIAC has to do with this thread? We are talking about SFAB and the continual attack on our rec fishery by DFO and others. In reflection it may be a blessing to let someone else take the helm at a time when things are going to get much worse. Having seen how people who know little think about the expertise and performance of those in the lead...Ryan will now bear that criticism and he will experience how unfair judgments can be when things don't go the way you want and are out of your control.

X2 agree. This meetings was all about SFAB, not about SVIAC. Important to keep that clear. SFAB is about advising DFO. SVIAC is separate organization and is about enhancement projects and lobbying and has some very good plans to keep on doing this. Important not to confuse the two and spread misunderstanding.

Even more important is that we keep the big picture in focus and continue to strive to work together in the rec sector. We have a lot of challenges ahead and all the various rec sector groups need to stand together in an strong and united front!

While I only rarely fish Hali in Area 19 (so can't comment on what you saw on the water), we do have to look at the catch data to guide the fishery management decisions. I didn't make up those numbers. Perhaps this season was different, and the fish migrated (they do move) north. The fishing off Area 123 this year was amazing. I suppose we will see once the full 2018 data is published.

Regardless, you missed my point. That being there are inherent dangers of treading down the Area Allocation path. You might like how it spins one year, but perhaps not the next 5 years. Careful what you wish for was my point. Another point was when you have areas that are in close geographic proximity, setting Area TAC simply is a fools game. People move. Maybe guides don't move as much, but I've even seen a lot of that lately also. So the theory falls flat IMO.

While I only rarely fish Hali in Area 19 (so can't comment on what you saw on the water), we do have to look at the catch data to guide the fishery management decisions.

Since Halibut are recorded on licence but not reported, how is this number arrived at ?
I can't figure out how they would ever know exactly what tonnage came from what area ?

AGAIN S.V. you were not at the meeting thats what i meant about commenting , it would be like me commenting on someone elses meeting how could I IF I didnt attend....you always seem to miss the point....

Since Halibut are recorded on licence but not reported, how is this number arrived at ?
I can't figure out how they would ever know exactly what tonnage came from what area ?
You can't burry your head in the sand - the data is what it is. Like it or not, the Creel, Irec, Fly-over survey data is what drives the decisions. One of the best ways we can offset any survey bias (fly over etc) is for guides to step up and participate in the Guide Log Book Program. For rec fishers to honestly answer Creel Survey questions and Irec questionnaires.

A lot of guides (I mean LOT) are refusing to participate claiming they don't trust DFO, or are too busy, or no one listened to them 10 years ago, or my dog ate my homework. Please forgive my passion here, I've heard them all, and none of them wash in the reality of what DFO does to manage our fishery. Excuses that always end up landing the rec fishery in hot water when it comes to catch reporting/monitoring. Time for us to stand up and be counted...do a log book.

Not a popular answer - but I'm not here to make any popularity contest wins.

You can't burry your head in the sand - the data is what it is. Like it or not, the Creel, Irec, Fly-over survey data is what drives the decisions

I hear you Searun, but it's flawed data
and no, I don't have a better way of calculating short of mandatory license submittal.

It sure would be nice to do a one year mandatory reporting for everyone (or sizable fine for innacute or no reportng) to actually see how close or off the creel is. Do side by side for one year with the creel people having no access to the actual numbers until the data is releassd

You can't burry your head in the sand - the data is what it is. Like it or not, the Creel, Irec, Fly-over survey data is what drives the decisions. One of the best ways we can offset any survey bias (fly over etc) is for guides to step up and participate in the Guide Log Book Program. For rec fishers to honestly answer Creel Survey questions and Irec questionnaires.

A lot of guides (I mean LOT) are refusing to participate claiming they don't trust DFO, or are too busy, or no one listened to them 10 years ago, or my dog ate my homework. Please forgive my passion here, I've heard them all, and none of them wash in the reality of what DFO does to manage our fishery. Excuses that always end up landing the rec fishery in hot water when it comes to catch reporting/monitoring. Time for us to stand up and be counted...do a log book.

Not a popular answer - but I'm not here to make any popularity contest wins.

Done a log book9 out of the last 10 years. Was never asked.

It sure would be nice to do a one year mandatory reporting for everyone (or sizable fine for innacute or no reportng) to actually see how close or off the creel is. Do side by side for one year with the creel people having no access to the actual numbers until the data is releassd
Its called a Section 61 letter - DFO can drop that on any guide any time, which lands you a court date if you refuse.

Chinook, Ling and Halibut data should be very accurate because we are required to write it down and record it on our licence. It's a shame we toss in the garbage then do anything meaningful with it.

Searun I have fillled a log book since day one and dna on and off. I meant everyone not just guides. Obviously non guides could just turn in licenses at years end.

I hear you Searun, but it's flawed data
and no, I don't have a better way of calculating short of mandatory license submittal.
How about doing away with the paper licenses all together. Making the SFI app mandatory for everyone, and record our catch data there. This data would then be instantly sent to DFO, and BOOM! instant real time data to base informed decisions on. No more fill inn the catch survey emails cuz DFO already knows where I fished and what fish I caught.. No more guessing how much halibut TAC was taken.

Back