Beach Journal 2018

Christ this forum is ridiculous. A guy posts up reports (isn't this a "reports forum"?) and gets slammed for it.

Good on ya treblig.....keep it up despite dicks like @onefish who think they should set the rules in cyberspace and in the outdoors.

And you wonder why the beaches are busy. Clueless

Geez.....these guys noted below ALL beat treblig to a beach where he didn't have a chance to report on; really weird how that happened. :rolleyes::p:confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:

A great sign that salmon was in the area but that was allot of anglers. We met an angler that just arrived as we did and he said there was over 24 anglers there . To many anglers for us. We stayed awhile but just could not reach the ones that showed near us. We decided to venture south again and found a beach showing movement in the water. .

Last edited:
WE cover in traveling time beaches access up to 2 hours ( Campbell River ) all the way back to Nanaimo. Very difficult to always be the first. The longest day 7 hours actual fishing, we covered 17 locations . The last three outings have had the common issues. You either find them and they don't bite or they are being chased by seals or they are not there at all. Three beaches we were on top of them but the seals kept them moving and they were trying to stay out of the seals grip. The majority of anglers have been fly . We did meet with one fly angler who said he had three on using a California Neal..... oh well thats fishing

NOTE 5,610 views .

Last edited:
Treblig - Thanks for the reports. They are great and appreciated by the majority of anglers who spend time surfing the REPORTS web page. Ignore the haters...

J

Christ this forum is ridiculous. A guy posts up reports (isn't this a "reports forum"?) and gets slammed for it.

Good on ya treblig.....keep it up despite dicks like @onefish who think they should set the rules in cyberspace and in the outdoors.

Geez.....these guys noted below ALL beat treblig to a beach where he didn't have a chance to report on; really weird how that happened. :rolleyes::p:confused::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Unfortunately there are alot of obnoxious culls on this forum. That is why very few people bother reporting any more in some areas. Its just not worth the BS.

Thank you for all your support positive members. It was the lack of protecting and supporting posters who want to share that is bringing down other forums. Those moderators lack the back bone to remove and lets also say ban the offending individuals under the guise " OH they are long time member so they must be have a bad day " and it continues their fore the posters stop sharing. A bully is a bully no matter how they do it . I have to say since I came back that the support is very welcomed and extreme positive. I hope other members see this and start sharing again. What I do see instead is negative posters not have having the initiative to start their own post so they will try to derail reports and make it theirs. Over all though I try not to respond to negative members but let other positive members support all who want the share .
Again Thanks and let move forward in sharing and mentoring.

Thank you for all your support positive members. It was the lack of protecting and supporting posters who want to share that is bringing down other forums. Those moderators lack the back bone to remove and lets also say ban the offending individuals under the guise " OH they are long time member so they must be have a bad day " and it continues their fore the posters stop sharing. A bully is a bully no matter how they do it . I have to say since I came back that the support is very welcomed and extreme positive. I hope other members see this and start sharing again. What I do see instead is negative posters not have having the initiative to start their own post so they will try to derail reports and make it theirs. Over all though I try not to respond to negative members but let other positive members support all who want the share .
Again Thanks and let move forward in sharing and mentoring.
This is what its all about. Not shooting down another member for reporting on a spot or giving a good tip. My hats off to you Treblig. Need more member that follow the same lead.

I also commend your efforts here,Treblig.The fact of the matter is not everyone on this forum owns a beautiful boat or has deep pockets.Your style of fishing enables the not so priviledged to get out and enjoy this great sport that we all here love.Keep it up
and screw the haters!

I also commend your efforts here,Treblig.The fact of the matter is not everyone on this forum owns a beautiful boat or has deep pockets.Your style of fishing enables the not so priviledged to get out and enjoy this great sport that we all here love.Keep it up
and screw the haters!

Well said @fshnfnatic. Even the members that now have deep pockets and great fishing boats, probably started out with nothing and beach fishing was a way to enjoy the sport we all love. Thinking maybe spreading the proper etiquette for catch and release beach caught salmon might be a good lesson for some. As well as making it known to someone doing it wrong. Most probably don’t even know they are harming the salmon. (Giving the benefit of the doubt here, please endulge). @treblig keep up the good work and as most have said, ignore the haters. We don’t have enough time (fishing) on this earth to do anything else.

Oly

Beach Journal October 21, 2018

Today was a special day as my eldest son and daughter were coming out with me today. It is a special day alone when you can share an adventure with your kids lets alone have them catch salmon.

For days I kept thinking were can I take them. So many beaches lately turned up blank or salmon that were tight lipped. I always put so much pressure on my self as I want them to catch salmon.

Two areas I was going to zone in. One that was close to home and the other 1 ½ hour drive. We decided to go north the farthest. Nearing our goal I said we were going to deviate and stop at another beach just for a quick look. It turned out a good choice. As I have always said timing and guessing is in allot of beach fishing.

We could see the surface in a distance move as a school of salmon was just under the surface. We recognized three more areas of water with movement. No seals and that's all we needed to see to start our day.

We turned this day to a fantastic day Jessica had four on and landed three; Adam had the first on and landed it. I had two on and landed one. Success came from an Gold croc with an orange stripe and then a pink zinger at the end of the day as they had moved to far out for casting a spoon.

Great day to have my kids with me

This is an info note for those that do not know . This is an area that has one wild and one hatchery retention on the East side of Vancouver Island. These photos are the fish that we kept.

Attachments

• PA200024.jpg
    PA200024.jpg
    381.8 KB · Views: 129
  • PA200010.jpeg
    PA200010.jpeg
    353.9 KB · Views: 127
  • PA200015 2.jpeg
    PA200015 2.jpeg
    412.5 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Well I couldn't pass up the same zone. I treated my kids to an adventure I might as well share with my palls. We arrive at twilight and we could easly see salmon movement. Tides had moved forward one hour and was dropping. Very cold this morning . We had to put on the wind breakers. Water was very cold so you need to have thermal leggings if your not wearing neoprenes. The fog came in and was so thick we couldn't see more tham 50 feet. Not sure why but the spinners started to get bites and then the pink two inch Zinger. We had six on and three landed. One monster buck Coho and two very silver Chum kept. Very surprised for the level on pink colour in the Chum salmon meat. I did make a point to try all lures . i guess it best to bring the whole tackle store with you as there is no consistancy this year for us.

This is an info note for those that do not know . This is an area that has one wild and one hatchery retention on the East side of Vancouver Island. These photos are the fish that we kept.

Attachments

• PA210007.jpeg
    PA210007.jpeg
    420.6 KB · Views: 121
  • PA210015.jpeg
    PA210015.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 114
  • PA210006 2.jpeg
    PA210006 2.jpeg
    333.3 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Great report Gil!

Curious as to what zone is open for 1 wild, 1 hatchery retention on the east side?

Thanks

BL

Great report Gil!

Curious as to what zone is open for 1 wild, 1 hatchery retention on the east side?

Thanks

BL

With respect I am torn to inform you as it is not well known ( Beaches ) . I would like to keep it that way . With the kids outing there was only four other anglers and yesterday only two. If you do find it please keep it to yourself and also make sure that the DFO hasn't changed it. You never know with the DFO . Its one wild and one hatch for many years. Again not many anglers know and those keep t to themselves.

Last edited:
But remember there are river mouth closures From DFO:

Area 14 River Mouth Closures In Subareas 14-11 and 14-14, the tidal waters within a 75 m radius of the mouth of the Trent River, the mouth of Hart (Washer) Creek and the mouth of Mallard Creek.

I’ve always found your beach fishing journal to be epic Treblig. I’ve always wanted to catch quality salmon off the beaches as you do,but opportunities seem to be somewhat limited in the South Island area.

That being said, a Saturday night beach date with the girlfriend quickly turned into me running back to my truck hoping I had a fishing rod, as we watched salmon jump meters off a local beach.

In a few hours as I watched multiple species of salmon dance, I was rewarded with a pair of fairly dark & mature springs that aggressively chased down spoons and a pair of bright shiny coho-all released to continue there journey wherever they may end up. One of the coolest and most unexpected fishing experiences I’ve ever had.

Attachments

• DC964F86-4EFC-4B9A-A0A4-645F182D8979.jpeg
    DC964F86-4EFC-4B9A-A0A4-645F182D8979.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 125
  • 251574EA-9C79-4E49-8FE4-73B883300372.png
    251574EA-9C79-4E49-8FE4-73B883300372.png
    796.6 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Back