Important Mtg. Reminder: Nov. 6 Victoria & Area SFAB Meeting

First off a sincere congrats Ryan. But was disgusted by the crowd moving the vote ahead of items of importance on the agenda because they wanted to go home. So Chris obliged and the vote was held and as soon as the voting was over everyone got up and quickly left without dealing with the 2 items remaining and without the meeting being adjourned. The present board took some time to prepare to speak to all items of the agenda and to leave like that on mass was disrespectful and rude. Many of those there just to vote I've never seen at a meeting ever and many other very rarely.

SFAC meetings in the lowermainland used to get hijacked by groups for votes

It’s a shame when it happens

First off a sincere congrats Ryan. But was disgusted by the crowd moving the vote ahead of items of importance on the agenda because they wanted to go home. So Chris obliged and the vote was held and as soon as the voting was over everyone got up and quickly left without dealing with the 2 items remaining and without the meeting being adjourned. The present board took some time to prepare to speak to all items of the agenda and to leave like that on mass was disrespectful and rude. Many of those there just to vote I've never seen at a meeting ever and many others very rarely.

What time did the motion get forward for the vote?

It would have been just before or after 10pm...the meeting was scheduled for 7 till 10;30 which is long but there was lots to cover. The meeting was held over two sessions...one happened a couple weeks ago during the day in Esquimalt and this was the 2nd half...with a bit of a recap of the 1st meeting for those who missed it.

The first speaker was invited to explain an Oyster lease which will be placed just west of Possession Point and the boundary markers are going to interfere with those who fish that spot close to shore and up towards Sooke Harbour. That took up at least 40 minutes. Not very good timing for fishing areas being taken away from us....not going to be much left the way its going.

Creel Verification Project - Trailer Counting 2018 + Camera Info + angler DNA Collection
Enhancement updates

We in area 19/20 were once again assigned a totally out to lunch Chinook catch for August, I believe 15,000. I wanted to talk to the fly overs which were frequent this summer. I strongly suspect that the vast majority of boats that were on the tide lines fishing for sockeye were included in a one total count and were applied a Chinook catch based on creel interview observation percentages. I wanted to put forward a motion that a new protocol be put in place that so the plane while flying over area 20 (specifically) do 2 separate counts..one of boats fishing from the shore to 1/2 a mile off the beach and another from the 1/2 mile to the border. Only the boats from the beach to the 1/2 should be assumed to be fishing for Chinook.

Last edited:
Chris did a quick recap of halibut because it took up most of the 1st meeting.

We in area 19/20 were once again assigned a totally out to lunch Chinook catch for August, I believe 15,000. I wanted to talk to the fly over which were frequent this summer. I strongly suspect that the vast majority of boat that were on the tide lines fishing for sockeye were included in a one total count and applied a Chinook catch based on interview observation percentages. I wanted to put forward a motion that a new protocol be put in place that that plane while flting over area 20 specifically do 2 separate counts..one of boats fishing from the shore to 1/2 a mile off the beach and another from the 1/2 mile to the border. Only the boats from the beach to the 1/2 should be assumed to be fishing for Chinook.

In this day and age I can’t believe electronic catch recording isn’t mandatory for all anglers just like on the license (Chinook, halibut, lingcod).

SKRW and the critical habitat proposals and current local closures took up a good chunk of time. Quite a few motions put forward which also took time to craft.

There was also a heated exchange at one point between two prominent people were going at it with each other at a decibel level used if you wanted to get someones attention across town. lol Just a good thing they were on opposite sides of the room.

We in area 19/20 were once again assigned a totally out to lunch Chinook catch for August, I believe 15,000. I wanted to talk to the fly overs which were frequent this summer. I strongly suspect that the vast majority of boats that were on the tide lines fishing for sockeye were included in a one total count and were applied a Chinook catch based on creel interview observation percentages. I wanted to put forward a motion that a new protocol be put in place that so the plane while flying over area 20 (specifically) do 2 separate counts..one of boats fishing from the shore to 1/2 a mile off the beach and another from the 1/2 mile to the border. Only the boats from the beach to the 1/2 should be assumed to be fishing for Chinook.

You said once again? were people fishing for sockeye last year? or do you mean 4 years ago? or what was the issue last year with the counts?

Chris did a quick recap of halibut because it took up most of the 1st meeting.
Darn, I think we were hoping (asking) for the SFAC groups to gather in structured input from SFAC participants in all the meetings as to their preferences. We provided the decision options tables, and even went to point of modelling several new options choices plus also modelling what it would look like if we are forced at IPHC to go down in our TAC by 10% and 20%...we even modelled shorter seasons. The big ask was let us know your preferences so that when we are given our TAC decision Feb 1 that the SFAB Main Board can make a choice and provide DFO with a regulations recommendation at the Main Board meeting Feb 7 - 9.

Little disappointing that could not have been covered early in a 3 hour meeting so everyone could weigh in. We need to know people's preferences.

First off a sincere congrats Ryan. But was disgusted by the crowd moving the vote ahead of items of importance on the agenda because they wanted to go home. So Chris obliged and the vote was held and as soon as the voting was over everyone got up and quickly left without dealing with the 2 items remaining and without the meeting being adjourned. The present board took some time to prepare to speak to all items of the agenda and to leave like that on mass was disrespectful and rude. Many of those there just to vote I've never seen at a meeting ever and many others very rarely.

I agree. Rude and unproductive to leave before other very important agenda items were discussed and feedback obtained to get direction from attendees.

Darn, I think we were hoping (asking) for the SFAC groups to gather in structured input from SFAC participants in all the meetings as to their preferences. We provided the decision options tables, and even went to point of modelling several new options choices plus also modelling what it would look like if we are forced at IPHC to go down in our TAC by 10% and 20%...we even modelled shorter seasons. The big ask was let us know your preferences so that when we are given our TAC decision Feb 1 that the SFAB Main Board can make a choice and provide DFO with a regulations recommendation at the Main Board meeting Feb 7 - 9.

Little disappointing that could not have been covered early in a 3 hour meeting so everyone could weigh in. We need to know people's preferences.

Hopefully Ryan the new chair (congratulations Ryan) will hold another meeting soon to discuss the very important agenda items that remain to get input on. Too important not to do this!

I would encourage the people on here and you know how you are to give Ryan the benefit of the doubt. I realize most of you hate change, and this is a lot to take in.

One of the reasons and we on SFAB have been called out in is to be more transparent and open in our processes. The old guys club has been used over and over. I am not saying I agree with people leaving, but a lot has to do with miscommunication. For example we up in Area 17 have begun broadcasting across Facebook and now looking into Instagram and other avenues. These are places most people spend their time. They don't really hang out on forum. I know I didn't get any emails for meetings.

My guess with people leaving early is that it is that people don't go to the meeting regularly that showed up. This area took a nosedive in participation about 4 years ago, and I would like to see that number return. As for halibut meeting it make no sense to discuss in afternoon on weekday when most are working in my opinion. Not to criticize but we are often challenged to our halibut decisions so its best to get maximum participation if possible.

Area 19/20 actually should have two meetings on this if possible I believe it is that important, and I would show up too one since I mainly fish halibut in that area.

Lastly. There were several people on here that took to on the candidates Facebook just ahead of this meetings making false allegations that industry control to SFAB. I found it disrespectful in my opinion, and paints a negative shadow on other area reps. If you think that way you either are stuck in that 100 ft Victoria view looking at your own area, or you really don't know the process. I am looking forward to seeing more of a 1000 ft view from our SFAB Victoria team.

Lets see what happens, and I strongly hope that you guys that supported Chris will support Ryan as well. This isn't a paid position, and it took real guts to step forward.

You werent there so you should not comment on this SV , all I can say it wasnt a good one.

Could someone please tell me who this Ryan guy is??

Back