Best rods for the money?

Looking for some new mooching rods, torn between new fenwick hmx’s or Shimano techniums. Any thoughts on which is better and/or recommendations?

I’ll say they are both arguably the best for their points. Want to spend a little less and get a very good rod? Get the hmx. want a high quality rod that most guides use and still not break the bank? Technium medium heavy. It’s what I’m rocking.

I love my hmx’s! Interested in what issues you’ve had fishin solo? Mine are going on 10-years of use, they’ve been stepped on, abused by amateurs and kids and still are going strong. Have both the heavy and light mooching models and like them better than anything I’ve tried on others boats other than techniques, which I find very similar in feel, or high end sage.

Cheers!

Ukee

Had a HMX that I bought a quite a while ago and loved it a few years later I bought 3 more because it was such a great rod. All 3 the top sections broke, and they were not abused. When I took the last one back I was told that the new run of HMX's all had issues, so I replaced them with Shimano Techniums. Still have my original HMX and still going strong, That said the Techniums are nice rods too.

I love my hmx’s! Interested in what issues you’ve had fishin solo? Mine are going on 10-years of use, they’ve been stepped on, abused by amateurs and kids and still are going strong. Have both the heavy and light mooching models and like them better than anything I’ve tried on others boats other than techniques, which I find very similar in feel, or high end sage.

Cheers!

Ukee

Been running HMX's for 10 years now. Run 4 of the medium action 10'6 for my salmon rods and love them, have not had one issue with them. As a matter of fact I am going and have gone to almost exlusive Fennwick HMX rods. Run 2 medium action 8'6" HMX for my lake trout trolling rods, run 2, 7'2" I believe it is HMX spinning rods for my Walleye rods. I am a die hard Fenwick man. Love em, for myself they are the best for the dollar. Good quality eyes and cork. I put many an hour on my rods over a summer, not one complaint.

Go with techniums, medium heavy. Great rods. I’ve fished m&mh HMX’s but the techniums have far better feel. If you’re not in a rush, shop around and wait till they go on sale. Found them for $150 at a boat show last year.

Go with techniums, medium heavy. Great rods. I’ve fished m&mh HMX’s but the techniums have far better feel. If you’re not in a rush, shop around and wait till they go on sale. Found them for $150 at a boat show last year.
And I’ve said this before, but on Boxing Day I treat stores like a garage sale. What can you do for this? $150 no problem on the techniums.
Fun fact I did the same thing last week on a halibut rod and they were like 15% off?
Sold!
Don’t be afraid to ask folks. They usually drop prices on bigger ticket items if you ask. Especially if you’re a familiar face.
Now I have to get these beautiful hali rods and reels wet.

And I’ve said this before, but on Boxing Day I treat stores like a garage sale. What can you do for this? $150 no problem on the techniums.
Fun fact I did the same thing last week on a halibut rod and they were like 15% off?
Sold!
Don’t be afraid to ask folks. They usually drop prices on bigger ticket items if you ask. Especially if you’re a familiar face.
Now I have to get these beautiful hali rods and reels wet.
I agree there are very few things I don’t ask for a “deal” on. Worst case is they just say no. I do have to admit my wife hates it when I ask. She thinks it is rude but is works more times than not.

technium are good

Just remember - 99% of the time the rod sits in the rod holder. This is not a fly rod, you do not need to spend $100+. It sits there and you stare at it that's it. You buy a g-loomis for a trolling rod and you're a sucker.

technium are good

Just remember - 99% of the time the rod sits in the rod holder. This is not a fly rod, you do not need to spend $100+. It sits there and you stare at it that's it. You buy a g-loomis for a trolling rod and you're a sucker.

Unless you also use it for weighted rod cut plug mooching...

Back