2018 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

The flats tend to produce better on a flood tide. Looks like you were out on a slow ebb. A run of coho went through the flats last Sat and I had a few good marks at mid depths on the finder on Sunday. Last week was good early in the week and on Sat but haven’t heard much caught since then.
Thanks for the feedback Irishwolf!

I'm reading the whole of Cattle Point is now closed to all vehicles. Anybody tried to launch today?

I was just down there. If you arrive with a boat they’ll let you launch. No other traffic allowed through. North entrance and launch are closed.

I launched today, they allowed boats no problem.
The cops should have the campers gone within a couple hours

Last edited:
Beauty day for fishing just wish the fish would have cooperated. 10 -noon on OB flats without a bite. 20 boats there, saw one caught. Moved to Constance and fished til 4:30 picking up one 9 lb spring and one undersized. Only other bites were lots of those pesky baby lings I always seem to get plagued with out at Constance. Half the time you don't know their on and continue to drag them around. Bait was the only bite for the salmon.

Got out to the flats a couple times over the weekend. Friday was a pro-d day so the kids were out with me in the fog. At least a dozen fish on and 6 up to the boat with almost all played by the boys including a double header. We kept a 10.5lb chinook and released the rest (4-6ln). Sunday out there again 1030-1230 with a couple buddies. Slower but the fish were still there. 6 on and kept two at 5/6lb and a 9lb. Friday’s leader was 4” sandlance but Sunday had every hit on 3” herring spoon. Dummy flashers on the cannon ball and nothing on the line.

Andrew, can show a pic or drawing of how you set up a dummy flasher? I wonder if the fasher would get in to the prop while at the top. It may be different since I am in a small tinner. Thanks.

Out Yesterday on Constance Bank. In the current before the tide change nothing but shakers. After the tide change and in the afternoon there were lots of winter feeder Chinook, many clipped and likely all hatchery. We hooked up a lot including double headers. Many are not very big but all were legal. Some are getting up into the 8lb range. Best hook up rates was down 85 feet on the rigger in 77 to 83 feet of water. They are not fussy and were hitting both glow plastic and fast moving spoons like Coho Killers. Belly contents included lots of needle fish and some small herring and squid. For their small size they are good fighters if you turn the drag almost off.

Last edited:
Out today off the waterfront from Mcaulay to Clover Point from 11-4pm. Two fish to the boat both small, a ling & a rock cod. Tryed bait, AP's, skinny G, Coho killers with a few different flasher combos but nothing would bite. I did mark some bait and fish in the usual spots and was lucky enough to have a warm,sunny,calm day on the water.
Only one other boat out with similar results. Hope to get out again soon with better results.

Went to constance monday morning. Pretty lumpy out there, and only a couple other boats made it out. Decent action, 3 fish in the boat. Small glow and white spoons were working best. Probably worth going to constance over fishing the waterfront if theres a break in wind.

Back