Educate me on prawning pls

Could somebody please send me a link to the best knots to tie up the lines to the traps?
I bought the fancy rolls of rope with the sinking line already built into the top and I have the round basket style traps with A1 floats.

Could somebody please send me a link to the best knots to tie up the lines to the traps?
I bought the fancy rolls of rope with the sinking line already built into the top and I have the round basket style traps with A1 floats.
A lever knot usually works.

Double sheet bend works the best IMHO. The single can jam w heavy pullingf4ba77ca9552349f6407911d8e64c7ce.jpg

Personally I would make a spliced eye (loop) in the rope and place a caribiner (obviously stainless) on the loop. It makes things easier when removing the buoy or traps from the rope. Check out this video....it was pretty helpful for me.

Also, I know a lot of folks use a garbage bucket or something similar for the rope. This never really worked well for me, especially when I was alone. I've been using a simple hose reel cart that folds away nicely and can handle the 800' of rope

Last edited:
I also splice eyes in mine, make the loop on the float end large so it will slip through the eye of the float and choke to the float. I use milk crates for storage and seems to work well. I can't take all the credit for these as my Brother in law showed me these tips. The more times the rope goes in and out the puller and crates the easier it gets.

Mike

Personally I would make a spliced eye (loop) in the rope and place a caribiner (obviously stainless) on the loop. It makes things easier when removing the buoy or traps from the rope. Check out this video....it was pretty helpful for me.

Also, I know a lot of folks use a garbage bucket or something similar for the rope. This never really worked well for me, especially when I was alone. I've been using a simple hose reel cart that folds away nicely and can handle the 800' of rope

I just tie a figure 8 knot in the end of the rope to get a loop and use a carbiner. Then the 2nd trap up the line gets hooked on with just a regular prawn line snap.

@reeltordarius , do you have any photos of your hose reel cart that folds away? I've never seen one that folds away. I have a modified hose reel to store my line but only handles 450' worth.

A lever knot usually works.
You're supposed to ask "what's a lever knot?" then I'd say "it's the kind of knot that's so ****** you just cut it off and lever there!"

No?

Last edited:
I just tie a figure 8 at the end of the line and attach my first trap to it with a snap or a dog leash clip depending on the trap. Then about 30-50 feet up the line I tie a munter hitch for the second trap. The munter hitch will go through our ace line hauler no problem with 5/16" line

I tie a bowline at the end to attach my weight then 6 feet up I use line snaps like your downrigger clips but for rope the 50 feet another trap then a another weight

These are $3 each and I use them to attach my second trap to the line. Never had a trap move with it. No need to tie a second knot in the line.

Attachments

• 3D32B2F8-A3B1-4011-844D-E36804E5E736.jpeg
    3D32B2F8-A3B1-4011-844D-E36804E5E736.jpeg
    37.8 KB · Views: 403
Cool. How long of a “leader” do you put from the clip to the trap? What knot do you tie to the clip?

I just tie a figure 8 knot in the end of the rope to get a loop and use a carbiner. Then the 2nd trap up the line gets hooked on with just a regular prawn line snap.

@reeltordarius , do you have any photos of your hose reel cart that folds away? I've never seen one that folds away. I have a modified hose reel to store my line but only handles 450' worth.
It's pretty much the same one in the link. Both handles (the top one for moving the cart around and the one for reeling the line) fold down and out of the way....not exactly a complete "fold-away" option but enough to allow me to throw it in the cuddy and out of the way.

Prawning was good in finlayson last weekend. Good size prawns and got our limit easily.. had to prawn shallow tho.. one commercial trap "Prawn S*ar" dropped right on top of my trap - fortunately I was able to untangle the lines and get my trap back!

Back